Oval Concepts 745 wheelsets - clincher

• 7075-T6 axle with sealed bearings
  • 20H radial laced Sapim Laser J Bend 14 gauge spokes

Submitted by Zender a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2013

Strengths:    Price, looks, durability, braking, no hassle with clincher

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
These came stock on a Fuji Altimara cyclocross bike. I was a bit dubious about a bonded aluminum+carbon rim, radial spokes for a cross wheelset but they have held up to a pretty decent season of cross practice and racing under a 165lb rider. They are impressively heavy for a carbon wheel. I wouldn't go out and buy these as a primary race wheel but they are plenty strong enough for training and clinchers+ a heavier wheel are what you want for training anyway.

Submitted by Dylan K

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, Carbon, Aero, Smooth hub

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Ive been using these wheels for about 6 months. They came stock on my 2011 Kestrel Airfoil Sl Pro equiped with ultegra 6700. Ive put about 1500 miles on them and have used them for both training and olympic distance triathalons. One of the main strenghths are that they are very durable enough to use for training. I have a set of bontrager RXL wheels that I switch over to from time to time for training purposes so Im not always gettng the aero benefit but have done so less and less do to the durability of these wheels. Overall, the hubs are very smooth. I have used Zipp 404 firecreset tubulars, bontrager 6.5 tubulars, and reynolds 66mm depth clinchers and cant tell that much of a difference between the hub smoothness. However, they are by far more durable. I felt a small difference in aerodynamics between the oval concepts and the forementioned wheelsets but for the price difference, I dont believe it is worth the extra $2K. They are a little heavy but if used in a TT or triathalon that only makes a marginal difference when getting them up to speed. Once at speed, I cant say there is much of a difference from the weight factor. They arent as deep as the other wheels I have used and I think this is why I noticed a difference. Overall, I cant complain about this wheelset. If you have $2500 to spend, I would go with Zipps, Reynolds, or Bontrager; but if not, these are a good wheelset to purchase. Overall, I have no complaints. please email me at dmkleiss@eagle.fgcu.edu if you have any questions about them, I would be more than happy to answer them.