Reynolds Solitude wheelsets - clincher

3.61/5 (38 Reviews)

Reynolds Solitude Wheelset - (0x983a2220)

Submitted by CyclingPops a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2017

Strengths:    Strong and good looking wheels for the price.

Weaknesses:    None after many years on two bikes.

Bottom Line:
I have had these wheels at least 6 years maybe more. I have always weighed in from 230-240lbs or 109KG. I have NEVER had any issues out of them, Never broke a spoke or had to trued. Maybe I have been lucky. I normaly ride anywhere from 120-180 miles a week. I would love to ride Carbons like everyone else. But being a true Clydesdale that will never happen so these will have to stay around.

Favorite Ride:   Fort Benning Ga

Purchased At:   United States

Similar Products Used:   Bonrager Race wheels
Mavic Wheels

Bike Setup:   Felt Z-1 (size 58)
Ultegra
Speedplay pedals
Garmin 705 with HR and cadence

Submitted by Dom a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2014

Strengths:    Light for the price

Weaknesses:    Poor quality spoke nipples: breakages on a 73kg rider and spokes seized in nipples

Bottom Line:
Got these as stock on my bike.
I have had 2 spoke nipples fracture on the back and 2 on the front after around 6500km. OK I have ridden them a fair way but I have never had these issues with other wheels at similar mileage. Just decided to replace all 20 nipples on the front wheel after the 2nd nipple fractured - NOT something I want on my front wheel!
When I tried to replace, 5 of the spokes had seized solid in the nipples so I will need to cut them and replace the spokes too...but at least the wheel will be more reliable for another 3000km after which they'll be replaced with a better wheelset.
Overall the wheels are OK but for a rider at my weight to be breaking things I feel they are too weak & I wouldn't buy again.

Submitted by kyle palmer

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2014

Strengths:    cheap price

Weaknesses:    cheap wheels,noisy,spokes break!

Bottom Line:
Bought a new Masi carbon bike and these wheels came with it,they are noisy and you feel every bump and now at 1500 miles,spokes are breaking and nipples are coming loose,possibly need brass nipples but even then it probably won't help,they can't be trued up,very disappointing,save your money and buy Mavic's,my LBS said I create a lot of torque because I am very strong.

Submitted by Moon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2014

Strengths:    Decent price, I got them on sale for around $300.

Weaknesses:    Lateral stiffness and dampening is a little less than desired. You can feel every bump in the road.

Bottom Line:
These are good training wheels and can be raced on if needed. The bearings feel good and roll smoothly. Probability not get these for the MSRP, but the price I got them for made it worthwhile. Only put a out 1000 mi and like them so far, like not love.

Purchased At:   Performancebike

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium, Fulcrum Racing 7, Ritchey Protocol, Mavic Cosmo, Zipp 303.

Bike Setup:   Focus Izalco with Shamano Ultegra

Submitted by Bill W

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap

Bottom Line:
I ride 125 - 200 miles a week. Commute 35 miles roundtrip to work and long rides on the weekend. I bought these from competitive cyclist earlier this year to replace a 10 year old set of bontrager race lites that cracked where the spokes enter the rim. Initially they seemed fine. Nothing to brag about, but no issues either. At about 1200 miles the rear wheel went out of true. At about 1500 miles I broke a spoke 5 revolutions into my commute home. After my LBS replaced spoke they informed me that a good portion of the spokes had seized up and that if I had any other issues, they probably couldn't fix it. This is unacceptable.

I called competitive cyclist. Their reps were very helpful. Sounds like a lot of people have been having issues with these wheels. The guy I spoke with was not surprised at all. He also referred to this wheelset as "total junk." They took the wheels back and got me a deal on some mavic ksyrium elites. I am much happier now.

These are probably a good deal for a recreational rider, but folks who can transfer real power are going to destroy these.