Shimano WH-R500 wheelsets - clincher

3.21/5 (63 Reviews)

• Economical price point.
  • 8, 9 & 10-speed compatible
  • Stainless Steel Spokes
  • Weight: 1884g (pair)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Alex a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2016

Strengths:    -Indestructible. Seriously. I mean, dropping the bike out of a three story building..... They're strong.
    -So, SO maintainable and easy to work with if it does break.
    -I've never had a wheel so easy to straighten in my WHOLE life.
    -They roll insanely well, and I'm no racer.
    -You know that feeling you get on a new bike? Yah know, the feeling that everything is in perfect condition and makes you feel like you could go a million miles an hour? Well, that's how it felt as soon as I got these wheels.

Weaknesses:    I'm not getting any good resale value any time soon, but even then, that doesn't bother me out of the hundreds and hundreds of miles I've gotten out of these.

Bottom Line:
    Where can I start with these wheels?

Well.... I'll list out the riding these have to put up with; Commuting, Charity rides, Training rides, Off-Roading near docks, Skids and wheelies, More wheelies, Trials riding, a few more wheelies, Crashes, Multi-Bike transport in the back of an old van and more Wheelies. Did I happen to mention more wheelies???

-Commuting: I work about two miles from where I work, which isn't much. But what my bike has to go through? I think I should have gotten a soft-tail mountain bike for it, or at least a Cyclo-cross bike, but I put my bike through what others wouldn't dream of doing on a £2,000 mountain bike! Pot holes, rocky terrain, stairs, gritty sand area (this concerns the braking surface) and plenty and plenty of kerbs (which I hop over, but the hops concern the wheels and wheel axles.) Basically, this bike will take everything I've thrown at it to get to my work.

-Charity rides: Ahhh, the charity ride; the routes that some of us don't know, or the roads that you'd never pick yourself. Pitted and bumpy roads that make you want to get a car, and even then, you'd never put your own car down it. The wheel held up so well though.

-Training rides: I think I do training rides for a few hours on most days of the week, usually in the dark. Do you see where I'm getting with 'dark'? I only have a set of consumer bike lights, not those super-bright retina-burning lamps designed to illuminate the floor, just some normal white and red lights, which means I can't see the floor. That can sometimes mean hitting a rather surprizing pothole or deeply-fitted manhole cover. They just don't care what I do to them. If you're a clumsy nut, these are the wheels for you.

-Off-Roading near docks: Mud, grass, thorns, rocks, sand, random 'items' that can only be described as 'wheel landmines', random shopping trolleys, stairs, broken parts of boats, broken parts of cars, glass bottles and large, misfitted concrete block, and you've got everything you need to break down a set of wheels, with many days-worth of time spent in there, at least 100 hours going through those bumps.

-Skids and wheelies: Yes, I admit it. I'm not the only one, though!!! I wheelie at many a junction for about two metres, not much. At all. But on the days I wake up super-early (about 1 every two weeks) I go to the local supermarket carpark and just spend two hours doing wheelies for as long as possible. They handle the whole weight of me and the bike on one wheel really well.

-Trials riding: Yep. Bet you didn't think you'd hear that. Once a month, you'd see me jumping up walls, jumping down walls, going up and down stairs, balancing along metal railings, playing with benches and making a mess of the local council grass. Where do these wheels get their immense strength? I'll never know.

-Crashes: I learnt how to use clipless pedals once. Yeah. I did fall a couple times. I stopped riding them because after I snapped a spoke, I realized it wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong, the spoke snapped in an unusual way, of which I fell over onto a nearby grass verge, and the spokes acted as a pivot because I got too close. Snapped ONE spoke. Just the one. I thought it should have been more, but it was just the one.

-Multi-transport in a van: Bahahhah. Oh, what a tale to tell. No, this one's true. My mate owns a van. A very small Vauxhall Combi. It isn't designed to carry a bicycle. At all. You want to know how we put our bikes in there? Well, we lie 'em on top of each other. The bikes have their pedals in each other's wheels, handlebars wrapping in each other, and my mate takes a couple of spokes with him, just in case his spokes snapped... Which they inadvertently did each and every time. Mine? Nope. They were the R500s!

Overall? They're wheelie good. If I had to have one wheelset for the rest of my life, it'd be these.

Disclaimer; These ARE susceptible to normal problems that any other wheelset are. These are fourth-hand to me, and I need to have the bearings replaced, the freehub body replaced and maybe even one of the wheels. But can I honestly complain? Nope. They're fourth-hand. They were £15 quid off a facebook page. I'm not going to 'upgrade' because anything else would be a downgrade.

Favorite Ride:   45-Mile Trinity Charity ride.

Purchased At:   Some guy on a Facebo

Similar Products Used:   The rather flimsy AlexRims DA22's.

Bike Setup:   Carrera Vanquish Alu-frame, carbon forks. Shimano 5600 105 groupset, Truvative cranks and chainset and Schwalbe Durano tyres (recently changed to the Luganos.

Submitted by Stan

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2015

Strengths:    Strong

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden about 50,000 Kilometers on these wheels with no problems. I keep the hubs greased and maintained. No need to say any more about such a great commuting wheel

Submitted by Rafael a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2015

Strengths:    - Indestructible
    - Cheap
    - Fits perfectly 28mm tires, could fit slight wider ones
    - 20/24 spokes looks nice

Bottom Line:
    I've been riding these wheels for 3,000 km so far and it is like brand new. I have a friend who is using the same pair of wheels, he is a big fella as me and NP so far. I'm 85kg now (I lost some weight) but I was 97kg (I was bulking to gain strenght) when I bought it yet the wheels are still okay. On hard pushes I even broke one BB and had my frame broken (maybe fatigue, I dont know) but wheels are perfect. Way better than the stock wheels on low range road bikes (Allez, Caad 8, S50 etc..).
    Feeling good with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 25mm

Bike Setup:   Caad 8 105

Submitted by SJB

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2015

Strengths:    These wheels came with my now 6 year old Giant Defy. They have performed every-day riding duties well, no issues. About six months ago I started racing, and although not designed for racing, when shod with light-weight race tyres these wheels have performed well for a newby racer. They do flex and lose power under very high power loads, so ideally keep them for training.

Weaknesses:    None when you consider the price point and intended purpose of the wheel.

Bottom Line:
    Reliable, good value for money. They won't impress experienced racers, but for every-day riding and training they do fine.

Submitted by Charlie Keene

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2015

Strengths:    Rock solid and reliable.

Weaknesses:    Weight... But that is relative.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these wheels to replace the original ones on my B'Twin Triban 3. Reviews of the bike said that the wheels should be upgraded and they were right. No point spending a lot on wheels for a bike the cost less than £300 though. These wheels transformed it from a very good bike for the money, to just a very good bike. They roll pretty well, and they improved the braking performance immediately.

I use the bike for commuting and occasional leisure rides. I have ridden these wheels over 4500 miles now, over many a pothole and even off road a few times. Longest single ride about 60miles. I have hurtled down hill at well over 35 and even 40 mph at times and never had cause to doubt them, they haven't gone out of true or lost any spokes. I'm really surprised others have had that happen to theirs. I originally had 23mm Luganos on them, but now have 25mm Gaitor Skins; the wheels are happy with both.

I'm a bit of a lump of lard at 15.5 stone, so a few extra ounces on the wheels isn't going to make a lot of difference to me.