ROL Wheels D`Huez wheelsets - clincher

4.86/5 (49 Reviews)

• Store Price

The D'Huez is a result of our best thinking: at the wheel-building bench, the computer design screen and on long late winter rides. From the hubs' internal parts out to the rim's farthest point, we put everything we had into this wheel, among our most popular new designs.

The D'Huez is named for the legendary Alpine climb that's featured in so many Tour de France battles. Our lively 1,430 gram hoops live up to the history and will climb alongside wheels costing many times more.

• 24mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Submitted by optonj a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff, smooth. Good value, great customer service.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this wheel set to replace the Dura Ace 7850 CL 24. A very nice wheel set. I also have a custom build with White Industry Hubs and HED C2 rims which I also like. I wanted a wheel set that gave me the best of both worlds. Light weight for spinning up fast and climbing, but with a 23 mm rim and hand built. I had read all the reviews of the D 'huez wheel set, plus I own a set of Volants so I knew it would be high quality. I left a message with Rol to see if they could answer some questions. 20 min later Sean called me back and we talked for 15-20 minutes. I was impressed. The wheel set arrived a week later.

The wheels were perfectly true out of the box. They came with a 1.85 mm spacer because I requested 11-speed compatible. I mounted some Continental GP 4000s tires. I have now done a few rides and all I can say is that I am very impressed. I knew they would be good, but so far the quality has exceeded my expectations. These wheels match my riding abilities and the terrain I ride: I am a climber and most of my rides have rolling hills. They get up to speed fast and hold speed. My previous wheels were not flexy but I just feel that this wheel set is that much more stiff- perhaps it is the wider rims. I can really feel it out of the saddle when I climb or when I hunker down and try to blast it out on the flats. The wider rims also offer a more dampened ride on chip top . I am 160 lbs and run 90 in the front and 95 in the back, about 10 psi less than the Dura Ace wheel set. I can't speak too much about their durability but if I would expect them to last since I am going on 3 years with my Volants without any issues.

Purchased At:   Rol Website

Similar Products Used:   Rol Volant R/T, Dura Ace 7850 CL 24, HED C2/WI T11 custom

Bike Setup:   Look 595, Dura Ace 7900

Submitted by cspike

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, not too flashy, low maintenance.

Weaknesses:    My set has the red, dura ace 10 spd specific hub body. Other than that, none that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
I purchased my d'huez wheelset in October of 2007, and they have been my daily wheels ever since I received them. I'm 6'0" and 160-170 lbs depending on my fitness level and time allowed to exercise. After six years of hard riding, I took a closer look at them today, while getting ready to change a tire, and found a crack at one of the nipples on the drive side of the rear wheel. I have never had any issues with the wheelset; never needed truing, just regular hub cleaning and lube. They have been great wheels, and I have enjoyed riding on them, but I am very bummed that the rear wheel is now cracked. I would recommend them, but be cautious of their durability and inspect them.

Submitted by Paul Tractenberg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2013

Strengths:    Really light and stiff; they just keep rolling. I find myself using cogs that are two or even three smaller than I used to with my Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels that finally gave up the fight after about five years. I like the look of the Rol wheels and even like the rear hub noise that some people find bothersome when coasting downhill. I've only just started riding with the Rol wheels so I can't speak to their durability, but from other satisfied reviewers I anticipate they will hold up very well. But right out of the gate the ride quality is terrific. Since my local bicycle shop suggested Zipp 202 as a replacement wheelset at a price tag of about $2,700 and the Rol D-Huez wheelset goes for $725 now, my on-line research has really paid off. In fact, when my bicycle shop mechanic put the new wheels on, he was very impressed with their quality and amazed by their lightness.

Weaknesses:    None thus far

Bottom Line:
At least for serious, but not racing, road riders like me, the Rol D-Huez wheelset seems like a wonderful deal and an absolute pleasure to ride. Moreover, as advertised, Sean and Paul are readily accessible and extremely helpful. It's great dealing with a successful, high-quality and responsive American smallish business.

Favorite Ride:   North Fork, Shelter Island, South Fork LI, NY circuit

Purchased At:   Rol Wheels website

Bike Setup:   I have a Cannondale System Six bicycle with Shimano Dura-Ace components and the Rol D'Huez wheels hold up their end of the bargain.

Submitted by SeattleRider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    Great wheel for price. Smooth rolling and fast.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the new D'Huez 24/28. The new 2013 D'Huez 24/28 represents another option for heavier riders. One place on the ROL site says it’s rated to 220# and another place it says 225#. I went with D’Huez 24/28 over the SLR because I wanted my new wheels to weigh less than my current set that came with the bike (1550g) and the SLRs are heavier (1595) but the D’Huez 24/28 are lighter (1475). Only a slight difference I know but I couldn’t rationalize a heavier wheelset.

I’ve ridden the D'Huez 24/28 for a few hundred miles and I now realize there is more to a wheelset than just weight. This is only my 6th season cycling and my first wheel upgrade. I expected some performance jump, but I’m am thoroughly blown away by not only how much my riding improved with the same amount of effort being put in but also how much smoother the actual ride is. I attribute the smoothness to the wheels and also going from a 23mm tire to a 25mm. With these 2013 ROL wider rims I thought a wider tire made more sense and plus I’ve read that the pro peloton is going 25mm. But back to the performance….on familiar climbs that I’ve ridden for years, I am easily climbing in one or two gears higher that before. On flats I’m going at 2-3 mph faster. When I back off the pace and pedal a bit easier I am going at the same speed I would go on my old wheels. Why is this? The difference in weight is only 75 grams bw old and new wheelsets. I can only attribute this to superior hubs, the bladed spokes and wider tires (wider is faster from what I’ve been reading). These just ride so smooth, especially on the flats and when I hit one of the many hills in Seattle, these wheels are quick to respond and don’t flex under my weight (220#). Thanks Sean for making a wheel that is not only light and comfortable but stiff! For the heavy weight recreational rider who wants a jump in performance at a reasonable price, these 24/28s are highly recommended.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   2010 Roubaix Expert

Submitted by Kiddiecar a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, smooth riding, low profile, easy to change tires, good customer support.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I just bought 2 wheel sets for new travel bikes for myself and wife. These wheels had great reviews, are light weight, and ride very smooth. I also got the newer version with wider rims. They are designed for lighter weight riders (I weigh 160 lbs and my wife 120 lbs) so it doesn't make sense to get a wheel designed for a 200 lb person. My former wheels were too stiff for me, and these are quick, responsive, and ride much smoother.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Evans, Colorado