Shimano WH-7850-SL wheelsets - clincher

4.89/5 (19 Reviews)

• The first road tube & tubeless tire compatible wheels
  • Patent Pending light, strong & durable "butted" Scandium alloy rim
  • New titanium freehub body w/quick engagement
  • New wider flange hub and offset rim for rigidity and increased power transmission
  • Shimano quality proven angular contact bearings with oversize 7075 alloy axles
  • Rim wear indicator allows safe detection of worn rim
  • Weight : 1,470g (pair)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by fast ferd a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, quiet. Backwards compatible all the way to 8 sp hyperglide.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    Indestructible wheelset. Stiff, light, and fast. No lateral flex. Straight as the day bought and never put a wrench to them. They look good, too.

Favorite Ride:   San Gabriel Valley foothills

Purchased At:   From a friend

Bike Setup:   Merlin Extralight with DA 7900. Michelin Pro Race 3's.

Submitted by milo Rusimovic a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    Strong without any flex. Have only had one flat which I was able to ride on as my Stan's goo worked great. The ride quality is amazing and I do not have to run high pressure.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
    I have been on these rims since late last summer and am very please with their overall performance. I am 6'2" and 185 and these rims are bomber!

Favorite Ride:   Whistler Grand Fondo

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Roubaix S works. Full Dura Ace with Ritchey bars and Stem.

Submitted by kel3at a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2011

Strengths:    smooth as butter, durable

Bottom Line:
    I am a tubeless convert. Got two sets of these, the carbon and the scandium. Both are great. The ride is so nice compared to regular clinchers. I think when someone comes out with some cheap priced tubeless the tubed age will slowly end. I cant believe it hasn't happened yet.

Purchased At:   bonktown

Submitted by bianchibuddy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Strengths:    Tubeless, stiff but not abusive, very durable, look great, roll fast, great on windy days

Weaknesses:    Freehub in the 7850 wheels is know for quick engagement, but will occasionally hang up between engagement teeth. Never been any sort of issue as it always engages, but will occasionally make a loud clunk.

Bottom Line:
    I am right at a year of ownership and can't rave about these wheels enough. I put on 1500 or so miles before the Hutchinson Atoms were toasted and then used Intensives for a few hundred after that. I rode then in the spring rains, on dirt roads, and did a number of near century rides on them and they have been excellent. I set them up tubeless cross this fall and they were even better then on the road. I rode them at 85-90 psi on the road and under 30-60 psi with CX tires. Raced CX at 30ish psi and they were just perfect.

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium, Easton EA90 SLX, Easton Orion, DA 7700, Reynolds Alta Race, many Mavic OP handbuilts.

Bike Setup:   Fuji SL1, DA, lots of Carbon

Submitted by amiles a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2010

Strengths:    I think this is a winning combination. Sure a bit heavier than what I was used to but the spin up time and smoothness outweighed any weight disadvantage

Weaknesses:    None so far but it is early days

Bottom Line:
    I already owned some Campy Shamal Two Way Wheels and thought they were the bees knees after all the reviews read and friends that had ridden on them. I have to say they are a very nice wheel and i have not used them with the tubeless tyres, only GP4000 and they run well and are nice and light. I purchased the 7850 as a second set to go with my bikes that are running Shimano as i have just converted to Di2.(smashing piece of kit). I went for a test ride today and having a Garmin Edge put the virtual trainer on to see how my time compared on a route I do often which takes in some decent hills as well as some nice flats. I put the tubeless Hutchinson Fusion 2 and man was I surprised. These wheels are heavier than the Shamals but they spin up so quickly its unbelievable. The tyres soak up the bumps and provided such a smooth ride that I was in disbelief. These were supposed to be my second wheels but I think I will be changing that idea and using them as my first wheels. I increased my average speed arriving home 2kms ahead of my best time. I was not doing anything differently and can only credit the tyre/wheel combo as the bike I was riding (colnago Extreme Power)was also heavier than my other bike (Look 585)

Favorite Ride:   anywhere in France