Reynolds Attack wheelsets - clincher

3.36/5 (33 Reviews)

Reynolds Attack C Clincher Wheelset(0x983b8e50)

Submitted by James K.W. a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    -Light (very slightly lighter than my DT Swiss RR1450 alloy wheelset)
-Aerodynamic (to some extent)
-Roll smoothly with solid performance from Reynolds house-brand hubs.
-Clincher tires mount easily to these rims (gatorskins, fortezzas, and open corsa evo tech)
-Rims sustain long, heated descents admirably (my weight: 170lbs)
-Very strong carbon structure is evident when you first see/touch the wheels, and palpable when riding.

Weaknesses:    -Require removal of tire, tube, and rim tape to adjust truing/spoke tension.
-Factory red rim tape stretched, and allowed some contact of carbon to butyl tube around the valve stem. This led to repeated flat tires until I replaced the tape with ordinary Velox canvas adhesive rim tape. Problem solved.
-Braking is noisy, even with CryoBlue pads. The way the braking surface is designed included a rough sort of scrim in the layup for better heat dissipation, I think. It makes a whirring noise when brakes are applied. Some people are annoyed by it, others don't care. I have used Reynolds black pads, SwissStop Yellows, and Kool Stop carbon pads, none of which eliminate the sound, and also produce loud, high-pitched shrieking at high-speed application, which CryoBlue pads have eliminated completely.
-The rear wheel seems to flex when I get out of the saddle- or at least the brake rubs on one side of the rim when under high load. Perhaps my RR1450s do this too, but because of the silence of alloy braking tracks, I don't hear it. Nonetheless, it's annoying to hear a rubbing brake when climbing hard, and I wonder if it is costing me some power.

Bottom Line:
MSRP is closer to $1,100 as of 2012. I paid $1k at LBS.
Repeated flats, braking noise that was hard to solve (thanks to LBS giving me wrong pads with wheels:-(
This made a poor first impression. But after 6 months and 3000+ miles, I think the Attack clinchers will last me for quite a while. I've had the rear wheel trued once after about 2500 miles, and it seems to be holding true.

-GET the correct blue brake pads if you get these wheels.
-FORGET the red rim tape and get some Velox instead. Avoid the headache of pinches from their plastic strip.

Heck, if I had to do it over again, I'd buy some White Industries or Chris King hubs and have them custom-laced to some DT or Open Pro rims. I think I'd be happier with that, even if it were to add a few more grams, it would be a more bulletproof set up, without the hassle of internal spoke nipples, and with a potentially stiffer rear lacing, or 28 or 32 hole construction.

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss RR1450, Mavic Ksyrium ES, Reynolds DV46, Reynolds Stratus tubular.

Bike Setup:   Calfee Luna Pro, Attack wheels, Dura ace.

Submitted by Eric

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, light, great looking, good braking.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These are my first set of carbon wheels and I couldn't be happier. I weigh 180 lbs. and have these on a BH G5 with SRAM Red that weighs in at 14.8 lbs. Great climbing wheelset and I have had none of the squealing or braking issues that some mention. I don't ride in the rain so the braking issue should not be a problem for me. Most of my rides are climbs so I appreciate the 1410 grams weight.

Submitted by Ryan

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, durability, performance, looks.

Weaknesses:    Braking can result in a squealing sound. Brake pads are $52 per set.

Bottom Line:
Wheels came with used 2010 Tarmac sl pro. I use it daily for training rides. I'm 165 lbs. Braking with these wheels can be tricky. Just know the road and brake early and gradually. No problem.

Submitted by Kiwi Surfer a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2012

Strengths:    Light, spool up fast, strong so far.

Weaknesses:    Bad reputation amongst some of the crowd, braking isn't the best compared to other carbon wheels. As is the case with Carbon braking surfaces, they warn against long steep descents that need hard braking, especially if you are a big kid. You will blow through the specified brake pads.

Bottom Line:
Came spec'd on bike build.
I roll these on my training bike and are set mostly for the longer climbing routes. I weigh in at 220 and am a TT/MTB Xterra geek but can pop with a 1600+ watt plus sprint when I get my chances. I have yet, over the years to ever have a problem....but I also don't take pot holes head on, bunny hop all obstacles, train tracks, you name it. If you are going to sit hard in the saddle and take a hit from the road, it doesn't matter what wheels you have under you.

I have all original spokes with several thousand miles on them LTD. Hub gets serviced with no issues. Will they eventually fail? Probably, but I have yet to have anything that hasn't failed even under the intended uses.

Updated models will probably address the concerns of those that have had bad experiences. I wouldn't venture to buy any used though FWIW.

Favorite Ride:   Mt D NG to SG and back.

Similar Products Used:   HED 3s, Williams 58, Zipp 404, TTR2

Bike Setup:   Orca, DA 7900, FSA SLK compact, FSA Carbon Cockpit, Reynolds Attacks,

Submitted by Poiter a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2012

Strengths:    Looks Good , Light

Weaknesses:    Spokes keep breaking , noisy free hub , awful braking

Bottom Line:
Great looking wheel and nice and light but thats where the compliments stop! Spokes just kept popping in the front wheel and in the end it wrecked the rim. I had them replaced and tensioned properly and it kept happening.Horrible braking in the dry so imagine in the wet and thats with Reynolds recommended own pads and SwissTops as well.Never again for me. Alloy braking surfaces and more research here I come!

Favorite Ride:   Big Loop

Purchased At:   Ribble

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Madone 5.9

YLE Windows 8 news reader by SC5 Online Ltd Makes Systems Prone to Attack

The YLE news reader created by SC5 Online Ltd programmer Martti Malmi and his team has been found by users to have a remote command execution web vulnerability. The vulnerability allows remote attacker to execute code inside of a the application to compromise the device. One user is already experiec ... Read More »

Rack Attack - Garage Sale's

[FONT=arial]Colorado Rack Attack's are having our first Garage Sale. We have tons of Used, open-box, return items that we will be offering at prices too low to advertise. Trunk, Hitch, Roof top, Bike, Ski, Kayak, Cargo boxes. You name it, we probably have it.[/FONT] [FONT=arial] [/FONT] [FONT=arial] ... Read More »

poor man's "Giro Air Attack" from Bell

[URL="http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/bell-2011-faction-bmx-skate-helmet"]poor man's "Giro Air Attack" from Bell[/URL][URL="http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/bell-2011-faction-bmx-skate-helmet"] [/URL] thoughts?Read More »

Giro Air Attack Shields at REI $180

REI is having their big sale right now and the Air Attack is 25% off.Read More »

Giro Air Attack Shield

Finally arrived my new Giro Air Attack Shield size M.[ATTACH=CONFIG]280476[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280484[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280483[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280482[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280481[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280480[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280479[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280478[/ATTACH][ATTACH ... Read More »