Reynolds Solitude wheelsets - clincher

3.68/5 (34 Reviews)

Reynolds Solitude Wheelset - (0x983a2220)

Submitted by Bill W

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap

Bottom Line:
I ride 125 - 200 miles a week. Commute 35 miles roundtrip to work and long rides on the weekend. I bought these from competitive cyclist earlier this year to replace a 10 year old set of bontrager race lites that cracked where the spokes enter the rim. Initially they seemed fine. Nothing to brag about, but no issues either. At about 1200 miles the rear wheel went out of true. At about 1500 miles I broke a spoke 5 revolutions into my commute home. After my LBS replaced spoke they informed me that a good portion of the spokes had seized up and that if I had any other issues, they probably couldn't fix it. This is unacceptable.

I called competitive cyclist. Their reps were very helpful. Sounds like a lot of people have been having issues with these wheels. The guy I spoke with was not surprised at all. He also referred to this wheelset as "total junk." They took the wheels back and got me a deal on some mavic ksyrium elites. I am much happier now.

These are probably a good deal for a recreational rider, but folks who can transfer real power are going to destroy these.

Submitted by Mike Menius a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2013

Strengths:    Light; Fast; Durable; Value

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
Purchased these to replace stock wheelset and they have been excellent with no surprises. I weigh 185# and have approximately 1k miles on them so far over varied county roads ranging from very smooth to very rough. They are as true today as when removed from the box. Excellent product.

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Mavic; Shimano

Bike Setup:   2013 Felt Z85; 105; FSA Omega; Michelin Race 3

Submitted by James

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Strengths:    31mm rim depth, true out of the box and with 800 miles in first month, moderately light they weight 1615gm (on my scale)

Weaknesses:    Had to replace the rear wheel after 115 miles. Creaky as all get out. 2nd rear wheel is worse than the original.

Bottom Line:
I searched the web looking for wheels around the $400 mark, these came up as a great deal dollar per gram and performance. I was super excited when I found these wheels for less than $300 tax included. I bought them from a major national chain bike shop. After the 1st week I was back at the retailer to have them check out the rear wheel. Without hesitation they just gave me a new wheel. The second wheel was better, for a while. Now I have about 800 miles on it, it's still true but it creaks worse than your grandmas 100 year old rocking chair on a 200 year old wood porch. Without exaggeration, I don't need to call out "on your left" people hear me coming a good 30-40 meters before I pass them. I might not be as upset if I was heavy, but I only weigh 170lbs. I have no explanation for the creaking but I will be taking them back for a refund. Front wheel is great, rear wheel leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't really know how to rate the value and overall rating since I will be returning them. If the rear was quiet, they would have gotten 5's in both categories. I will be sending an email to Reynolds see what they have to say.

Purchased At:   performance bike

Submitted by bunny a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    Price, weight, reliabilty, climbing, acceleration.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
There wheels are an incredible value, IMHO. After 8K not a single issue, still true. Popped these on right out of the box and the acceleration and climbing was significantly improved, cornering solid. The rear wheel did make a few clicks over the first 1000 miles, but no noise since. Steady on decents and a joy to ride.

Favorite Ride:   everywhere

Purchased At:   online retailer

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium Equipe & Elite, Neuvation, Mavic CXP's, various custom wheels

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Amira Expert

Submitted by rayallen a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, light, aero, no broken spokes, looks good, easy to remove decals, good warranty

Weaknesses:    None that I can see other than these (and most other lightweight wheelsets on the market) wont be good for you if you are quite big or overweight .Makes sense really doesn't it...!?

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset, highly recommended, amazing value for only about $500 - makes them cheaper than Mavic Equipes, slightly lighter and far more aero. I honestly believe that 90% of the people that have left negative reviews for this wheel are too heavy to be riding a lightweight wheelset.

Favorite Ride:   BMC team machine SLR01

Purchased At:   cyclingexpress.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium SL, Reynolds Shadow, Fulcrum Racing 1, Easton EA70SL

Bike Setup:   Azzurri Mezzo with Di2 and Reynolds Solitudes for training, reynolds MV32 ultralite tubulars for racing.

Reynolds Solitude vs. Ultegra 6700

I plan to purchase a new bike. Although I have not made the final bike selection yet, the front-runner offers 2 different wheelsets at the same price. I can get either the Reynolds Solitude wheelset or the Shimano 6700 wheelset. Which is the one to go with? Some facts about me: Large frame, ar ... Read More »

Experience with Reynolds Solitude wheelset?

I need to pick up a set of light all around alloy clincher wheels, and I notice CC has the Reynolds Solitude wheelset marked down to $345. Anyone give me feedback on the wheelset in general, stiffness, hubs? An alternative would be the Shimano RS80, but they're a lot more clams.Read More »

Bontrager SSR vs. Renyolds Solitude Wheelsets

I am looking to upgrade the wheel set on my 2012 Trek Madone 4.5 from the stock Bontrager SSR wheels to something better. The problem is that I cannot find any specs on the factory wheel set to compare them to other wheels. I am looking to stay in the $400-600 range (per set) for that is where m ... Read More »

$225 Reynolds Solitude clinchers worth the cost?

Looking at an all-around clincher for training and early spring racing. The Reynolds Solitude can be had for $225 but in your opinions are they not worth spending the money? My trainer is a 2050 gram stiff set I use for gravel roads and rough rural pavement. Rims are Alex Pro 28 with Ultegra hu ... Read More »

Reynolds Solitude vs Mavic Ksyrium Elite

I am upgrading my basic wheelset from the Shimano RS10. Considering two options the Reynolds Solitude and the Mavic Ksyrium Elite. Going with the Elite because the extra money for 100 grams does not pay. Anyone have any thoughts or other options? Reynolds Solitude - Performance bike has a special ... Read More »