Reynolds DV3K C wheelsets - clincher

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The quality and performance of Reynolds carbon wheels with a beautiful carbon weave exterior. The core is still unidirectional carbon for incredible lateral stiffness. 46mm profile for superior aerodynamics. 20 spokes front; 24 spokes rear. Front and non-

Submitted by Jim a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    speed, weight, ride quality

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Bought these for my 2011 P3. Could not be happier. Great rim depth for riding in the bay area. Very snappy and smooth. When you stand they go. Braking is better than expected. They climb like champs.

Favorite Ride:   Pt. Reyes

Purchased At:   Bonktown

Submitted by Scott in MD a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    20/24 spoke durability
2 year warranty
Great hubs
Lightweight ACC design
Clincher convenience and performance
Great aesthetics

Weaknesses:    Braking feel not as secure as aluminum
Round not bladed spokes (is this weakness or not?)
Spoke nipple not accessible unless tire removed

Bottom Line:
200 miles is a little early to pass judgement on a wheel set, but so far,so good. Reynolds places these wheels in the middle of their product line up between the professional SDV/DV/MV series and the "performance" level carbon Strike/Assault/Attack series wheels. The 46mm depth is also in the middle of their offering. DV3Ks are lower-profile than Zipp 404s (58mm)and Reynolds' other deep dish 66 designs, but I chose this mid-range depth on purpose, to accomodate my "enthusiastic - recreational" skill level in the wind during races like Eagleman 70.3, and also to save a little weight for my hilly Maryland rides like the Columbia Triathlon. The Reynolds DV3K clinchers arrived in a safe box with titanium skewers, carbon-friendly Reynolds branded brake pads, a spoke wrench, rim strips, and a set of tire levers. Noticeably missing from the nice package of accessories was a wheel bag. These wheels weigh mounted with new Continental GP4000S 700X23mm tires, 60mm valve tubes, a Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-28 cassette and skewers weighed 1450 grams rear and 1058 grams front, or about just over a half pound lighter than my training wheels (Neuvation M28 Aero 3's with similar set up), although I realize this is not all that helpful since I did not weigh the wheels alone with no other components. Reynolds reports 1500 grams, which is also lighter than the other wheels I was considering, mainly the Flashpoint FP's. I chose DV3K's for the all-carbon lightness and a good reputation for durability, with 20/24 spokes front and back. The black DT Aerolite and Competiton spokes are round, and not bladed, though ... I wonder about the advantage a bladed spoke might offer. Reynolds reports the hubs are "DT specific design" but they look and sound a lot like DT Swiss 240's to me. The gear ratchet is audible, but not annoyingly loud. One thing to note is that the spoke nipples are not accessible at the rim; you have to remove the tire to adjust spoke tension. The clearance of the spoke through the carbon rim inner diameter is very consistant and precise, though, and I did not experience any water intrusion after a 100 mile ride in wet weather last weekend. Ride quality is fantastic. The wheels are light enough (under 1500 grams) to feel snappy, and aerodynamic enough that I'm confident I'll race faster. The braking feel is good, but does not feel as secure and steady as aluminum. During my break-in rides, after I stopped trying to evaluate the braking feel, I did not notice any problems with braking feel at all ... even during a recent 100 mile wet weather fast century ride. After 200 miles, the wheels are true and I've started to worry less about the durability of carbon hoops and the $erious coinage I dropped on these. Also, I appreciate the two-year warranty, but noted that Reynolds asks consumers to register their wheels online within thirty days of purchasing. Overall, I am digging their great aesthetics, exceptional performance and crisp ride. I got a good deal on these wheels,so shop around (including your LBS!)... but I would buy them again in in a heartbeat based on my first impressions.