Performance Fuego Road Wheelset wheelsets - clincher

Submitted by Marlon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, well-built, low cost.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest wheels out there. May be flex for heavier riders.

Bottom Line:
This is an update at just past the 2 year mark for the Performance Fuegos (rebadged Alex A-Class 320) wheels.

First off: I've finally broken a spoke on my rear wheel! That's given that I've been using these wheels for over 3000km as my commuting/training wheelset (I splurged and got an FSA race wheelset) and given that I was involved in one major crash with them at the 2003 Victoria Bastion Square criterium, nicking the rear spokes. After about 11 months of sheer abuse (riding in rainy Vancouver weather, not bothering to spin out water from the bearings, not drying the wheels out, etc.) with me weighing in around probably around 160 pounds with all my commuting gear on, a spoke on the rear wheel finally went. The rear bearings and cassette body also are starting to show their age. BUT - both wheels are still fairly true and the front wheel bearings are still smooth. Performance has been top notch given all the abuse I've given these wheels, including winter potholes and the usual road/grime of the Pacific NorthWest. Bottom line: these wheels have proved their worth. I've noticed on the web that the Alex ALX320 wheels come stock on some lesser well-known cyclocross bikes - I can attest to the burliness of the wheels! While not 100% completely bombproof, they fairly come close.

I'd also like to post a retraction on my previous posting - the Performance Titans are rebadged Neuvation M28 Aero wheels (http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels/m28.html).

Favorite Ride:   Triple Crown (Seymour, Fromme, Cypress in 1 day)

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Open pros laced to Ultegra (standard 3x), Rolf Vector Comps, MA3 laced to 105 (standard 3x), Neuvation M28 aero rims, FSA RD-400 wheels.

Bike Setup:   1999 Trek 2300, upgraded with Time Stiletto carbon fork, Thompson seatpost, Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle, commuting/training setup with fenders, all Ultegra.

Submitted by Vassago a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Strengths:    Fairly light (~1650 grams), strong enough, aerodynamic, cheap(!), reliable.

Weaknesses:    Difficulty mounting some tires, they can be a little slow to spin up.

Bottom Line:
I've been quite impressed by these wheels. For $250, I got a relatively light, aero, and strong set of wheels. I weigh about 155 and have ridden these wheels hard and fast over everything from smooth tarmac to chip seal and they've stayed true through the thousand miles I've put on them so far. My old bike (Giant OCR3 with 105/Ultegra) got hit by a car while I was on a warm-up ride, and although the frame was dented in two places, the wheels are still true. Power transfer seems good, and they are fast on the flats. I've had some trouble mounting tires (Vredestein Fortezza SE) but besides that, I've had no problems.

Favorite Ride:   Anything

Purchased At:   www.performancebike.

Similar Products Used:   Alex DA13, Bontrager Race Lite

Bike Setup:   Trashed bike: Giant OCR3, Fuego wheels, 105/Ultegra mix
Current: LeMond Victoire, RaceXLite tires, Aspide arrowhead seat, Thomson seatpost, Ultegra, Look A5.1 pedals

Submitted by rivercliff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2004

Strengths:    Great performance for the price - Highly recommended

Weaknesses:    Could be smoother breaking surface

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset for the $$$ -- They are faster than my previous Shimano and Bontrager sets. Have not had to true them after 1 year of riding, not the smoothest of roads.

I have to agree with the previous review that they will catch crosswinds -- I thought it was just me until I read that.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike.com

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager -- Shimano (cheaper Shimano, don't remember model)

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR 105/Ultegra mix

Submitted by SANDICO a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2004

Strengths:    PRICE! Almost unbeatable value for the money. Spin up quickly. Much faster than the Cosmos. I noticed the difference the first time I rode them--they seemed to have added 1 mph or so to my average and the effort level to get there seemed lower.

Have stayed true despite some rough winter roads I've ridden them on.

Weaknesses:    Braking surface has a "lump" where the weld is. LBS tried to sand it out, but its still there.

Too many stickers--I took them all off and the wheels have a stealth look now.

Bottom Line:
Purchased these after a road hazard (4-inch nail) punctured the rear rim on my OEM Mavic Cosmos wheelset. Have been very pleased with these wheels for the most part. They spin up faster than the Cosmos, and their aero properties are clear--for better and worse. Pretty fast on the flats, climb very nicely. But very sensitive in cross-winds, I've had to lean into the wind a few times to maintain tracking.

I am 175lbs and I have not noticed any substantial flex in these. They climb well, and they are also very quiet. No creaking or plinging when you stand or climb.

I rebuilt the Cosmos to use as winter wheelset (put some 25cc tires on, they weight about 75% more than the Michelin Pro Race on the Titans). When I swapped back to the Titans, I felt like I'd gotten a new bike--that much faster and lighter.

Favorite Ride:   Out to Luckett, VA and back--nice rolling hills out there!

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Cosmos.

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant TCR One, full ultegra, speedplay X3s. Shimano Flight Deck (which I HIGHLY recommend)!!

Submitted by Marlon a Road Racer from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Strengths:    Low cost. Fairly lightweight. Strong.

Weaknesses:    Unknown name brand, store branding. Some flex, not recommended for heavier riders (+175 lbs). Not lightest wheels.

Bottom Line:
This is an update on the Fuego (Alex ALX320) wheels, now that I've been using the wheels for about a year, with the rear wheel being in use full time on my bike. Note that I don't have Fuegos per se, but rather the ALX320 wheels (the website for Alex wheels is http://aclass-wheels.com/).

Bottom line: excellent value for the money.

Same caveats as in the previous review (not for heavier riders), otherwise wheel quality is excellent. Wheels are completely user-serviceable and spokes can be replaced with standard bladed/straight gauge/butted spokes). Wheel strength is good - I've used my ALX320 rear wheel on my bike for over 1000kms of riding this winter, and there's been no problems. Braking surface is good as expected, and durable as well - the wear on the Alex rear is better than my Mavic MA3 rim up front (although that could also be due to lower rear brake strength). Wheel strength has also been good for a low-spoke count wheel. My rear has come out of true, but that was after some 800 kms of hard riding over winter and city roads, no surprise there. Not too much noticeable flex in the rear or front, but then again I'm only 135-140 lbs.

Note: Some people have emailed me about the previous review I made on the Fuegos, and it's been confirmed talking with Performance store staff: the Fuego is a rebadged (read: relabelled) ALX320 wheel that is made specifically for Performance Bike. I'm also speculating that the Titan wheelset currently for sale at Performance is a remodeled ALX320 wheel - rim height for the ALX320 was originally 25mm to meet UCI code, but I think the Titans use a slightly deeper rim (27mm), hence the increased weight of the Titans.

Favorite Ride:   local Vancouver, BC mtns.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Open pros laced to Ultegra (standard 3x), Rolf Vector Comps, MA3 laced to 105 (standard 3x).

Bike Setup:   Trek 2300, 1999 model.