ROL Wheels Volant wheelsets - clincher

4.84/5 (68 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Volant is a modern classic: hardworking, lively and reliable. It's a wheel for putting in long training rides on questionable roads that's still quick enough for a spirited group lunch ride or a weekend race. The Volant was our first wheel model and this year we upgraded it with a wider rim for better handling, DT's double-butted stainless steel Competition spokes and our own carefully designed hubs.

The Volant is a popular upgrade wheel — at well under 1,700 grams, it's likely significantly svelter than the wheels that came on your bike, while offering reliable U.S. wheel building and a wide profile rim for better handling.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Submitted by Bob Tank a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2013

Strengths:    Stay true, stiff, and light for the price.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden a pair of ROL Volants for 1423 miles and they are as true and as round as they were on day one. Excellent value.

Favorite Ride:   Silverthorne to Vail and back

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Sestriere

Bike Setup:   OCLV, full Dura Ace, ROL Volants

Submitted by KevinT a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    Light enough for non racer types. ( Or casual racers)About a pound lighter than the stock wheels on my Madone 3.1. Roll smooth and fast. Can maintain more speed going into hills and coming off. Legs feel fresher. I'm 200 pounds and after several rides they are as true as when they came out of the box. Great value for the money! Got a second set for my wife's Madone. Two wheel sets cost about the same as one set of some others and you are not giving anything up in terms of quality.

Bottom Line:
If you want a great upgrade whee set that won't break the bank these are a great choise. Strong, light, and fast. Great customer service with straight answers from Sean at Rol! Not often the owner calls you back to answer your questions!

Purchased At:   Rol wheels

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Madone 3.1

Submitted by Norm

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2012

Strengths:    I'm a Pacaderm 240+ and love these wheels. Spin up nice no side flex.

Bottom Line:
Replaced Bontrager wheels that came with my 2012 ion pro. The front was damage in a high speed decent hit a big rock and the rear was hit by sprinter van. Liked the Bontragers but love these. I Need to contact Rol and had very good response.

Norm

Submitted by Richard Knight

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    I've had a set of the Volant wheels for well over a year now and have absolutely no problem with them. They are strong, light and free-wheel very well. They also look rather sharp.

Weaknesses:    I can't think of a weakness with these wheels, other than there not being a local representative in Australia.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are great value and are sent quickly and inexpensively, which is good for those if us who live outside the USA. You won't regret buying a set.

Submitted by Trevor Rasmussen a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, bullet proof and pretty light for the performance that you get.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I have two sets of these wheels, one for each of two bikes, and they are bullet proof! I am 6'3" and around 240 lbs and ride 3500+ mile a year. These wheels run true and fast. I T-boned a 1994 Honda Accord last fall and, of course, the wheel tacoed; though, the legendary Sean at Rol hooked me up with a great deal on a replacement. I you are a Clyde, these are the best wheels you can ride.

Favorite Ride:   Morgan Loop, Utah

Purchased At:   Rol Wheels website

Similar Products Used:   Xero and Mavic

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant OCR Carbon, Ultegra groupo, Rol Volant wheels, FSA K-Force light Ti crankset, Koobie saddle.

Rol Volant 2013 wheelset review

Just did my third ride on the Volants. They have been a big improvement over the stock wheels on my madone3.1. Noticeably faster and about one pound lighter than the stock wheels. True as could be out of the box. I'm not a racer. Just like to ride as fast as my fitness and 58 years allow! Legs feel ... Read More »

Boyd rouleur vs ROL volant

I've been doing a lot of research for a while now and have come down to these two wheels as upgrade potentials for my new Roubaix. My riding style is as follows: horrible climber (any weight advantage I can get Ill take), bigger rider (175), loves to sprint and haul on the downhills, no racing just ... Read More »

Anyone experienced the new 2013 Rol wheels?? The Volant or SL?

Hi..looking for some input or experiences on the new 2013 Rol Volants or SL? How are the Hubs? I believe the new rims are the wider Kinlins. ThanksRead More »

2013 Bontrager Race Lite vs ROL Volant

Hi guys, I've got some new 2013 Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless Ready wheels with R3 tyres. They weigh in at 1500g (obviously without tyres and tubes). I also have a new pair of ROL Volants - tried and tested as solid - weigh in at 1650g. They have gatorskins on them. I am finishing a new build on a ... Read More »

Rol Volant's or Mavic Aksiums

I have the stock set of Mavic Aksiums that came on my Caad10, and I also have a newish set of Rol Volant wheels. The Rols are a little lighter (not much) which ones would you put on for a relatively flat 40 mile ride this weekend?Read More »