ROL Wheels Volant R/T wheelsets - clincher

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)

The Volant's big brother, the R/T is for aggressive riders and those who prefer a stiffer ride from their wheels. The Volant R/T is a performance wheel for pounding out training miles, slamming industrial park criterium corners or finessing bumpy cyclocross courses.

Compared to the Volant, we bumped up the spoke count by four on each wheel — a small price to pay for increased stiffness and durability, and the set still comes in just a hair over 1,700 grams.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Submitted by Marty C a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2015

Strengths:    Stiffness and designed for the heavier riders!! Price was reasonable compared to other name brands.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels based upon them being designed for the Clydesdale riders. I went to other sites to look at other brands, but finally decided on these based on the previous reviews. I haven't been disappointed yet. I bought my first set for my Fuji and bought a second set for my CIOCC due to the groupsets being different for each bike one being Shimano and the other being Campagnolo. When I first got them I noticed a big change in the way the bike rode so I had to buy the second set for my new bike and I have not been let down yet. Just a smooth ride!!

Purchased At:   ROL

Submitted by mgmoehn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    Strong, Bombproof, and aggressive wheels. Huge improvement over the Giant wheels that came on my bike (even the upgraded Giant wheels with DT swiss hubs). Spin up fast, corner hard, and make for a nice ride

Weaknesses:    After almost an entire road season and then threw them on my cross bike build up for gravel grinders, muddy jingle cross race, and some snowy roads... they were great. Rear hub bearings finally got a little worn after cross bike riding but that is to be expected with dirt, mud, road grime etc.

Bottom Line:
After about a year the front wheel was true and the rear needed just a fine adjustment. These are everything you ask your training wheels to be and more. I weigh in around 185lbs and I am a bigger powerful rider which is why I spring for the R/Ts. Super awesome wheels I would not be afraid to race on at all especially in a crit when you are slamming corners and sprinting out of them. The quality is there and the customer service is TOP NOTCH! The guys down at Rol are very helpful and can get you what you need, you wont feel disappointed in your purchase.

Sine these are 23mm wide rims and I ride on 25mm tires I can run about 90-95 psi most always and it is a nice ride.

Submitted by kdoug a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Non-Proprietary components, Great Customer Service!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have a Trek 4.5 Domane that I've logged close to 3,000 miles on this year. The Bontrager wheels have been relatively trouble free but I've never felt they spun up or rolled very well. Since I've replaced or upgraded most everything else except the frame, the wheels and tires were the last to go. I weigh in at 230lbs so low spoke count isn't an option.
After reading many reviews here and elsewhere about ROL wheels I purchased the R/T's and mounted Continental 4000s tires. Wow, what a huge difference both made. The bike rides and handles better than I ever imagined, I couldn't be happier.
I might also add, when I was unboxing the wheels, I noticed one of the stickers had been damaged from packing. I contacted Sean and he sent me 5 extra stickers and a pair of ROL wool socks USPS Priority mail the same day!
Customer service is everything and they went above and beyond!

Submitted by Tom P. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Sturdy, Stiff, Great wheel weight for a big guy. Great looking decals.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an upgrade to some basic Shimano wheels. After reading reviews for the Volant I called to order a set and in talking to the people a ROL they told me about the new RT that was designed for bigger guys (it wasn't even on the website yet). I'm a lifter and come in at 6' 215lbs. I promptly ordered a set and they arrived 4 days later. After running them 2 1/2 seasons and almost 5000 miles on my Gunnar Roadie they are still going strong! These things are bullet proof! The only incident I have had is when I accidently caught my right heel in the rear spokes. After a quick trip to the LBS the wheel ran true as new. I would not hesitate in buying another set. The only thing I would recommend to prospective owners it to keep an eye in the rear spokes. I check mine every 200 miles or so and there are always two or three that need tightening. I consider this regular maintenance for a wheel with such a high spoke count and a guy over 200 pounds.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Roadie with carbon fork, Ultegra components, Thomson Post, Cheap but comfortable saddle, Easton Bars.

Submitted by optonj a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Strengths:    Great value for the money.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Very pleased. I wanted a second wheelset for the winter and long rides over chip top. Not as light as my Dura Ace 7850s but not a lot of drop off. Spin up nicely and are very stiff. I run 25mm Continental A/S with these at about 95 psi and the ride is very comfortable. I weigh 160 pounds and could have gone with the Volants but the I like the idea of the extra spoke count of the Volant R/T- adds to the durability. At 1650 grams not the lightest but still lighter than stock wheels with a much better hub.

Purchased At:   On Line