Rolf Prima Sestriere wheelsets - clincher

3.95/5 (58 Reviews)

light, stiff, aerodynamic

Submitted by LJB

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2017

Strengths:    Very light and spin up quickly while easily maintaining a very high cadence. Bought this wheelset used and quickly became my favorite set even more than my Mavic's and FSA's. That is until recently. I had them mounted on my road bike which is on a trainer for the winter. saw a small piece if silver metal on the floor and had no idea where it had come from. Started to ride the bike and the rear wheel locked up solid ! Looking down at the back wheel ti had locked up against the drive side brake pad. Looking closer at the rear wheel I realized that the piece of metal I found on the floor was a piece of the rear hub that had broken apart while I wasn't even on the bike ! If this had happened on the road or on a fast downhill this could have been a disaster ! Loved everything about this wheelset up until this, but I just can't bring myself to trust their reliability.

Weaknesses:    Unexpected and unexplained failure of rear hub. I strongly suggest that all current owner's of the Sestriere wheelset's check the hub/spoke and rim/spoke area's very carefully and check for hairline cracks.It's possible that the set that I purchased used may have had issue's beforehand, but it's something that I never thought would have happened on a high quality set of wheels.

Bottom Line:
Wish these were still in production, I would give a new set a chance. Not knowing the history of the set I have there is no way of knowing if they were abused or not. Reading a previous review of a post where the rider's front hub exploded while not even being mounted on a bike makes it difficult to put a lot of trust in these wheels.

Submitted by PC a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2016

Strengths:    Lightweight
Strong

Weaknesses:    Loud freehub

Bottom Line:
These wheels came with my brand new 2001 Trek 2300 USPS team model. I have been riding them ever since. I have used them on 3 different bikes, and currently they are used on my training bike, which is a 1978 Raleigh pro team bike. I am not a light rider (205lbs) and have never had any problems with these wheels. I have had to had them trued once a year. I am very surprised that they work so well given that they are 15 years old and have close to 20,000 miles on them. Now that they are on my training bike, I only use them 3 days a week and only average 700-800 miles per month.
I would buy these wheels again. I will keep using them until they blow up..at this point I feel that I have gotten my money out of them.

Purchased At:   Bike World Salem, OR

Submitted by Gary Leeman

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2016

Strengths:    Very Light, Very Fast

Weaknesses:    Fragile

Bottom Line:
I am 125lbs and used these wheels for quite awhile..........loved them until the front wheel hub exploded when the wheel was off the bike and just sitting in the bike room. These are dangerous wheels and I urge anyone who has them to be aware. I feel very fortunate to not been riding them when the failure happened. I still have the rear and it looks in excellent condition.

Submitted by Soundtallica

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    Still lightweight in comparison to wheels today even though they're 13 years old, climb well, holds momentum on flats, sturdy, silky ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Don't feel as stiff or solid as heavier wheelsets off-road, on road they are just fine.

Bottom Line:
Bought a set of these wheels used for $90. What a great investment. These wheels are freakin' awesome everywhere! They are light (somewhere between 1400 and 1500 grams), accelerate quickly and hold momentum on any kind of ride. They are billed as lightweight climbing wheels and that is true, they allow me to push a gear higher than with my old wheels. I expected to only excel at climbing, but I was surprised at how well they hold momentum on flat rides, as I was consistently able to push my toughest gear (52-12) all ride long. What surprised me even more is their durability: I've ridden them on a few mixed dirt and road roubaix style rides and they have stayed true. It seems from reviews here that these Sestrieres are delicate, but that's not the case for me. Maybe the previous owner of my set had the rear re-laced with stronger spokes or something. Another thing is that these wheels have very good ride quality, they actually make my aluminum bike comfortable on those roubaix rides. The only downside is that these wheels don't feel as solid off road as say, a good Ksyrium wheel. But they are still strong and I guess that's the tradeoff for being lightweight and riding well.

Favorite Ride:   Sunshine Canyon

Purchased At:   Veloswap

Similar Products Used:   Easton Circuit, Mavic Ksyrium Elite, Rolf Vector Comp, Ritchey Aeromax, Mavic Cosmic Elite, Mavic Open Pro, cheap Alex wheels

Bike Setup:   2005 ParkPre Image Road, Ultegra, Sestrieres, Oval Carbon Fork, Ritchey Pro bits.

Submitted by buddhaonbelay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
I own a nearly unused pair of Rolf Sestriere's.
They are a great set of mountain wheels for a lighter rider. After I demo'd them years ago, I bought a set but had hip surgery and gained weight. I never road this set. The (9) cassette is: (13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-26).
I live in Cape Coral, FL.
I am asking $300.00