Performance Forte Gemini Rear wheelsets - clincher

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

• A semi-aero rim with a machined braking surface provides confidence when braking
  • Spoke count: 28
  • Weight: 1020gm

Submitted by CHAOTICMESS a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2007

Strengths:    Still showing promise, will regrease the hubs this winter(me=slacker!)Hit many potholes in the dark commutes, bombproof!

Weaknesses:    Too heavy for racing, but the weight and durability is great for training.

Bottom Line:
On the forth season now with these wheels. Well over 9,000 training miles on them. Never had to true them once. I don't see them anymore on the flyers/web (discontinued?.) Don't have to think about them, ever.

Favorite Ride:   Anytime pedalin

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Alex rims, Bontrager

Submitted by mj a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    reliability, strength, not heavy, handles speed and rough roads excellently

Weaknesses:    aesthetics (if you care)

Bottom Line:
I've been using it for 9 months and after around 4000km (2700 miles) and one crash the wheel only needed fine truing. It survived countless potholes and bad roads, I did not have a flat with it.
I am only active recreational rider but don't believe this is a racing wheel. However, it is certainly the next best thing. Very strong, very reliable under all possible conditions, not fancy looking ( I could not care less)

Favorite Ride:   anywhere

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   few mid range Mavic sets, older types

Bike Setup:   105 group on Reynolds steel frame, carbon fork, etc

Submitted by tarue a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    very nice price! you can get it for free if you save points!

Weaknesses:    not a very nice wheel! not strong enough!

Bottom Line:
dude! I got them because they where free! first 50 miles hit 1 pothole and the rim was severly bent. Couldn't even ride home! performance replaced with no questions asked! 10 miles into the replaced rim i was climbing wisconsin ave (washington dc) and 2 spkes broke at the same time! wooooow! i got what I used points for hahahahahah!

Favorite Ride:   any 1 i'm on

Purchased At:   performance bike sho

Similar Products Used:   mavic aksium

Bike Setup:   specialized allez elite, 9 speed ultegra, now with sparticus pro wheels!( happy)

Submitted by CHAOTICMESS a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2006

Strengths:    Stay true, good price

Weaknesses:    The stickers are coming off after 2 years due to rocks and peeling.

Bottom Line:
After about 2 seasons of riding/training and long distance (brevets) I have had good luck with my Gemini's. I rely on them for my long distance events or fast training rides. I have hit numerous potholes and they have stayed true. My weight is 180 and I was a little skeptical on the durability but have yet to have any problems after about 35oo miles!! Highly recommended for the budget rider.

Favorite Ride:   southwest WI

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager race, ritchey aero pro, alex rims

Bike Setup:   2004 Lemond buenos aires

Submitted by daydreamin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    They seem pretty stiff but not too stiff and roll pretty nice. I will know more as I put more real miles on them. PRICE is excellent!

Weaknesses:    Noisy hub! (loud clicking when freewheeling). Just keep pedaling and you won't hear it. He he.

Bottom Line:
I bought these rims (front and rear) for my 13 year old Centurion. The original Mavics finally gave out (not bad considering no broken spokes ever!). I keep this bike as a backup to my new Trek. I am real happy with them so far. I don't notice any weight difference but they seem to roll better (I'd hope so after 13 years). My only complaint so far is the rear hub is noisy compared to a Shimano hub. But it's not as loud a a Campy hub. I know Campy parts are supposed to be great, but I don't like my bike sounding like I have a playing card taped to my forks). I don't have a lot of miles on them yet, but so far I think they're a great bang for the buck!

Favorite Ride:   Patterson Pass

Purchased At:   Performance Bike onl

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race X Lites, Mavic/Shimano wheels.

Bike Setup:   Centurion Ironman, Shimano 600 7spd, Performance Gemini Wheelset. Also Trek 5.2 Madone, Ultegra everything and Bontrager Race X Lite wheels.