Shimano WH-R500 wheelsets - clincher

3.12/5 (58 Reviews)

• Economical price point.
  • 8, 9 & 10-speed compatible
  • Stainless Steel Spokes
  • Weight: 1884g (pair)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Acid Mustafa a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2014

Strengths:    Robust. Strong. Nice looking straight pull.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy.

Bottom Line:
    Bought as standard wheels on my Giant crx2 6 years ago. Had done 4000 kilometers including touring with rear panniers. They were good, had not break a spoke till now. The wheels are still true, I had never send it for truing since bought. The hubs have been serviced twice by bike shop mechanics and each time only clean and greasing thats all were needed. I weigh 60kg.

Favorite Ride:   Road tours.

Bike Setup:   9 speed Shimano sora hybrid bike. Tyres are 700x28c. Bike has rear rack for touring luggage.

Submitted by Ian Protheroe

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2014

Strengths:    Mine were supplied with my 2011 Pinarello FP2. My bike is serviced at least twice a year. These wheels have been good for in the region of 8,000 miles. Not a single spoke has broken. I weight about 70KG. I recently used them on the Deloitte Ride across Britain (931 miles) without any problems. Trust me the roads in the UK are not great! You'd have to spend a fair bit of money to take off any serious weight. The rear wheel now needs replacing which I'd say is good service by any measure. The front wheel will be 'retired' to lighter duties on my commuter bike shortly.

Bottom Line:
    If you want a pair of cheap do it all wheels for the whole year then these will be fine if you are a fairly light rider like me. Shimano might not be the sexiest but they know what they are doing.

Submitted by Jarhead

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2014

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Flimsy

Bottom Line:
    I weigh about 190 and I've had these wheels for less than a year and I've replaced 3 spokes.I can feel them flex and egg as I power up a hill. Total crap.

Submitted by Utomo a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2014

Strengths:    This wheelset came as stock when I bought BH Zaphire. Used the Zaphire for more than 500 Km through all kinds of road, including many stretches of road that have many potholes and bricks, this R500 is still true and keep asking for more. Yes, the wheelset is not a light one, this one weighs for more than 1.8 Kg and plus the Vittoria Zafira tires, it will be more than 2.1 Kg, BUT. R500 still ran true and very smooth. The spokes are also still good and tight. After each ride I washed the bike including the wheel very clean, and during the cleaning I made sure the spoke is tight. No need for Wheel Truing yet.

Weaknesses:    Weight. In comparison with racing wheelset, e.g. Fulcrum or HED, or even Novatec, this R500 is much more weighty.

Bottom Line:
    Overall I am very satisfied with R500. True, it may not be as smooth rolling as a pair of racing wheelset, but it also depends on how you train yourself. I use R500 originally as stock on BH Zaphire, then moved it to BH RC-1. On both frames, this wheelset is good and strong. It forces you to train better. I have run this R500 for more than 500 Km. I will keep you posted after I have ridden more than 3,000 Km.

Favorite Ride:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   Bagus Bike

Similar Products Used:   Stann's wheelset, Novatec.

Bike Setup:   BH RC-1 full carbon monocoque frame, carbon seatpost, Controltech Razor Edge carbon handlebar, and Pro stem. Mix of Ultegra and 105 shimano components.

Submitted by Larry

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2014

Strengths:    These came on my Cannondale Synapse. I weighed 262lbs when I started riding. I have 2000+ miles and have never had a loose spoke or problem with these.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. I feel like I can get a better wheel for climbing as I live in a hilly area. They seem to slow down pretty fast if I quit pedaling for a moment.

Bottom Line:
    Overall a good wheel for beginners cos they have been bombproof even for my weight. Slow to accelerate and climb, so when you get better, lighter, higher quality wheels are probably a good idea.