Shimano WH-R500 wheelsets - clincher

3.07/5 (56 Reviews)

• Economical price point.
  • 8, 9 & 10-speed compatible
  • Stainless Steel Spokes
  • Weight: 1884g (pair)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jarhead

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2014

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Flimsy

Bottom Line:
    I weigh about 190 and I've had these wheels for less than a year and I've replaced 3 spokes.I can feel them flex and egg as I power up a hill. Total crap.

Submitted by Utomo a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2014

Strengths:    This wheelset came as stock when I bought BH Zaphire. Used the Zaphire for more than 500 Km through all kinds of road, including many stretches of road that have many potholes and bricks, this R500 is still true and keep asking for more. Yes, the wheelset is not a light one, this one weighs for more than 1.8 Kg and plus the Vittoria Zafira tires, it will be more than 2.1 Kg, BUT. R500 still ran true and very smooth. The spokes are also still good and tight. After each ride I washed the bike including the wheel very clean, and during the cleaning I made sure the spoke is tight. No need for Wheel Truing yet.

Weaknesses:    Weight. In comparison with racing wheelset, e.g. Fulcrum or HED, or even Novatec, this R500 is much more weighty.

Bottom Line:
    Overall I am very satisfied with R500. True, it may not be as smooth rolling as a pair of racing wheelset, but it also depends on how you train yourself. I use R500 originally as stock on BH Zaphire, then moved it to BH RC-1. On both frames, this wheelset is good and strong. It forces you to train better. I have run this R500 for more than 500 Km. I will keep you posted after I have ridden more than 3,000 Km.

Favorite Ride:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   Bagus Bike

Similar Products Used:   Stann's wheelset, Novatec.

Bike Setup:   BH RC-1 full carbon monocoque frame, carbon seatpost, Controltech Razor Edge carbon handlebar, and Pro stem. Mix of Ultegra and 105 shimano components.

Submitted by Larry

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2014

Strengths:    These came on my Cannondale Synapse. I weighed 262lbs when I started riding. I have 2000+ miles and have never had a loose spoke or problem with these.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. I feel like I can get a better wheel for climbing as I live in a hilly area. They seem to slow down pretty fast if I quit pedaling for a moment.

Bottom Line:
    Overall a good wheel for beginners cos they have been bombproof even for my weight. Slow to accelerate and climb, so when you get better, lighter, higher quality wheels are probably a good idea.

Submitted by william heidenreich

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    they roll

Weaknesses:    hubs are horrible, lots of maintenance, spokes loose most of time,spokes break

Bottom Line:
    My set have left me a few times stranded where i had to take the wheel off and pull out the broken spoke and ride home very slowly. the last time my co2 broke and i had to wrap the spoke around another spoke and limp home, broke two more on the way i was about 40 miles from home and took well over 4 hours, with the climbs.
    better with the mavic cxp 22 and their no prize. however, the mavic ksyrium are lighter and very nice wheel.
    don't buy the shimano wh-r500 or if they come with the bike, change out immediately!

Submitted by retro

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2013

Strengths:    cheap. low-priced for customers who can't or won't pay for a real wheel set

Weaknesses:    The low price is appropriate for their low-quality. Loose spokes on every ride. Needed truing constantly.

Bottom Line:
    I HATE these wheels. They're a joke. Spoke nipples loosened on nearly every ride, often coming off inside the wheel, requiring a difficult extraction after removing the tire, These wheels are NOT for serious riders. I got so fed-up with them I glued every nipple with Lock-Tite thread-lock (the red stuff). Now I no longer get loose spokes. But the wheels are crap.
    I will never buy a bike with these again. Total Junk. I'm shopping now to replace them with a quality wheelset.