Rolf Prima Sestriere wheelsets - clincher

3.96/5 (56 Reviews)

light, stiff, aerodynamic

Submitted by Gary Leeman

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2016

Strengths:    Very Light, Very Fast

Weaknesses:    Fragile

Bottom Line:
I am 125lbs and used these wheels for quite awhile..........loved them until the front wheel hub exploded when the wheel was off the bike and just sitting in the bike room. These are dangerous wheels and I urge anyone who has them to be aware. I feel very fortunate to not been riding them when the failure happened. I still have the rear and it looks in excellent condition.

Submitted by Soundtallica

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    Still lightweight in comparison to wheels today even though they're 13 years old, climb well, holds momentum on flats, sturdy, silky ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Don't feel as stiff or solid as heavier wheelsets off-road, on road they are just fine.

Bottom Line:
Bought a set of these wheels used for $90. What a great investment. These wheels are freakin' awesome everywhere! They are light (somewhere between 1400 and 1500 grams), accelerate quickly and hold momentum on any kind of ride. They are billed as lightweight climbing wheels and that is true, they allow me to push a gear higher than with my old wheels. I expected to only excel at climbing, but I was surprised at how well they hold momentum on flat rides, as I was consistently able to push my toughest gear (52-12) all ride long. What surprised me even more is their durability: I've ridden them on a few mixed dirt and road roubaix style rides and they have stayed true. It seems from reviews here that these Sestrieres are delicate, but that's not the case for me. Maybe the previous owner of my set had the rear re-laced with stronger spokes or something. Another thing is that these wheels have very good ride quality, they actually make my aluminum bike comfortable on those roubaix rides. The only downside is that these wheels don't feel as solid off road as say, a good Ksyrium wheel. But they are still strong and I guess that's the tradeoff for being lightweight and riding well.

Favorite Ride:   Sunshine Canyon

Purchased At:   Veloswap

Similar Products Used:   Easton Circuit, Mavic Ksyrium Elite, Rolf Vector Comp, Ritchey Aeromax, Mavic Cosmic Elite, Mavic Open Pro, cheap Alex wheels

Bike Setup:   2005 ParkPre Image Road, Ultegra, Sestrieres, Oval Carbon Fork, Ritchey Pro bits.

Submitted by buddhaonbelay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
I own a nearly unused pair of Rolf Sestriere's.
They are a great set of mountain wheels for a lighter rider. After I demo'd them years ago, I bought a set but had hip surgery and gained weight. I never road this set. The (9) cassette is: (13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-26).
I live in Cape Coral, FL.
I am asking $300.00

Purchased At:   Bike Shop in Reno, N

Bike Setup:   Masi Grand Criterion

Submitted by Bracken Smith a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    Strong rim, light weight.

Weaknesses:    original spokes too light for the task

Bottom Line:
Very strong light weight rims. The factory original spokes were too light and I broke several in the first year. Had the wheels restrung with double butted spokes and have put about 10,000 miles on these wheels. The rims are crazy strong, I crossed wheels and snapped off 5 spokes and the rim stayed true!

Favorite Ride:   eastern sierra double century

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike.com

Bike Setup:   Serotta Legend Ti, with Record 10

Submitted by Michael Lemon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    light, fast, strong! Excellent all around wheel.

Weaknesses:    Might as well tape a poker card to the rear wheel, cause that's what they sound like. LOUD!

Bottom Line:
Bought these wheels 8 years ago. Raced them for 5, now I do my weekend warrior rides on them. Have used them for climbs, crits, TT's. Can't say enough good about them. Best wheel I have ever purchased. Have never broken a spoke, and only minimal tuning in 8 years.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride

Bike Setup:   Klein Quantum Race, with quite a few upgrades.