Shimano WH-R500 wheelsets - clincher

3.18/5 (62 Reviews)

• Economical price point.
  • 8, 9 & 10-speed compatible
  • Stainless Steel Spokes
  • Weight: 1884g (pair)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Stan

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2015

Strengths:    Strong

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden about 50,000 Kilometers on these wheels with no problems. I keep the hubs greased and maintained. No need to say any more about such a great commuting wheel

Submitted by Rafael a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2015

Strengths:    - Indestructible
    - Cheap
    - Fits perfectly 28mm tires, could fit slight wider ones
    - 20/24 spokes looks nice

Bottom Line:
    I've been riding these wheels for 3,000 km so far and it is like brand new. I have a friend who is using the same pair of wheels, he is a big fella as me and NP so far. I'm 85kg now (I lost some weight) but I was 97kg (I was bulking to gain strenght) when I bought it yet the wheels are still okay. On hard pushes I even broke one BB and had my frame broken (maybe fatigue, I dont know) but wheels are perfect. Way better than the stock wheels on low range road bikes (Allez, Caad 8, S50 etc..).
    Feeling good with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 25mm

Bike Setup:   Caad 8 105

Submitted by SJB

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2015

Strengths:    These wheels came with my now 6 year old Giant Defy. They have performed every-day riding duties well, no issues. About six months ago I started racing, and although not designed for racing, when shod with light-weight race tyres these wheels have performed well for a newby racer. They do flex and lose power under very high power loads, so ideally keep them for training.

Weaknesses:    None when you consider the price point and intended purpose of the wheel.

Bottom Line:
    Reliable, good value for money. They won't impress experienced racers, but for every-day riding and training they do fine.

Submitted by Charlie Keene

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2015

Strengths:    Rock solid and reliable.

Weaknesses:    Weight... But that is relative.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these wheels to replace the original ones on my B'Twin Triban 3. Reviews of the bike said that the wheels should be upgraded and they were right. No point spending a lot on wheels for a bike the cost less than £300 though. These wheels transformed it from a very good bike for the money, to just a very good bike. They roll pretty well, and they improved the braking performance immediately.

I use the bike for commuting and occasional leisure rides. I have ridden these wheels over 4500 miles now, over many a pothole and even off road a few times. Longest single ride about 60miles. I have hurtled down hill at well over 35 and even 40 mph at times and never had cause to doubt them, they haven't gone out of true or lost any spokes. I'm really surprised others have had that happen to theirs. I originally had 23mm Luganos on them, but now have 25mm Gaitor Skins; the wheels are happy with both.

I'm a bit of a lump of lard at 15.5 stone, so a few extra ounces on the wheels isn't going to make a lot of difference to me.

Submitted by Acid Mustafa a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2014

Strengths:    Robust. Strong. Nice looking straight pull.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy.

Bottom Line:
    Bought as standard wheels on my Giant crx2 6 years ago. Had done 4000 kilometers including touring with rear panniers. They were good, had not break a spoke till now. The wheels are still true, I had never send it for truing since bought. The hubs have been serviced twice by bike shop mechanics and each time only clean and greasing thats all were needed. I weigh 60kg.

Favorite Ride:   Road tours.

Bike Setup:   9 speed Shimano sora hybrid bike. Tyres are 700x28c. Bike has rear rack for touring luggage.