Shimano Ultegra WH-6700 Tubeless wheelsets - clincher

4.29/5 (14 Reviews)

ULTEGRA blends race-proven technology with ergonomic perfection. ULTEGRA Wheel Set features lightweight 10-Speed compatible alloy axles and freehub body with 16x20 straight pull stainless steel spokes. Road tubeless tires and clincher tires compatible. St

Submitted by Kenn

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Light. Smooth. Amazing.

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far!

Bottom Line:
I ve ridden about 125 miles on them and could not be happier. Installed a set of maxis padrone 120TPI and they roll like butter over some pretty toasted roads. They were a great price but an even better value.

Submitted by santacruzdave

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2013

Strengths:    Reliable. Same width rim as Dura Ace and RS-80. No brake adjustment necessary when swapping wheels. Tubeless or not your choice. Hubs are easily serviced. Comfortable ride, while laterally stiff enough not to rub the brake pads during 1000 watt sprints. Cost effective training wheels.

Weaknesses:    None in 2000 miles worth of winter riding. One could argue that replacing a spoke or rim would be a more complex and perhaps expensive proposition, but that is true of any factory wheel.

Bottom Line:
I use these wheels as my winter wheels. I bough them so I would not wear out a Dura Ace 7850 wheelset during the winter here in Santa Cruz, CA. The back roads here are rough with many potholes and irregular surface areas. These wheels have performed very well the last three winters. Lots of grit from farms on the roads in winter, and the aluminium rims are wearing well. I really like the fact that the rims are exactly the same width as my DA-7850's. Wheel swaps are super easy with no brake adjustment necessary. There is not a lot of difference between the 6700's and the 7850's. I'm tempted to say the 7850's spin-up a bit faster 'cause they are 150 or so grams lighter, but that might be completely psychological. With the same set of tires, there is no real difference in performance between the two. Yea, the 7850's look a lot kooler. Overall I am very happy with the 6700's. Where they my only wheels I would be a happy camper. I am running Continental 4000s tires on both the 6700's and the 7850's with tubes. I ride mostly club rides and training rides 50 to 75 miles average at around 15 to 17 mph average speed. I like the ride quality, down hill confidence building performance (45 mph down Bonny Doon road). I have had very good luck with Shimano higher-end wheels, and at the price I don't think you can beat the 6700's. Right now you can get them from PBK for $360. Excellent wheelset for the price.

Submitted by Mike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, low spoke count

Weaknesses:    Weak spokes, needs truing frequently.

Bottom Line:
I bought these 18 months ago and train 80-120 miles a week. I had some American Classics which I liked, but am a fan of Shimano and thought I would like their rims. But unfortunately, they constantly need truing. I'm probably having to tru the rear rim every 2-3 months. I've also had two spokes break. Never had these problems with other rims. So I'm disappointed and shopping for new rims.

Favorite Ride:   Vinings Ride

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   American Classic

Bike Setup:   Blue RX7 all Ultegra components.

Submitted by Gary T

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Strengths:    Strong and light, rolls so well and looks good

Bottom Line:
Had these wheels for 2 months and not a problem. Replacing Bontrager SSR wheels that came with the bike, they are faster and stronger and very smooth to ride on. Very happy with them.

Submitted by Hiro11

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Strengths:    Durable with typical Shimano Ultegra-level quality throughout
Good looking and understated graphics
Not too heavy

Weaknesses:    Don't really stand out from the competition at this very competitive price point
Truing a bit tricky
Some people might not like cones

Bottom Line:
I prefer cone hubs as it's a snap to set perfect preload and they're cheap to overhaul with $2 worth of grade 25 ball bearings. Also, I'll admit that I'm a big fan of Shimano: I've been riding their stuff for 20 years and never had a problem. The main reason I chose these wheels is the sterling (deserved) reputation of Shimano's cone hubs. I'm not a fan of tubeless setups, these also work fine with typical clinchers. Rim is nicely machined and seamless, rim strips not required as it's tubeless-ready. Graphics are an understated matte black and white design. Spokes are straight-pull, slightly bladed and non-standard, it may be tricky to find spares. Also, as with all straight-pulls, truing is a bit tricky as you need two wrenches: one to hold to spoke and one to adjust the nipple. 16/20 spoke count which is low to me but fine (I weigh 145, YMMV) . The wheels come in at right around 1650g which is isn't the lightest but certainly not bad. The wheels seem bombproof, though. Really tough everyday training wheels. They're essentially a lighter, tubeless-ready option if you're considering the classic Open Pro / Ultegra combo. Nice wheels.