Neuvation Cycling R28X Aero wheelsets - clincher

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

• Shimano 8, 9, or 10 and all current SRAM systems or Campy versions available.
  • Rim: Deep V 27 mm rim 19 mm wide 480 grams (note that this is a new rim for this model and the rear wheel only has a wear indicator groove in the center of the braking surface). 20H. R series wheels use 6066 aluminum alloy rather than the standard 6061 which makes them much stronger. Most other companies would tradename something like this (I like "Unobtanium" - but choose to tell you what it really is instead). I used sleeved rims instead of welded because the can be made lighter and are stronger and less expensive than welded rims.
  • Stainless Aero spokes 4.3 mm wide with alloy nipples non drive side rear. Brass chrome plated nipples drive side rear.
  • Rear Hub 265 grams uses four precision Abec 5 level, low contact seal, cartridge bearings. The hub uses a 6901 and 6902 while the alloy cassette body uses two 6901 bearings. Cassette bodies are made from forged and machined alloy. The forging adds to the durability without increasing price.
  • 1620 grams (weight without quick release)
  • With quick release skewer (57 grams).
  • Rim tape is included
  • Like all Neuvation wheels, 100% hand-built using high and equal tension. Wheels are made to spec for radial and lateral run out and specific tensions for front and drive side rear spokes.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Dirk

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2013

Strengths:    Price
    Weight
    Durability

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these wheels to serve as my training and commuting wheelset after having raced the R28 for several seasons. These wheels are the best value I could find. They are inexpensive but light, durable but snappy. This is a fantastic value and a no-brainer purchase for anyone looking for another wheelset.

Submitted by Jon

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, lightweight, outstanding support for problems

Weaknesses:    On the other side of the country from me (so shipping is slow), problems with rear axle and rims.

Bottom Line:
    I have had 3 rear wheels and one front wheel. I moved from Mavic Aksium that came with my Cervelo Team Soloist (since discontinued). These wheels were substantially lighter than the Aksiums and, of all of the changes I've made, this is the one that made the most obvious difference in my riding; particularly starting from dead stops and up hills. The front wheels has been utterly solid for 3 years now; I had to do a tiny bit of truing, but nothing significant.

The rear wheel has been nothing but a pain in the neck. I've cracked two rims, and broke an axle. Maybe I'm just really mean on wheels, but I only weigh 185 and I'm definitely no professional, so there's a limit to the amount of power I'm generating. On the positive side, these wheels are so inexpensive, I don't even really care if I break it; at this price I can even keep spares around. They also have some pretty good protection plans and you don't really have to send back the entire wheel (which is expensive), you can remove the spokes and hub and send those back in a small (cheap) box and they'll return a rebuilt wheel with a new rim to you.

Also, if the wheels are too loud, I've found that applying a minimal amount of grease between the cassette and the hub makes them practically silent. So you can go with whatever level of noise suits you simply by applying grease.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Team Soloist, SRAM Force groupset

Submitted by Kurt Cira a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2011

Strengths:    Trouble free, smooth, strong, look good, great quick release.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    I was upgrading the components of a frame I built in 1985 from DuraAce 7400 to SRAM Force, and I needed to find a replacement for my old freewheel hubs. For the price of a new DuraAce rear hub I instead decided to try the Neuvation R28 AeroX wheels, which I purchased direct from Neuvation. They arrived a couple of days later. I put them in my Park wheel stand and checked for trueness. Both were very good, the rear needing only about 1/4 turn on 1 spoke to make them perfect. I have since put 800 miles on them riding a lot of sidewalks and bike paths that put a good deal of stress on a wheel. I weigh 185 dressed to ride, and so far I have not had to touch a spoke. They still spin true, the hubs are smoother and drag less than new (which wasn't much). I particularly like the design of the quick release lever provided. They lock back securely, but have a shape that keeps the ends of the levers back behind the fork and rear stays where they are unlike to catch on another riders' wheel in a pack. The rims have not been gouged or scratched by dirt on the brake pads.

Overall I give these a 5, as they are as advertised and have exceeded my expectation on reliability, as well as being an exceptionally good value.

Favorite Ride:   Neuvation R28 AeroX

Purchased At:   NeuvationCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CX clinchers on DuraAce 7800 hubs.

Bike Setup:   Vintage custom steel criterium racing frame, SRAM Force group.

Submitted by Shawn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Strengths:    Price and quality

Weaknesses:    I little bit heavier than advertised. 27gr heavier than advertised on the front wheel and 36 for the rear.

Bottom Line:
    I've been riding on these wheels for a few months now. I have been very happy with their performance. They spin forever and are a very solid wheel. I've smacked a few pot holes and bridge joints that would like to knock your fillings out and the wheels are still true. Apparently the pre 2009 wheels were lighter but had issues with cracking around the spoke holes. I've talked with a guy that had that issue but hasn't had the problem since they replaced the rims with the newer model. When I was wheel shopping I couldn't find a wheelset with the same specs for less than $420 a pair. I got these when they were the deal of the day for $229.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Allez Sport

Submitted by TheRick109 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    For a $300 set of wheels you can't complain much.

Weaknesses:    Build quality from factory.

Bottom Line:
    I've been reading about these wheels for a few years and decided to pull the trigger and get a set. The wheels worked fine up until about 2000 miles. The rear wheel broke a spoke and upon replacing it I noticed the rim was cracked at the spoke holes in several locations. I emailed the company and they covered it under warranty. I asked for a stronger rim on the back and they did at no charge. However, I got the rear wheel back and the build quality was not as good as the original. The rim went out of true almost immediately and when I went to straighten it out I found the wheel to be out of dish by 1/4". I fixed it and started riding but the wheel kept coming out of true. I detensioned all the spokes and found that no spoke prep was ever applied. So far so good but nobody should sent wheels out that aren't built correctly.

Favorite Ride:   Long and steady