ROL Wheels Race SL wheelsets - clincher

4.95/5 (79 Reviews)

Our best-selling Race SL is a favorite with racers looking for precise handling, ride quality and speed. It's perfect for road racing, criteriums and triathlon. It's already one of the best-reviewed wheels on the market and for 2013 we made it even better.

We've improved the Race SL with a new rim profile that is wider and stiffer. At 23mm wide, our new rim design improves tire performance by shortening the tire sidewalls and producing a wider contact patch. It adds up to more confidence in the turns, along with more comfort and improved aerodynamics. The 28mm tall profile provides the stiffness aggressive riders appreciate, as well as an aerodynamic advantage.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Submitted by Myles Lambert a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2016

Strengths:    Customer service, performance, value, design

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I built a Colnago C59 over the winter. Probably researched wheels more than any other component. I contacted Sean and provided information about me, intentions for the bike, etc and he recommended the Race SL. This C59 will get the bulk of the miles so wanted reliability and performance. 6-1 and 195 so have had more than a few broken spokes over the years. I've only racked up 1000 miles but so far flawless. I did a metric a couple weeks ago and some of the roads were awful. Wheels have been exactly as I expected and as I needed. I've met a couple other cyclists with the same experience. Interesting how they commented on the wheels and not the bike! Don't hesitate, these wheels are a great value and won't disappoint.

Similar Products Used:   Magic Ksyrium Elite (older ones have been very good), hand built 32 hole 3 cross

Bike Setup:   Performance

Submitted by E. McKinnon a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2016

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Bullet Proof, Customer service, Free-spin capacity, day-to-day reliability

Bottom Line:
My original set of SLs just went over 25k miles. Yes, 25 K miles. Had them refreshed a few years back. Not because anything was wrong with them, but, rather because, Sean said he just would. In those 25K miles they have seen four different frame sets, various terrains, and all kinds of road surfaces. Not one broken spoke, not one failed hub, and barely an untrue mile. Almost as fast as the day I first used them. I gave them a close inspection the other day, and no cracked nipples or any real wheel stress marks. These have just been a solid performer and for the cost, well, nothing compares.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Emonda SLR
Cannondale Super SIx

Submitted by bkirkwd

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2016

Strengths:    Weight, width, aero performance

Bottom Line:
This is my 2nd set of Race SLs. I purchased my first about 4 years ago, the original model. They were rock solid, never had to true, smooth as could be. I bought the new model a few months ago and it is a worthy improvement!. The rim is about 3.5mm wider than the original at 23mm. I run Conti 4000S 23mm tires. On these wheels, the tires measure 26mm wide. The resulting ride is very smooth even on the rough chip and seal roads I ride! I see no reason to use 25mm tires on these. the new rim profile also wider on the spoke side of the rim. Many manufactures are doing this as they have found that it is more aerodyamic. I am 64 years old and occasionally go on group rides with a bunch that are about 15 years younger with me on average. I sometimes am dropped and, if not, i struggle to hold on. I rode the new Race SLs yesterday and I not only kept up but took my turn at pulls at 24mph in the pace line! I am a happy camper!

Submitted by Prescott Balch

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2015

Strengths:    Great price/performance ratio.
Light.
Fast.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
I got lucky with weather conditions for my inaugural ride with the new wheels. Equally windy (15mph) and same temp (60F) as last weekend's ride on the old wheels. Only difference was wind direction, but since I was riding a loop, that shouldn't affect the comparison much.

Wheels replaced: stock Mavic wheels on a 2001 Bianchi Giro

Results: felt so light and easy that I went 12 miles (30%) further at 2.8mph (17%) faster.

The Race SL wheels are fast, light, and fantastic.

Submitted by Mitch Turbo a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2015

Strengths:    The value for the money is unparalleled. The wheels are durable, appropriately aero as an all-rounder, beautifully true out of the box AND after more than 10,000 tough miles, including harsh New Hampshire winter riding.

Weaknesses:    As others have said, the soft aluminum free hub body is susceptible to gouging from the cassette. This is not truly a weakness of this wheelset, however, as all aluminum free hub bodies suffer from this same issue. This is a small penalty for a significant weight savings.

Bottom Line:
I initially purchased the Race SL's in April of 2012. Now, almost three years and over 10,000 miles later, the wheels ride like they are brand new. I did have a minor problem with a cassette-damaged free hub body, which was replaced (as stated, the customer service, coupled with the quality of the wheels will have you coming back to ROL as a loyal, repeat customer). This set of wheels is incomparable at the price. I have friends who baby their $2,000+ wheels and fret constantly over road conditions. When they've seen how the Race SL's perform (and, equally as important, how they feel on the road....light, stiff, responsive) they are sorry that they blew a boatload of money on wheels that they are afraid to ride! The Race SL's will take anything that you can throw at them and beg for more. I cannot believe the quality of these wheels for the money. I'll be purchasing a new bike his spring and --- for giggles --- I've looked at every wheel brand imaginable....from boutique carbon clinchers to ultra-lightweight alloy wheel sets. The wheels that were most intriguing cost between $1,300 and $1,900, but they all lacked one feature or another. One set had a nice carbon rim but a questionable hub design. Another carbon clincher had an aluminum braking surface, but weighed 1,800 grams. Yet another looked like the cat's meow, but had LOUSY reviews from both magazines and customers. With all of that reading (I've been at it for months, researching upgrades for my upcoming bike purchase), I could have saved myself a boatload of time. When all is said and done, no one --- and I mean no one --- has been able to show me a better wheel than my Race SL's. Yup, I'm going to buy another pair (this set will be the new, wider design) for my new ride!

If you are worried about buying a set of Race SL's sight unseen, have no fear. You will be blown away by the quality of the wheels. And, equally as importantly, you will be blown away by the (truly unbelievable) customer service.

Purchased At:   ROL Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Wheelsets that I've owned include Mavic Aksium, Bontrager Race Lite, Shimano Ultegra, Bontrager TLR

Bike Setup:   Lemond Maillot Jaune, Lemond Zurich, Felt FA.....on the way....Trek Domane