ROL Wheels Race SLR wheelsets - clincher

4.88/5 (25 Reviews)

The Race SLR is the big brother to the SL, with the same proprietary hub and rim design but with four more Sapim CX Ray spokes per wheel for more aggressive or larger riders or more abusive terrain.

The Race SLR features the same rim as the SL, with its tire-boosting 23mm width and 28mm height for aerodynamics and stiffness.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Submitted by Tim Acevedo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2013

Strengths:    Price, stiffness, low rolling resistance, bullet proof, high quality construction, resistance to snake biting the tubes when hitting pud-holes

Weaknesses:    None, so far.

Bottom Line:
I bought this wheels, they are 2013, based on the reviews. I took a chance, since no one I know has them. I have no regrets.
This wheels don't transfer any energy to the road, the take the abuse of poorly paved roads. I have hit a couple of pud-holes and these wheels stayed true, not even a sign of the impact.
When cruising I can feel how little acceleration they loose, must be the aerodynamics of the spokes.Which they are nice, small profile, stiff blades.
I am a recreational rider. I do group rides, 3 times a week, 20-23 mph. Weekends is a 47 mile ride, 23-25 mph. and centuries as much as possible.

Favorite Ride:   Tucker A ride

Purchased At:   ROL

Similar Products Used:   Reynolds, Spinergy,

Bike Setup:   2013, Pinarello Dogma. 2013, Campi S. Record 11s, everything. Carbon Most seat post and Most integrated stem handle bar. Ultegra pedals. A race ready darling.

Submitted by Scott b. a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2013

Strengths:    Light, fast, strong wheels

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
I had to write about these wheel. I shopped and looked and researched reviews. I almost got Easton, Mavic, HED, etc. , but finally settled on these wheel. The decision was based on the reviews, the specs, and price. I love the, and with 500+ miles - I have no troubles and can't get over the improvement in my rides. I think any upper end wheel set will improve ypur time and enjoyment, but these are a great for the price and performance!! Get them and you won't regret it. I am 6' 215# on carbon bike. .

Favorite Ride:   Look 595

Purchased At:   Rol website

Similar Products Used:   Own; Dura ace, easton 90slx, shimano wheels too

Bike Setup:   Look, SRAM Red

Submitted by jonathan

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2013

Strengths:    LIGHT, Strong and Super Fast

Weaknesses:    Graphics are Stickers

Bottom Line:
Wow what a wheel- I am a mid level rider 220 lbs. I won't say which wheelset I dumped (big name brand) I increased my mph by 2 per hour just by changing to the SLR wheel set. I am able to sustain speed longer and going uphill is not as dreadful as it used to be. I have hit just about every bump and pothole in the area where I ride and these wheels are as true as the day I purchased them. Thanks Rol for a great product!
2012 Trek Madone 3.1 - RACE SLR Rol Wheelset - Continental 4000s Tires - 100 Miles Per Week - Mesa Arizona

Submitted by Chris H

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    Strong wheel that stays TRUE

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I am a heavy rider at 200 lbs and like to put the power down. I have had them 11 months and put 2271 miles on them with absolutely NO PROBLEMS. I have had my bike in the shop for tune up 1 time and they did not have to do anything to the wheels. The other two riders i know with ROL SL or SLR wheels LOVE them. I highly recommend these wheels to anyone wanting to update.

2010 Giant TCR Advanced 3

Submitted by Paul Ainsworth a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2012

Strengths:    Quite light for a stiff, tough wheel. I like the wide rim. The Sapim CX-ray spokes are awesome, particularly at this price range. Great customer service from Sean and his team.

Weaknesses:    Nothing as yet.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are on my 2013 Roubaix SL-4 Expert. The stock wheels came off right away, and I was running some wheels I had built for myself with DT Swiss hubs and spokes, and Velocity A23 rims. Those wheels are stiff, comfy, durable, and I like the profile of the tire as it is supported by the wide rim. I was looking for a wheelset that would perform similarly, but maybe weigh a bit less and, I admit, look a little cooler. I spoke with Sean at Rol and he told me about some new rims he had coming out for his Race and Race SLR wheels that sported the wider rim profile I like. They built me a set of "pre-production" SLRs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes (24/28), and I had them in hand a few days later.
So far, the wheels have met or exceeded every expectation I had for them. They are as stiff as my 28/32 spoke A23 set, about 160g lighter (about 1540g for the set with 2 layers of Stan's tape installed), and have held up well to my 240 pounds. They climb better than I ever will and I have yet to feel any flex when cornering or when standing on the pedals. (On this front, in particular, they far outshine the Zipp 101's I rode last year.)
The cosmetics of the wheels are solid. The new decals are rather a bit more minimalist than in prior years, with a hint of reflectivity to them, which is nice as the days get short.
All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with these wheels. They are excellent wheels, and an excellent value.

Favorite Ride:   Hurricane Ridge