Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850-C24-TL Tubeless wheelsets - clincher

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Shimano Dura Ace WH-7850-C24-TL Carbon Clincher Tubeless Road Wheelset. The same stiffness as the CL version, now on a tube or tubeless compatible rim.

Submitted by First Tracks a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2014

Strengths:    Very fast rolling and supple, very light while still stiff enough, very smooth freewheel with instant engagement

Weaknesses:    Somewhat difficult to mount tubeless tires. Tubeless valve does not have a removable core, which means you have to unseat the tire bead to add sealant.

Bottom Line:
Wow, I love these wheels, especially when set up tubeless. I'm now running them with Specialized 23c/25c Roubaix Tubeless tires, and really love this set-up. The wheels aren't as stiff as my old Mavic Ksyrium SL's, but these are noticeably faster rolling and have a much more supple feel. I'm a strong 195 lb rider and initially could hear some popping sounds from spoke wind-up when standing to power up hill, but they have now bedded in and I don't notice any wind-up or flex. The tires are tight and tougher to mount than conventional tires, especially when new, but I got them on ok using a single plastic tire lever. I run 1.5 oz of Stan's sealant in each and have yet to have a flat in the first 1000 miles, with a most of it in difficult wet Alaskan conditions when my buddies were having a lot of flats. I wish the Specialized tubeless valve stem had a removable core like the Stan's stems as that makes it much easier to add sealant (note: the Stan's universal valve stems won't work on these wheels due to the narrow shape of the rim channel). I need to use a compressor to seat the bead, but once seated the wheelset holds air very well, probably better than my tubes wheels. I'm very happy with these wheels.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium SL

Bike Setup:   S-Works Roubaix SL2, full Dura-Ace 7850

Submitted by Michael W, a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2012

Strengths:    Ride quality, weight.

Weaknesses:    Tubeless wheels are a real bear to put on the rim! I broke 3 Park levers on the last before asking for help holding it in place, while I used the lever. With that said, theorhetically, I won't be pulling off to the side of the road to replace my inner-tube anymore either. I guess it's best to pay a bit up front, for a pleasant ride after.

Bottom Line:
I was absolutely STUNNED by the difference in ride quality between my WH-7800's and the new WH-7850 tubeless wheelsets. For me, it was perhaps as great as the difference between a carbon and aluminum frame. I was considering getting a new Trek Domane, but have decided against it: I actually want to stay in touch with the tarmac conditions beneath me. You never know, I might ride over a pit or something and never realize it until it was too late!

I've only ridden these a few weeks now and will let you know if anything changes.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   S-Works Roubaix, Di2, Pro Evo Bar/Stem, WH-7850

Submitted by biker58life a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    tough, stiff enough, smooth tubeless ride, roll freakishly smooth, fairly good deal if u can get them below $900.

Weaknesses:    I like these to be under 1000 grams but I also like to see world peace.

Bottom Line:
In a nutshell, I love these wheels. IDK if the tubeless tires are tuff t2 put on bcoz I go to LBS and I never hear any boohoo from them. I have Hutchingson Atoms, expensive (about $160 for the whole shebang) but just stunning. To me.

I love the tubeless set up, as a matter of fact, I bought a complete bike with a set of old scandium tubeless in '08 and I never looked back; I have 4 bikes and they all run tubeless. Shimano D/A hubs are fantastic, roll beautifully. I am about 180 pounds and wheels are tuff! I have a riding buddy who is over 250 and these r the only wheels still working when out of warrantee; he has since lost 60-70 pounds. I just put in an order for Colnago C59 and I so want to get another set of these; I guess I can pay more but will I get more? Madfiber tubeless look pretty sweet though.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere cool by the ocean

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Ksyium Equipe, Zipp 303, D/A C24 CL,

Bike Setup:   Scott Addict R2, Colnago President, Ridley Noah, Scott Addict SL, Look 555,

Submitted by Dewey Formby a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    Light, wonderful tubeless ride when functioning properly. Great road feel with lower psi, and no speed loss.

Weaknesses:    Impossible to mount fresh out of the box tires for a normal guy. Tires would not hold air, sealant dried.

Bottom Line:
I, too, have had problems with these wheels. I could not mount tires, neither Hutchinson tubeless or typical tubed tires. I tucked my tail and went to my LBS. He is experienced but new to tubeless and he struggled too. He got them on, with Hutchinson sealer, and the ride was DIVINE. But they wouldn't hold air. After a few returns for resealing, I gave up. I was going to sell, but decided to try tubed tires once more. I cleaned the dried sealant as best I could. I took slightly used tires off another wheelset and they mounted right up. The tires need to be seasoned first, prestretched. I've only ridden in the neighborhood, will report on a longer ride, but they are holding air well, and these are light wheels. I will experiment with psi.

Favorite Ride:   2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra 2009, Mavic Kysirium Elite, Hed Ardennes fr 2011 (superb)

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert, stock Ultegra specs, Hed Ardennes fr wheels with Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 320 tires, or Continental GP 4000 S, a tossup.

Submitted by AlexH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, Comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    Not that stiff, doesn't stay true for long. Tough to mount the tubeless tires.

Bottom Line:
I purchased those wheels as a trade for the Bontrager Race that initially came with my Trek Madone 5.5. I also have a set of Shimano RS 80 and I can't say the 7850 wheels are stiff but boy they roll better, very low rolling resistance, they roll forever !

For the price I would wish they would be stiffer. My Campy Zonda (on my other bike) at half the price are stiffer and stay true. After about 1000km I had to bring back the 7850 that was not true anymore. Now they are ok. Changing tires are not a pleasant experience but once they are on they are great to use, very smooth ride.

Great rolling wheel for the price but was expecting a stiffer wheel. I have purchased a new bike and this time I'm going back to Campy for the wheelset.