Shimano WH 7900 C24 CL wheelsets - clincher

First proper ride today, a hilly course over 45 miles, including a 12% climb and lots of 6%-8% gradients.

I am used to Mavic Ksyrium SSC SLs (2006) and handbuilt Mavic Open Pros.

I ran the DAs with Michelin Pro 3 Races and their lightweight tubes.

My strongest impression is that the DAs are incredibly smooth riding. The country lanes were still covered in winter debris, drying but sticky around the many farms along the route. Surfaces were very variable. The DAs floated over all of them, my most comfortable ride ever.

Whilst the wheels seem adequately stiff, with no flex I could discern when out of the saddle climbing, they are a world apart from the chatter you get on rough and broken surfaces from the (bombproof) Mavics. The DAs are smoother riding than the traditionally built Open Pros, which is really impressive.

My second strongest impression was just how grippy the braking surfaces were. Night and day compared with Open Pro rims and needing a bit more respect than the very easy to modulate Ksyrium rim surfaces which can take some firm braking without locking up. Occasional feathering of the DA rims was all that was needed to feel in complete control on all of today's descents.

The DAs are great climbing wheels, unsurprising given their ultra light 380 gm rims (plus 15 gm per rim tape) and ultra-slim steel spokes. Whether they were much easier up the steepest ascents than the Mavics is hard to say, but I very rarely used my lowest ratios on most of the hills. It generally felt like I had plenty in reserve, an this was my first ride after the winter months, so well off usual fitness.

Overall, albeit on the basis of a single 3 hr ride, I couldn't be happier with the new wheels, which feel like a really classy upgrade from the well-liked Ksyriums.

No Reviews Found.

Shimano WH-7900-C24-CL vs Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Why would I choose one over the other? Mavic's at 1550 grams and about $650 Shimano's at 1394 grams and about $ 900 Around 5.5 ounces and about $250 difference.Read More »

Dura Ace WH-7900 C24 CL convert to tubeless

I know the TL's are tubeless and CL's are not, but several of the online UK sites have CL's near $800. Can the CL's be cheaply and effectively converted to tubeless with one of the kits ? I haven't seen or installed any of the kits so maybe it's not worth the $100 savings for the hassle but at the p ... Read More »