Shimano WH-7850-C24-CL wheelsets - clincher

4.62/5 (21 Reviews)

• Patent Pending Shimano construction for a new level of carbon-alloy strength/weight
  • New titanium freehub body w/quick engagement
  • New wider flange hub and offset rim for rigidity and increased power transmission
  • Shimano quality proven angular contact bearings with oversize 7075 alloy axles
  • Rim wear indicator allows safe detection of worn rim
  • Weight : 1,370g (pair)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by JerseyGeoff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    durability combined with light weight- pretty sure there is nothing else out there as durable at this weight point

Weaknesses:    not cheap- you get what you pay for. I have around 8-10,000 recreational miles on them and I do not see any significant wear on the aluminum strips( they have a wear indicator)- but suspect that will govern lifespan.

Bottom Line:
    I have not regrets- I hate a nondurable part on my bikes and these wheels are holding up great. They appear to be a little quicker than my old Bontrager Race X-lites( those lasted 35,000 miles), and I think just a little smoother too. Worth the money if you ride long miles.

Favorite Ride:   Cycle Oregon

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race X-Lites, Mavic Open Pro 's

Bike Setup:   Seven Aerios

Submitted by Hicks

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    Light, smooth, confidence on downhill

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel often out of true

Bottom Line:
    I bought an entry level CAAD8 and rode it for a year with the original cheap wheels. After changing to C24's it was like a revelation: enlightenment and joy. Because I know nothing else, I have up with the wheel truing problem, and after getting tired of taking to the LBS, I got handy with the spoke wrenches. Finally a few months ago, I just tried tightening up all the the spokes on the rear tire about 50%. After that the problem subsided greatly; I now just do a minor re-tune every 2000 km or so, a few times a year.

Submitted by Eric Hermosura a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Light, takes out road vibration, bombproof as far as "light" wheel sets go.

Weaknesses:    Price, but if you're buying these you know what you're getting with durability and dependability.

Bottom Line:
    As bombproof a light wheel can get. I'm 165 lbs. and these have remained true even with going downhill and blasting a pot hole that made my tires/tube blow out. I've been on these for close to 2 years and have not had a problem with them. Pretty stiff and does a fair job of taking out road vibration, it helps that I ride a Cervelo R3. I'm on the road 3-6 days a week and these are my standard wheels. If you buy'em you might as well use them. If you ride these for a long time you forget how nice they ride, until you swap these wheels out. These make you smile when you go on a ride.

Favorite Ride:   Anything I walk away from

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA90, Shimano C50, Neuvation R28

Submitted by Chainstay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Light, great value, solid feel on twisty descents, Aluminium braking surface, quality Dura Ace hubs and free-wheel body, quiet free-wheel body, seem to roll fast, holding up well under lots of rough use

Weaknesses:    If you want a cushy ride there may be more suitable wheels out there

Bottom Line:
    I have put about 8000km on these wheels and have grown to love them. They remain as true as when I bought them. They are light but very solid to descend on so they make a great climbing wheels. Hubs and free-wheel body are outstanding Dura Ace quality. I much prefer the Al braking surface to carbon fibre, especially for long descents.

I found they transmitted a bit more road shock than my previous Ksyrium SL's but it felt like they rolled faster

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction in UK