Reynolds Assault wheelsets - clincher

4.26/5 (19 Reviews)

Reynolds Assault C Clincher Wheelset(0x983d9980)

Submitted by Steve a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    -Fairly light
-Good overall ride quality

Weaknesses:    -Breaking performance
-Hubs mediocre

Bottom Line:
I have been using these as my everyday wheel and have been fairly happy with them overall....until today. During a decent from a CAT1 climb, I had to hit the breaks pretty hard going into a corner and the rear rim catastrophically failed blowing the rear tube apart at close to 40mph. The rim delaminated from the heat and I was not riding the brakes, just a quick hard break going into the corner. Luckily I did not lose the tire and hit the deck. Had to hike down with the bike on my back since it was so destroyed. If your on flats and small rollers the wheel should be fine. If you spend time in the mountains look elsewhere....regardless of all the claims of such issues being resolved in full carbon clinchers.

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404, Dura-Ace 7850

Bike Setup:   Cervelo S2 - SRAM Red

Submitted by iploya a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Great value in terms of looks, weight, overall quality, and performance.

Weaknesses:    2011 graphics are hideous; but decals are easily removed.

Bottom Line:
Redesigned for 2011. Out of the box, the 2011 graphics were awful, but the decals were easily removed using my fingernails, with no cleaning products.
The blue brake pads (supplied) were easy to install and have NO squeaking or noise issues; they are quiet. The carbon braking surface does respond differently than aluminum braking surfaces, but after a good break-in period they now stop well.
I am nearly 180 lbs and 5’10-1/2”. The wheels have performed well under the sprinting and descents at up to 50mph (See http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95149876). I cannot quantify how stiff they are, but I have not noticed any brake pad rubbing under torque like I have sometimes experienced with other wheels. The wheels are exceedingly round and true out of the box, and remain so after a few to several hundred miles.
On my recent hill test, I braked hard and long on repeated descents and checked the rim temperature at the bottom. They were slightly warm to the touch, but not hot. I am not sure how they would do in a 20-mile mountain descent because I do not have any of that terrain near me. I wanted to mention that, because there were some complaints of thermal damage on the previous model years (2010 and earlier); the 2011 wheels have been redesigned for improved thermal resistance, including the blue brake pads and treated scrim braking surface.
The wheels were pretty light – somewhere in the low 1500s. Light for carbon clinchers at this price point. I have owned some fancier custom wheels, but I have no complaint about the stock Asian hubs and round spokes on the Assaults.

Favorite Ride:   Road

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   IRD Cadence (aero and regular); custom wheels (Sapim spokes, CK hubs, etc.); Ksyrium ES and SL clinchers; SRAM S80

Bike Setup:   Road bike.

Submitted by rock31 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Strengths:    very light great control low rolling resistant exelent on the clime

Weaknesses:    noise on the break

Bottom Line:
this are without any doubt the best set of wheel i have had and this is my four pair. very light very fast very good on the corner. yes a little noise when you hit the break but the feel is great and very low rolling resistant. clime bear mounting has never bin so mush fun. hold speed of 45 on a down hill for the first time is great, mid twenty on flat road with easy. yes is you have the money this are the wheel for you

Favorite Ride:   bear mountin

Purchased At:   wheel and sprocket

Similar Products Used:   easton ec90 mavick cosmic

Bike Setup:   giant tcr dura ace 7800

Submitted by Pedalon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2010

Strengths:    Speed
Price
Braking

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none

Bottom Line:
I pulled the trigger on these wheels about a month ago and am dissappointed that I did not buy them sooner. They are very fast roll smooth and even at speeds over 40mph I feel very confident. I read and read reviews on these and many other wheelsets but overall for the money I came to the conclusion that these were the best wheels on the market. I like the quality and warranty and the additionl $200.00 insurance was a no brainer being a training/racing wheel. Weight is 1518g according to my scale. If you are on the fence I think you will be vey happy with the quality and ride along with how much you saved vs similar spec'd wheelsets. As far as braking I have had absolutely no problems even with high speed flats or downhill rides. As far as I can tell they stop as well as well as any other wheelset I have used but I did get the swisstops due to some of the reviews about the reynolds pads.

Favorite Ride:   Any and all

Purchased At:   Competitive cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Mavic's,HED,ZIPP,LEO,Dura ACE 7850

Submitted by Jacek Gajewski a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, fast and remarkably resiliant to all the pot-holes around Brisbane streets. Look pretty good too. Very little noise when braking, especially compared to most other aero wheels.

Weaknesses:    Could have had flat spokes for that amount of money.

Bottom Line:
Purcahsed the wheel-set knowing full well I would use the wheels for both training and racing. In fact, ever since the wheels have been put on my bike (Trek 1500) they have not come off. Love them.

Favorite Ride:   Brisbane Riverloop

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Velo

Similar Products Used:   Previous wheel-set were the standard Bonties on the Trek. Can't compate.

Bike Setup:   Trek 1500. Single biggest upgrage are the wheels.

Reynolds Assault tubeless conversion

Has anyone converted reynolds assaults clincher to tubeless? Have done alot of research, seems like a great idea. However my LBS talked me out of it. Comes down to this: in a steep decent, will the brake track hold up with the tubeless tire with all the heat build up. I weigh 200 lbs. According to H ... Read More »

Reynolds Assault vs Strike?? Which one?

Im choosing between the Reynolds Strike vs Assault. What really determines which depth shouls be used for aero wheelsets? Use will be primarily for road biking and not triathlon use. If im not mistaken the assault is 46mm deep while the strike is 56mm. How do you choose which depth?Read More »

Mavic Ksyrium SL vs. Reynolds Assault - which are better climbing wheels?

i have 2 sets of wheels, silver ksyrium sl at 1550g and assault clinchers at 1487g. ive been using the reynolds wheels as climbing wheels, but sometimes i wonder if the ksyriums actually have less rotational inertia. the rims on the mavics must be lighter, though the spokes are clearly heavier, an ... Read More »

Military sexual assault

Attributed news from Senate hearings: [url=http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/04/chambliss-blames-military-rapes-on-the-hormone-level-created-by-nature/]Chambliss blames military rapes on ?the hormone level created by nature? | The Raw Story[/url]Read More »

MILITARY SEXUAL ASSAULT: Nature at work?

Republican stalwart Sen Saxby Chambliss explains the problem for us: [QUOTE]Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) on Tuesday suggested that the “hormone level created by nature” was to blame for rapes in the military and that all pregnant servicewomen should be investigated to make sure their condition was t ... Read More »