Shimano RS-80 wheelsets - clincher

4.15/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by Ralph Percival

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Strengths:    Nice light wheelset that performed well on outset

Weaknesses:    The rear wheel carbon outer on the rim failed whist braking at 35mph down a mountain in France. Result was very buckled wheel (seized up in forks it was so bent) damaged spokes and outer carbon rim partially detached from wheel. Lucky to be alive as was on a hairpin at time with deep ravine looming !!! Suspect the wheel over heated which should not have had this impact on such a high spec wheel.

Bottom Line:
Can't say I have any confidence in this wheelset anymore. Interested if anyone else has had a similar failure

Submitted by mauricio lepe

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Seem to have all the strength I need.

Weaknesses:    none that I have read.

Bottom Line:
Okay so I've been doing a lot of research on the perfect wheel for my specialized Allez sport 2013 and came to the conclusion that this is the best wheel for my price range ($500) I have not purchase these wheels yet due to lack of fund. I weight 185 pounds and after reading all these reviews and seeing that some heavier rider were able to put a ton of miles without breaking a spoke I was SOLD! I was scared that the low spoke count would be an issue with my weight, specially the front being 16, I guess the carbon absorbs most of the pounding. I was first looking at the Pro Lite Bracciano at first, they weight on the 1400 gram range and for $399 plus shipping of their websites it was a steal. They also got nothing but good reviews other then a few saying the cogs dig in the free hub to easy, that kind of threw me off. I really trust Shimano on their quality (they have been doing it for a long time) You really can't go wrong with a dura ace carbon/alloy hoop and ultegra hubs! If these wheels do me right I will later on upgrade to the dura ace version to this wheel and pay the extra money for the titanium freehub :) I will come back I na free months after I get it and ride the shiiiiiiit out of them lol. See you all soon

Submitted by Richard a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Great value
Reliability

Bottom Line:
I used these wheels for almost 5,000 miles last year without any problems. I had them re-tensioned and trued once - pretty good considering a 200lb rider. I used a set of Mavik Aksiums and a set of Bontrager X Lites before these, they both flexed much more than these and were also heavier (and cheaper). There really aren't any other bomb proof ~1500g wheelsets that I could find for this value.

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    Fast
Comfortable Ride
Look good

Bottom Line:
Upgraded from my stock Mavic Aksiums. I've been blown away by the speed the difference. Depending the ride (rollers or flats) I've picked up 1.2 mph to 2.0 mph in my average speed. A much larger difference then the frame upgrade a couple of years ago. They're also a very comfortable ride. Responsive but not a harsh ride.

Submitted by Paul

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    Weight - stiffness - carbon construction.

Weaknesses:    Red nipples - had to true after 4 rides - hard to feel benefits of carbon - rim lacks aerodynamics boxy

Bottom Line:
Switched from ksyrium elites to the rs-80 wheels. After 6 rides it is hard to tell any major difference. The shimano wheels are a bit more harsh/staff. The front wheel needs to be tried slightly. Possibly a bit better climbing, descending speed a little faster. Worth considering. Wish the rim was more aero.

Purchased At:   From friend