ROL Wheels Volant R/T wheelsets - clincher

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

The Volant's big brother, the R/T is for aggressive riders and those who prefer a stiffer ride from their wheels. The Volant R/T is a performance wheel for pounding out training miles, slamming industrial park criterium corners or finessing bumpy cyclocross courses.

Compared to the Volant, we bumped up the spoke count by four on each wheel — a small price to pay for increased stiffness and durability, and the set still comes in just a hair over 1,700 grams.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Submitted by Craig in Australia

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2016

Strengths:    VOLANT R/T ALLOY CLINCHER i'm a 105kg 190cm rider that wanted a bulletproof wheelset. Weight wasn't a big factor for me but these are very acceptable at 1700 grams approx. I live a long way away from ROL but my questions, their service and shipping options in my experience were flawless. My wheels arrived and look great, beautiful machined brake surface, deep rim and well taped linings. I quickly put some 25mm Durano's on them and went for a ride. Bearings rolled well, the wheels handled well and am one happy camper. I've now done about 500km on them and there are no issues. I will update this in a few thousand kms and hope they show the same performance. I agree with one writer here that compared to Mavic the skewers are a lot lighter and need careful tightening but so far haven't been a big issue. Go buy a set I think you'll be surprised at their quality.

Weaknesses:    The skewers could be higher quality ... but this is being picky.

Bottom Line:
Great service particularly for an international buyer. Can't fault the entire buying, shipping, packaging or wheel performance experience. Thx guys.

Submitted by Chris a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2016

Strengths:    strong, stiff, responsive, smooth

Bottom Line:
I threw these onto a specialized allez after having stock Mavic xp 22 wheels and I was amazed. They feel strong, smooth, stiff and they almost seem to carry your momentum further. The 'clicking' ,when pedaling is idle, sounds of a quality wheel set as well. I've read that their performance is as good as wheel sets costing much more and I believe it. They made my bike way more fun - took them for a 70 mile ride the next day after I got them and loved these every minute.

I'm 195 lbs and thought about getting the volants but decided 4 extra spokes could only mean good things, especially if I get fatter over the next few years. Hopefully not, but all I'm saying is lighter people should not be afraid of going to the r/t over the base volant, but I haven't even used the base volants. Damnit.

Whatever, I like ROL Wheels. They're pretty sick. I like that they hand make sick wheels for little money and show all these other turds who's boss in the world of wheels. It's a nice niche they have carved out and you can tell they care about quality. It's like buying organic with the best coupons you've ever seen, instead of blowing your wallet at McDonalds (no, nobody does that, but it could happen. Dummy. Just go with it) and feeling like a dumpster. If ROL were a person, they would be your best friend. 5 star boyee

Submitted by Marty C a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2015

Strengths:    Stiffness and designed for the heavier riders!! Price was reasonable compared to other name brands.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels based upon them being designed for the Clydesdale riders. I went to other sites to look at other brands, but finally decided on these based on the previous reviews. I haven't been disappointed yet. I bought my first set for my Fuji and bought a second set for my CIOCC due to the groupsets being different for each bike one being Shimano and the other being Campagnolo. When I first got them I noticed a big change in the way the bike rode so I had to buy the second set for my new bike and I have not been let down yet. Just a smooth ride!!

Purchased At:   ROL

Submitted by mgmoehn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    Strong, Bombproof, and aggressive wheels. Huge improvement over the Giant wheels that came on my bike (even the upgraded Giant wheels with DT swiss hubs). Spin up fast, corner hard, and make for a nice ride

Weaknesses:    After almost an entire road season and then threw them on my cross bike build up for gravel grinders, muddy jingle cross race, and some snowy roads... they were great. Rear hub bearings finally got a little worn after cross bike riding but that is to be expected with dirt, mud, road grime etc.

Bottom Line:
After about a year the front wheel was true and the rear needed just a fine adjustment. These are everything you ask your training wheels to be and more. I weigh in around 185lbs and I am a bigger powerful rider which is why I spring for the R/Ts. Super awesome wheels I would not be afraid to race on at all especially in a crit when you are slamming corners and sprinting out of them. The quality is there and the customer service is TOP NOTCH! The guys down at Rol are very helpful and can get you what you need, you wont feel disappointed in your purchase.

Sine these are 23mm wide rims and I ride on 25mm tires I can run about 90-95 psi most always and it is a nice ride.

Submitted by kdoug a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Non-Proprietary components, Great Customer Service!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have a Trek 4.5 Domane that I've logged close to 3,000 miles on this year. The Bontrager wheels have been relatively trouble free but I've never felt they spun up or rolled very well. Since I've replaced or upgraded most everything else except the frame, the wheels and tires were the last to go. I weigh in at 230lbs so low spoke count isn't an option.
After reading many reviews here and elsewhere about ROL wheels I purchased the R/T's and mounted Continental 4000s tires. Wow, what a huge difference both made. The bike rides and handles better than I ever imagined, I couldn't be happier.
I might also add, when I was unboxing the wheels, I noticed one of the stickers had been damaged from packing. I contacted Sean and he sent me 5 extra stickers and a pair of ROL wool socks USPS Priority mail the same day!
Customer service is everything and they went above and beyond!