Performance Titan wheelsets - clincher

3.39/5 (23 Reviews)

• New wheels, precision-engineered to combine aerodynamics, light weight, and the strength to handle hard training
  • Deep 27mm aero alloy rim with machined braking surface
  • Bladed spokes to increase aerodynamics (16 1x front, 20 1x rear)
  • Smooth sealed cartridge bearing hubs with strong
  • Light alloy axles
  • Front wt: 750g
  • Rear wt: 1000g

Submitted by Travis a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Cost, weight

Weaknesses:    Stiffness

Bottom Line:
These were purchased on sale at Performance. My all-in cost including rim tape and installation was $150. The front seems slightly out of true after about 150 miles of commuting and weekend rides. It isn't bad enough to take into the shop yet. I weigh 170 and often carry a backpack up to 20 pounds.

My biggest problem is the spokes hit my speed sensor when I'm out of the saddle pushing it up hills. Also, be sure you buy the long stem tubes when purchasing as Performance simply moved over the short stem tubes I had installed on the previous wheels and I couldn't get my pump onto the valve.

Favorite Ride:   Lookout Mountain

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Comp

Submitted by scottspeedster a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Strengths:    price?!?!!? bang for buck!?!, (only if they stay true now), budget decent looks?

Weaknesses:    no rims strips, no skewers, came untrue initially very quick, don't have a quality look to them, silent hub.

Bottom Line:
Think twice before you buy these wheels. I did arguably way too much research while deciding on new rims and due to time constraints, I ended up with these.

I was orginally considering these, Neuvations, Aksiums, and a pair of used American Classic 420's. I ended up with these because I destroyed my last rims (alexrims r500 aka absolute crap) just before my first race. Ultimatly I justified it because of their price but ultimatly, thats why I'm writing this.

I got these for $150 at the store then had to pay $6 more for rim strips and $10 for mounting the cassette (simple task...). They did not include skewers, so I had to use my old ones. I was told the spokes were retightned right when I bought them but that I would need to have them retightened after a few rides. This was understandable. Out the door my price was $166.

65 miles later my rear was absolutely wack and the front was slightly out of true. $40 and a pro truing at a bike shop after that I have some rims that have a *very* slight wobble that was "impossible to correct".

That puts my total price at $206 and a bit of my time.

Overall, these wheels may seem cheap to begin with, but dont include rimstrips and skewers and will need some attention fairly soon. had there been a performace close to my town, I probably would have brought them in there and asked for a discounted truing... Maybe i'm not that experience with non-handmade wheels but I was caught off guard with a $40 fee 65 miles later.

If it means anything, I'm 6'1" and about 165 lbs. Time will tell if these bad boys will stay true now but if they dont, I'm walking straight back into performance with an unhappy look on my face...

In terms of looks, the stickers are unsightly, and my paint job looked a little "cracked" just like one of the other guys on here. They don't look well made. They do look better then my old alexrims r500's (crap) because they are a little deeper and have bladed spokes. I also did notice the bladed spokes in the crosswinds.

Also, I thought it was worth mentioning that the freehub is virtually silent. Like no noise. If you like the stealth approach, you may like these but I personally like it when people can hear you coming if you coast for a second behind them.

I did not feel a noticable difference while riding between these and my old rims. *maybe* a very slight increase in acceleration but that could be me hoping.

If these untrue quickly again, I may as well have got some nice handbuilts. I already wish I would have got the slightly used AC 420's for $350.

Lastly, if you are just dying to get these rims, wait till performance has a sale. I looked today out of curiosity and they are 15% cheaper now than when I got them a week ago.

oh and I can feel a significant "knub" where the rim was pinned. For some reason brake pad dust collects there too.

*you get what you pay for*

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   ---

Bike Setup:   2005 Scott Speedster S3. 9 speed 105.

Submitted by outofthesaddle a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

Weaknesses:    Out of box quality issues

Bottom Line:
I've had several sets of these - both Performance Titan and Supergo Korso. I understand that they're re-badged Neuvations but don't know that for a fact. They're reasonably light (around 1700), reasonably stiff, fairly reliable and most importantly - dirt cheap! I've used them as pit wheels for 'cross racing, training wheels on my road bike and most recently, my current set has been on a 'cross bike that I use for mountain biking - rutted single track, , stream crossing, rocky trails, etc. These wheels have been bombproof! I broke a spoke hitting a rock in creek bed a year ago but I dropped in a standard stainless spoke ($10 installed at local Performance) and have had no issues since. The only knock is that their quality control isn't great so you may have to check a few sets in store to find a set that's true, round and doesn't have any bearing issues. The upside is that it's Performance, so you can return them if they have any issues. I like them so much I just bought another set today!

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra/Open Pro, K Elite, K SSC SL, American Classic 420, Rolf Vector, Velocity Escape, etc.

Submitted by koufax32 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth, quiet wheels, quiet hubs. CNC machined braking surfaces provide smooth, strong, predictable braking. Aero spokes w/ low count allow coasting speed w/Ksyrium ES riders! Stiffer than my old Mavic Ksyrium Equipes w/excellent power transfer, and 120 grams lighter. Peeled off all the stickers for a flat black stealth look which goes great with my Scott CR1.

Weaknesses:    Broke the front wheel in the first 30 miles! Performance replaced with no question...hopefully, I don't have to replace again!

Bottom Line:
The Bad. Broke the front wheel on the first 30 mile ride at the weld/sleeve seam!

The Good. Back to Performance for a no questions asked wheel exchange...from then on, no problems with the wheelset despite pounding over chip seal and other rough road surfaces as well as smooth roads at speeds up to 49 MPH.

Online support from Perfomance confirmed that the Forte Titan wheels are the same as Neuvation M28 Areo2-3 series and support also stated the hub problems that the Neuvo/Forte wheels had been having were solved.

So, after the inital 600 miles and lots of sprints, hills and tough testing, my confidence in the Titans continues to grow...I'll post again after the winter riding season.

Rating a 3.5 at this time...rating will go higher if the performance/durablitiy continues to hold up, making the Forte/Neuvo's an even better value.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Samish Loop w/ Stairsteps

Purchased At:   Performance Bike/Sea

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium Equipes

Bike Setup:   Scott CR1 w/Dura Ace/Ultegra gruppo. Selle Italia saddle. FSA carbon seatpost and stem. Vittoria Rubino Pro and Vredestein Fortezza SE tire sets.

Submitted by Ventruck a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Strengths:    Light, pretty, deep rim profile, price.

Weaknesses:    This thing would be a dream deal if it was stiffer, and more reliable.

Bottom Line:
Maybe I bought a defective Titan (heard of this case), but I really can't relate to anyone's sucess with how true their wheels stay. I only have the front since my previous one was damaged and of low quality. Also, the Titan was at sale price so I figured it could be a potential "steal".

6 months, 3 times had to be re-trued, swapped out for some higher-grade spokes, and the Titan still comes undone easily - and I usually take evening rides on a smooth private neighborhood road and weigh 148lbs. My bike is a hybrid is one that would be heavier than a typical road bike, but it has a suspension fork to abosrb any bumps whatsoever. Like I said, I can't relate to any reviews about it's reliability so maybe I really just got myself a defective wheel.

Realibility aside, I thought it was a very light wheel, and rolled very smoothly. The only aspect of performance I wasn't liking was the lateral flex in corners. It makes for a very numb feeling when cornering and sometimes it'd hit my brake pads. I also had a hard time accelerating as "powering out" felt flexy. These two issues draw towards the spoke integrity, which likely draws to the wheel's reliability all over again.

I never saw the wheel on any other bike I've seen. Maybe it does work a lot better with a performance road bike, but in the end you just have to know if you REALLY need such a light wheel. Daily rider = a no-no, despite the reviews praising long-term reliability. It could be a great budget race wheel or back-up.

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Edgewood with some upgrades here and there.

Opinions on TIME ICLIC TITAN CARBON CARBOFLEX ROAD PEDALS ???

I need a pair of road pedals on my bike. What do u think about the TIME ICLIC TITAN CARBON CARBOFLEX ROAD PEDALS ? Thanks..... [h=1][/h]Read More »

TITAN PRODUCTS - Custom Titanium Frames

Just received mine and am very happy with it ... :thumbsup: [ATTACH]263259[/ATTACH] I only have to build it now ... :rolleyes:Read More »

Chinese titanium - Beware Titan Product

This is a warning to all those thinking of buying a Chinese Titanium frame from Xi’an Titan Product. The following is my personal experience of buying a titanium frame. Unfortunately I seem to be one of those people who if you’ve heard of some crazy sh#* thing happening to someone and thought ‘its ... Read More »

Why Riders on Titan Road

Was there a race or tour today the utilized Titan Road in Littleton/Roxborough (Colorado)? Bunch of cyclists and police in the area.Read More »

New Forte Titan or Used Bontrager Race X Lite

Hi there! I'm looking to replace my front and I'm trying to choose between a new Titan Forte, which is the house-brand for performance bike, and a used 2005 Race X Lite. I think they're about the same weight (~750g). They're both $60. My main question is: What sort of life-span do wheels ha ... Read More »