Rolf Prima Elan wheelsets - clincher

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

Whether you're a climbing specialist or simply want an alloy wheelset with the lowest rotating weight, the Èlan is the wheel system for your race day arsenal. wheel size: 700c/650c category: lightweight weight [700c]: 1295g set [555g/740g] weight [650c]: 1220g set spoke count: butted 20F/24R rim: clincher hubs: Campagnolo and Shimano compatible

Submitted by Mark Wynn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    Highest strength and stay-true for weight. Excellent hubs. Look cool. Choice of black or retro silver. Nothing looks as good as a polished silver wheel in motion.

Weaknesses:    None provided you acknowledge that light wheels are generally not advised for Clydesdales.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 220 and use this (lightest alum wheel made) wheelset for senior games time trials. I fully accept that Rolf doesn't recommend the Elan for my weight, so if I crunch one, it's on me. I have Rolf Vigor RS wheelset on the (Paramount Ti) the rest of the time. Rolf design and hand build creates the strongest wheelset in every category. I will buy no other.

Favorite Ride:   Hotter'n Hell Hundred (3 times)

Purchased At:   bikeshop, Lincoln NE

Similar Products Used:   There's nothing like the Rolf design and hand-build, at least that I've used. Campy look somewhat similar but I haven't owned any.

Bike Setup:   Paramount Titanium (Serotta), Campy Chorus, Reynolds carbon fork and bar, Syntach aero, Speedplay Zero, King hedset. 16 pounds.

Submitted by CHL a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight
Quick Acceleration
Great for Climbing
Price (for a sub 1400gm wheel).

Weaknesses:    Slight pulsation during braking.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are light and climb with the greatest of ease. They accelerate quickly and crisply. In addition, I found them to ride very comfortably. Like others, I have noticed that there is a slight pulsation during braking. I don't think it's an imbalance issue but more of a machining issue, similar to a warped brake rotor.

I have not found it to cause handling issues and is not any more than what I have felt on an Open Pro wheel.

The wheels spin very smoothly but not as easily as my Campagnolo Eurus wheels.

Purchased At:   Full Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Campagnolo Eurus
Mavic Open Pro
Rolf Wheels Vector

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD4 R800 (Ultegra)
Cannondale Super Six (DA)

Submitted by jimijoe43 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
these wheels are great - light, strong, quick. But its hard for me to just rate this wheelset alone. I not only bought these for my 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, I bought Boca ceramic bearings to go with them. Also put Vredestein tubes and Fortezza tricomps on them. These wheels just won't stop spinning! I picked up a couple mph's just the first couple times out! My buddies think I'm doping.
Torque is unbelievable. Climbing is outstanding. Even fast, curving descents are a breeze.
I highly recommend these upgrades.

Purchased At:   gottaride.com

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek Madone 5.5
SRAM Force components (came standard with Dura-Ace but I swapped out for Srams), Bontrager compact crank.
Soon to be all Sram Reds ( my next and final upgrades)

Submitted by Mazbab a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2008

Strengths:    Fast
Light
quick spin up
sweet looking

Weaknesses:    I don't think I will find any

Bottom Line:
These wheels are awesome, I instantly climbed faster and even descended faster with them, which made my friend upset because she always is faster than I am, as she has been at this sport longer than I have so these wheels really give you an advantage. They spin up quickly because they are so light and are just sweet to ride. My LBS talked me into them as they were over what I wanted to initially spend but I am so glad they did because they are so worth the added speed they give me.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium SL
Easton Ascent II

Submitted by David a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2006

Strengths:    Very aerodynamic, lighter weight, fast.

Weaknesses:    Poor Rolf customer service. The rear rim developed cracks from less than 2,000 miles of normal usage. However, the fact that the rim developed cracks is not the issue. The fact that Rolf would not honor their warranty is a major problem. Rolf indicated that the only way that the rim would develop cracks had to be a result of a crash or pothole/etc, and therefore was the buyers problem. (I can tell you that these wheels were well cared for, and were not subjucted to any abuse, so Rolf Customer Service was wrong). As a result they charged for the replacement rim and labor to repair. So while these are nice wheels, just be aware that Rolf will do whatever thay can to weasle out of warranty repairs.

Bottom Line:
These wheels handle nice, look good and have a decent ride quality. Unfortunately, the rear wheel developed a crack in less than a year under normal riding conditions.

Favorite Ride:   Enchanted Circle, NM

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace 7701, Rolf Prima Vigors (bearings went out after about 3,000 miles), Bontrager Aero

Bike Setup:   Orbea Orca, Dura Ace

shimano dur ace c24 vs rolf prima elan

looking to upgrade, mostly for climbing and centuries. any thoughts on which is better? i would do a tube option.Read More »

Rolf Prima Elan Alpha?

Considering RP Elan Alphas as my next wheel set. Also considering a number of other similar weight-class wheels like the Zen Cyclery Anna Purna [url=http://www.zencyclery.com/road-wheels/anna-purna-custom-wheelset.html]Anna Purna Custom Bicycle Wheels[/url] Have concerns about the Stan's 340 rims ... Read More »

Bontrager RXL vs Rolf Prima Elan.

Hi guys. I need a new wheelset for my Domane 4.5 What I have my mind set on is to upgrade from Bontrager RL to RXL at my LBS or get a Rolf Prima Elan. I weigh 200 lbs and ride mixed hills and flats and will be using a 25mm tire for that bike. What do you guys recon ?Read More »

Easton EA90 vs Rolf Elan RS

I have a dillema, My Rolf Elan rear wheel needs a rebuild at $299. I can buy a Set of Easton EA90 SL new for $400. What is a better wheel for me a 190lb rider on my Ridley Noah. I am also considering Neuvation C50 but hesitant to use Tubulars all the time.Read More »

New Rolf Prima Elan wheelset for my Orca

I thought I would share some photos with my Orbea buddies of my new wheelset. I will give you a report back after a couple of rides.Read More »