Shimano Dura Ace WH-7850-C50-CL wheelsets - clincher

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)
MSRP : $2000.00

• Pro-Tour performance with the convenience of clinchers
  • Proprietary Shimano carbon-alloy composite construction
  • Aerodynamic 50mm deep section rims
  • New titanium freehub body w/quick engagement

Submitted by hoiminglee a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    Made by Shimano, and their Dura Ace, this gives me huge confidence in the product.
Holding true even though i've hit potholes.
Quiet bearings,
Roll very well
very strong, no noise when pushing up hills etc.

Weaknesses:    Kinda heavy at 1700 grams.
My bike used to weight 15.5lbs with zipp 404 but now comes in at just under 17lbs just because of the wheels.
Not sure about the dura ace sticker design, i'm looking to replace later, maybe have no stickers.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 170lbs, and I'm 6 foot in height, generally put the bike through a good session each time i ride.

A pretty solid set of wheels, no issues, no strange noises, I ride about 250km a week. Switched from zipp 404 tubulars back to clinchers but wanted something reliable with a medium profile.

I purchased these wheels used which i found through a local website, i got a bargain for them, literally they were new, he took them off a bike. Not sure really why he sold them.

Switching back to clinchers after my very frustrating experience with the zipp 404 tubulars. Changing tubulars I find is a pain in the ass, tubular tires are bloody expensive and if you go out on a long ride you have to carry the whole tire. It's just not worth the hassle for the marginal decrease in rolling resistance and "responsiveness".

If they could just shave 200 grams from the weight to get it to a respectable level I would give these wheels a full 5 star rating, at this point a 4 out of 5 i believe is fair.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404 Tubulars which I owned for 1 year. Hated them, stiff as hell, really made for racing only, spokes always shifted, and made a lot of noise, creaks, etc. but they always stayed true and were fast.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo SLC-SL
Dura Ace all around

Submitted by CrazyMadCyclist a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Strengths:    snooth
stiff
durable
great bearings (cup and cone)
quiet
fast
affordable

Weaknesses:    weight: I have measured mine at 1687gs (excl skewers). Zipps and Reynolds are lighter by approx 150-200g
Drag on the free wheel is a little high
It took me several attemps to adjust the rear hub bearings as when they arrived they where to "tight". Advise: use lighter grease ( i found Finish Line Teflon Greae to work best after several attempts)

Bottom Line:
Wow, these wheels have exceeded my expectations from day 1. I use them for longer distance training and flatter profile races. They are smooth, stiff robust, and the cone bearings work well, (once adjusted corectly.

The wheels spin up nicely on the flats and are not too bad in the cross winds. Area where I live (Wellington, NZ) is surrounded by 200-500m hills and i find that i notice their weight on gradients above 8% on these hills. Descenting is an absolute dream. This area also typically has high winds which tend to be quite noticable on the rims when windspeeds are above 25km/h

On the first ride i was surprised how quiet they where when free wheeling (compared to the Mavic buzz of my previous wheels)

Robust: Over the 6months i have used them, they have run true dispite hitting several potholes at speed. They have faired well on the mostly rough chip surface we have in area i live.

I was looking for 50-60mm carbon rims and selection criteria inlcuded being able to use rims regualarly (3-4 times a week), and as light as possible. I ruled out full carbon as i could not be bothered to change brake pads every time i swop rims, and effective stopping in the wet and on descents was important The Dura Ace c50cl ticked off my criteria best. Wheelsets considered included;

Zipp 404 Clincher: Nice but bit expensive
Mavic cosmic carbone: On heavier side
Reynolds Assault C: I prefer alloy braking, but this was my second choice
Sram s60: I alread own these on my TT bike. They are a bit on the heavy side.

It took me several attemps to adjust the rear hub bearings as when they arrived they where too "tight". Advise: use lighter grease ( i found Finish Line Teflon Grease to work best after several attempts with different greases)

Bottom line = I have no hesitation in recommending these rims to serious riders. I have been so impressed that i bought a set of Dura ace C24Cl which have also proven excellent rims, great for climbing/training.

Purchased At:   chain Reaction Cycle

Wheels 1: Dura Ace c50
Wheels 2: Dura Ace c24 clincher

Submitted by youcoming a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, look great, amazing in sprints, like riding on a cloud what use to be rough is smooth what use to be smooth is glass.

Weaknesses:    Was a little worried on how they would climb but wasn't an issue till grade got above 15% and then the stiffness factor kinda took care of some of that.

Bottom Line:
I will admit I have very limited experience with these wheels but I am not easily impressed but WOW these things are amazing. I have a tendancy to not watch my speed and on my first ride I thought, did I waste my money? It felt like I was not really moving, I look down at garmin and it's reading 36.5km/h in a very strong headwind. I then realized what it was, these things are smooth, it was lack of road buzz that gave impression I was not working real hard. Hard to explain it was an amazing feeling! Wheels look amazing, sound great, fast, handle great, stiff in corners yet smooth on flats and chip seal roads.

Favorite Ride:   Ganaraska Edge

Similar Products Used:   first set of deep clinchers

Bike Setup:   2009 5.5 Project One Madone. Sram Force 53-39, 11-25
Mich Pro3.

Submitted by Karl Prothero a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Strengths:    Quality, visual appeal and price. The fact that they come with skewers, magnet and bags was a nice touch too.

Weaknesses:    Valve extenders are a bit basic but good for emergencies. Little bit heavy not noticeable when riding though all in the hubs, wheel rotation etc blah blah.

Bottom Line:
I've been waiting to get hold of these wheels now for around six months as I think Shimano withdrew them until they added rim tape. But it was worth the wait.
In the time I was waiting I borrowed a friends Zipp 808's to try. These were good but I think these Dura Ace wheels are better, the overall quality of the hubs, bearings, spokes, seals and rim just seems to exude a quality that I think is missing on the Zipp's, the fact that the Zipp's are nearly twice the price doesn't seem to be justified. Riding these wheels is a joy, I think they are amazing, very stiff, yet compliant, they also look great and make a good noise. I don't know whether I put more effort in when riding new gear but on a standard 25 miler I have definetly got an increase in my avaerage speed of an extra 1.5mph, it seems effortless to get them up to speed and they like staying there. Little bit of movement in crosswinds but nothing to worry about plus this was a windy day of 20mph + winds. With any wheelset though there aero advantage really only comes in to play on the flat. For triathlons whatever the distance or time trials I think these will be hard to beat.

Favorite Ride:   Sun Spot and Steps Llandegla