ROL Wheels Race SL wheelsets - clincher

4.95/5 (82 Reviews)

Our best-selling Race SL is a favorite with racers looking for precise handling, ride quality and speed. It's perfect for road racing, criteriums and triathlon. It's already one of the best-reviewed wheels on the market and for 2013 we made it even better.

We've improved the Race SL with a new rim profile that is wider and stiffer. At 23mm wide, our new rim design improves tire performance by shortening the tire sidewalls and producing a wider contact patch. It adds up to more confidence in the turns, along with more comfort and improved aerodynamics. The 28mm tall profile provides the stiffness aggressive riders appreciate, as well as an aerodynamic advantage.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Submitted by Jake

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2017

Strengths:    Stability and hubs

Bottom Line:
You really can feel a difference in handbuilt wheels. After riding Fulcrum's for years I made the switch and dont think i'll ever go back. Absolutely wonderful company to work with - and by that i mean i received a phone call form the owner to discuss hub and spoke options for my riding style and conditions.
These wheels roll easy, corner great, brake consistently and effectively in wet and dry conditions, and the the rear hub feels great when freewheeling. After putting about 1000mi on these things in a month I could not recommend them any higher.

Submitted by Christopher Brown a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2017

Strengths:    These wheels never let me down over the past 10,172 miles and 1 1/2 years of hard riding. Living in Pennsylvania, where the roads aren't perfect, I knew I needed a durable set of wheels for training and racing year round. The Race SL has surpassed my expectations in all areas. Going from the stock Fulcrum Racing S Four wheels that came with my Specialized Tarmac Expert SL4, I immediately noticed the following improvements: a smoother ride, quicker acceleration, and a more solid feel. Smoothness is achieved by the wider than average design of this wheel. I have ridden both 23 and 25mm Continental GP 4000 S II and have found both perform great for training and racing. I currently am running the 25s and love the comfort. I questioned if this wheel would be suitable for racing crits and it definitely gets the job done. I have podiumed on all four cat 3/4 races entered. When coming out of tight corners this wheel accelerates without a problem and stays feeling solid when laying down the power during a field sprint.

Weaknesses:    No weakness found.

Bottom Line:
After putting these wheels through a long term test, I can confidently say they are an exceptional value and I appreciate their superior quality on every ride.

Submitted by Jan Podgorni a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2016

Strengths:    Just pulled the trigger and before I did, I called Sean to talk to him about the wheels (was wondering whether the owner actually answers and he did.). I asked whether the DT hubs would make a huge difference and he told me they are not really worth it as ROL hubs will do a similar job (didn't try to upsell me) and seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to wheels. After mounting Vredestein Comp Race Tires (23 mm) and Ultegra Casette I was finally able to do a 40 mile ride. Wheels are stiff and accelerate very well compared to my stock Oval 327 that always feel slow and sluggish. What really amazed me is that I am getting similar speeds with them as compared to my 60mm 3T Team Accellero Wheels that are certainly aero but using them in wet conditions is a no no. Maintaining 19-21 mph is not that difficult and they roll quite effortlessly. Furthermore unlike the 3Ts (where the rear wheel was not true when new), no matter how hard I looked at the ROLs on a truing stand they are simply perfect. In addition, the angle of each spoke is perfect as well. Simply put it seems that Sean really cares about what product he puts out and while it is way too early to tell about their longevity, I felt confident that if any problems occur in the future, Sean will take care of it (based on my conversation). While I realize that the rims and hubs are made in Asia, they are actually assembled by ROL and myself I rather spend money on US based small businesses than on companies that complete the entire process in Asia. There may be comparable wheels out there at the price point of Race SLs but I don't really care as I am a very happy and satisfied costumer. I also got a free tshirt.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Overall I feel that these wheels will serve me well and will work better in bad weather conditions than my 3Ts. Super solid and worth every penny so far.

Purchased At:   ROL

Similar Products Used:   Oval 327 Wheels (crap)
3T Accelero 60 Team Wheels (Al/Carbon)

Bike Setup:   Kestrel Talon with Ultegra components
Cyclo 505 Computer

Submitted by Myles Lambert a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2016

Strengths:    Customer service, performance, value, design

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I built a Colnago C59 over the winter. Probably researched wheels more than any other component. I contacted Sean and provided information about me, intentions for the bike, etc and he recommended the Race SL. This C59 will get the bulk of the miles so wanted reliability and performance. 6-1 and 195 so have had more than a few broken spokes over the years. I've only racked up 1000 miles but so far flawless. I did a metric a couple weeks ago and some of the roads were awful. Wheels have been exactly as I expected and as I needed. I've met a couple other cyclists with the same experience. Interesting how they commented on the wheels and not the bike! Don't hesitate, these wheels are a great value and won't disappoint.

Similar Products Used:   Magic Ksyrium Elite (older ones have been very good), hand built 32 hole 3 cross

Bike Setup:   Performance

Submitted by E. McKinnon a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2016

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Bullet Proof, Customer service, Free-spin capacity, day-to-day reliability

Bottom Line:
My original set of SLs just went over 25k miles. Yes, 25 K miles. Had them refreshed a few years back. Not because anything was wrong with them, but, rather because, Sean said he just would. In those 25K miles they have seen four different frame sets, various terrains, and all kinds of road surfaces. Not one broken spoke, not one failed hub, and barely an untrue mile. Almost as fast as the day I first used them. I gave them a close inspection the other day, and no cracked nipples or any real wheel stress marks. These have just been a solid performer and for the cost, well, nothing compares.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere