ROL Wheels Race SLR wheelsets - clincher

4.9/5 (29 Reviews)

The Race SLR is the big brother to the SL, with the same proprietary hub and rim design but with four more Sapim CX Ray spokes per wheel for more aggressive or larger riders or more abusive terrain.

The Race SLR features the same rim as the SL, with its tire-boosting 23mm width and 28mm height for aerodynamics and stiffness.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Submitted by Matt H

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2016

Strengths:    Great performance for riders who want well-built fast, light wheels.
Top class customer service.

Bottom Line:
Summary: These wheels are great.

Rider: I am a 105kg, 6'5' rider who would be more at home on a rugby pitch. I compete in Sportive's and multi-stage amateur races.

Experience: I perviously owned a pair of Mavic Cosmic's, they broke within a year. I then moved to a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Eltie's the spokes broke within 18months.
I bought a set of the Rol SLR and they have been fabulous both on the flats and also climbing. Obviously with the 105kg frame I can descend pretty fast and these wheels take the corners with ease. They are light and also look sleek.

Definitely well worth buying a set.

Submitted by Lane Miller a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2016

Strengths:    Solid, dependable wheelset. Great for climbing and descending.

Bottom Line:
I have had this wheelset a little over 3 years. After breaking spokes several times on the stock wheels that came with my Cannondale CAAD 9, I began looking to upgrade. I researched the options and decided the ROL Race SLR was the best choice. I was immediately impressed by the stiffness and the improved handling on rough roads. I ride in the Sierra's in central California and have found this to be an excellent climbing and descending wheel set. Very sure footed, handles excellent, carves corners with confidence. This is a great wheelset for the 200+ lb rider who likes to ride mountain classic rides like Climb to Kaiser or The Death Ride (both rides >15,000 ft of climb)

ROL wheels rock!. Don't just read the reviews, buy a set and you will be immediately impressed with their quality and improved ride experience. Lightweight, rock solid, great value.

Submitted by Michael Welvaert

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2016

Strengths:    Light weigh, Great for heavier "Clydesdale" cyclists, value and the customer service is unparalleled.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are amazing. I am a "Clydesdale" cyclist and beginner triathlete. I have a new 2016 Cannondale Supersix 105 Evo. I put these wheels on the bike and the speed and performance were a big difference. I purchased a new tri-bike and I am outfitting that bike with the same wheels. They look great, feel great and my performance has increased. Besides all of that, the customer service is amazing. I had a lot of questions and comparisons with wheels. They answered everyone right away. Always pleasant on the phone and accommodating. I would recommend ROL Wheels to everyone. When I get more competitive, I will definitely stay with ROL.

Submitted by Josh Staudinger a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2016

Strengths:    Price
Durability/Bulletproof
Craftsmanship
Customer service

Bottom Line:
At 210 lbs I'm a bit heavier than most cyclists. I have a 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL-4 expert. The OEM wheels were junk...when I cranked hard on them they would flex so bad that the brakes would rub. I went through 2 sets of Mavic Ksyrium wheels. 1 was the SR with big aluminum spokes and the other was the Elite S with stainless spokes. Well, I broke the aluminum SR's on 2 separate occasions. The stainless spokes of the Elites didn't break but were always out of true and when I leaned on the front wheel to sprint or climb I could hear the hub rattle with the spokes moving around/flexing. I searched the web for "wheels for Clydesdales". Every search I did and every forum I read through recommended Rol wheels. My lovely wife bought me a set of Race SL-R's for Christmas 2015. I've put about 500 miles on them so far and I love them! They look sharp, have a decent aerodynamic shape, and they are beyond solid! I've held back on my previous wheels because I would either get brake rub, break a spoke, or bend the wheel. I've put all I've got into these wheels and I am rewarded with pure acceleration! I am also proud to own a set of wheels that do all of the above and are made in the USA. I would recommend these wheels to anyone who wants a light weight wheel that's bulletproof and attractive. Good job Rol!

Favorite Ride:   Tarmac SL4

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium SR
Mavic Ksyrium Elite S

Submitted by Tim Acevedo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2013

Strengths:    Price, stiffness, low rolling resistance, bullet proof, high quality construction, resistance to snake biting the tubes when hitting pud-holes

Weaknesses:    None, so far.

Bottom Line:
I bought this wheels, they are 2013, based on the reviews. I took a chance, since no one I know has them. I have no regrets.
This wheels don't transfer any energy to the road, the take the abuse of poorly paved roads. I have hit a couple of pud-holes and these wheels stayed true, not even a sign of the impact.
When cruising I can feel how little acceleration they loose, must be the aerodynamics of the spokes.Which they are nice, small profile, stiff blades.
I am a recreational rider. I do group rides, 3 times a week, 20-23 mph. Weekends is a 47 mile ride, 23-25 mph. and centuries as much as possible.

Favorite Ride:   Tucker A ride