Rolf Prima Vector Comp wheelsets - clincher

3.79/5 (85 Reviews)

• spokes 18h front, 20h rear
  • 700c clincher wheels
  • Lightweight precision cartridge bearing hubset
  • Greater radial and lateral strength
  • Aero cross-section spokes
  • Deeper section aero rim
  • Reduced spoke count

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by singraham046 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff and responsive, aero and handle 35 mph cross-winds well, sure-footed at 50mph descent, remain true over quite bumpy surfaces.

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!

Bottom Line:
    The Rolf Vector Comp wheels came with my LeMond Zurich perchased in 2001. I weigh 165 and average 3000-4000 miles per year. What can I say, the wheels have over 30,000 miles and finally I'll be replacing them because of rim wear from brakes. Never had to true them up, never broke a spoke. they are as close to bullet-proof as anything.

Favorite Ride:   Boulder to Carter Lake

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery,

Similar Products Used:   This my first and only serious road bike

Bike Setup:   LeMond Zurich 853 steel frame, Ultegra triple chain ring combined with 12-25 cluster, Vittoria Rubino 25mm tires

Submitted by WetPaint a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2010

Strengths:    lighter overall wieght

Weaknesses:    hubs, rims, reliability, stiffness

Bottom Line:
    First few months riding these wheels I noticed that the they are a bit lighter overall but the rims are a bit heavier that most entry level wheels (mavic, easton, fulcrum, ect.) so the are a harder to get up to speed and once they are there they ride like a dream. I have had problems with the hubs and rims, I have done six hub overhauls and four truings for both the front and rear due to the paired spokes and old bearings. If these wheels find a good home and have an owner who doesn't beat the s*** out of them racing they are great and will last forever. For racing and hard traing these are one of the least reliable wheels I have ever owned.

Favorite Ride:   Cycle Science

Purchased At:   stock

Similar Products Used:   mavic ksyrium elite, zipp 808/404

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 200 sci frame, Sram Force groupset, Mavic ksyrium elite (trainers), Zipp 808r/404f (racers)

Submitted by zanderz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Extremely strong! Very little maintenance required.

Weaknesses:    There are lighter wheels out there, if you care about that. Also: these are out of production and you can't get parts.

Bottom Line:
    These wheels came on my Klein, and I was astonished when the rear lasted 3x longer than any other wheel, including one with 36 heavy duty spokes. I always had trouble with wheels: broken axles, spokes, nipples, etc., until Rolf came into my life. Now I am sad because parts are not available for these any more. For a few years I had the rear rebuilt when the rim began to crack, at about 8k-10k miles, but I guess I'm done with that now.

Favorite Ride:   Honey Run

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Aksium, various other wheels from Wheelsmith, etc.

Bike Setup:   Stock 1998 Klein Quantum Race

Submitted by murray a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Strengths:    Very low Maintenance

Weaknesses:    hummm.....none!

Bottom Line:
    I'm 220 race weight. Winter 225lbs. These wheels are incedible! I have never had any issues with my hubs, trued front and back maybe 3 times..always dependable !!
    (simple),fixable and now there popping spokes.
    i'll just re-spoke and keep on.......

Favorite Ride:   rosman, nc

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Bontrager, Mavic..
    Don't remember the models...

Bike Setup:   These wheel have been on both steel and aluminum frames..three bikes!

Submitted by MTBerwithroadrash a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2007

Strengths:    absolutely bombproof
    roll nicely (hold speed)

Weaknesses:    on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
    I've used these wheels for training off and on since 2001, because I can't find anything that is more bombproof. I wouldn't want to race on them (they're an oafish 1900g for the set) but for training they are perfect. The set I have must have at least 20k miles on them and I've adjusted the rear hub once and never had to true the wheels. I'm a pretty light rider, but after 20k miles you would think that they would have come out of true at least a little bit...

Favorite Ride:   anything

Purchased At:   found them in my bas