Shimano WH-R500 wheelsets - clincher

3.11/5 (57 Reviews)

• Economical price point.
  • 8, 9 & 10-speed compatible
  • Stainless Steel Spokes
  • Weight: 1884g (pair)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ian Protheroe

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2014

Strengths:    Mine were supplied with my 2011 Pinarello FP2. My bike is serviced at least twice a year. These wheels have been good for in the region of 8,000 miles. Not a single spoke has broken. I weight about 70KG. I recently used them on the Deloitte Ride across Britain (931 miles) without any problems. Trust me the roads in the UK are not great! You'd have to spend a fair bit of money to take off any serious weight. The rear wheel now needs replacing which I'd say is good service by any measure. The front wheel will be 'retired' to lighter duties on my commuter bike shortly.

Bottom Line:
    If you want a pair of cheap do it all wheels for the whole year then these will be fine if you are a fairly light rider like me. Shimano might not be the sexiest but they know what they are doing.

Submitted by Jarhead

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2014

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Flimsy

Bottom Line:
    I weigh about 190 and I've had these wheels for less than a year and I've replaced 3 spokes.I can feel them flex and egg as I power up a hill. Total crap.

Submitted by Utomo a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2014

Strengths:    This wheelset came as stock when I bought BH Zaphire. Used the Zaphire for more than 500 Km through all kinds of road, including many stretches of road that have many potholes and bricks, this R500 is still true and keep asking for more. Yes, the wheelset is not a light one, this one weighs for more than 1.8 Kg and plus the Vittoria Zafira tires, it will be more than 2.1 Kg, BUT. R500 still ran true and very smooth. The spokes are also still good and tight. After each ride I washed the bike including the wheel very clean, and during the cleaning I made sure the spoke is tight. No need for Wheel Truing yet.

Weaknesses:    Weight. In comparison with racing wheelset, e.g. Fulcrum or HED, or even Novatec, this R500 is much more weighty.

Bottom Line:
    Overall I am very satisfied with R500. True, it may not be as smooth rolling as a pair of racing wheelset, but it also depends on how you train yourself. I use R500 originally as stock on BH Zaphire, then moved it to BH RC-1. On both frames, this wheelset is good and strong. It forces you to train better. I have run this R500 for more than 500 Km. I will keep you posted after I have ridden more than 3,000 Km.

Favorite Ride:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   Bagus Bike

Similar Products Used:   Stann's wheelset, Novatec.

Bike Setup:   BH RC-1 full carbon monocoque frame, carbon seatpost, Controltech Razor Edge carbon handlebar, and Pro stem. Mix of Ultegra and 105 shimano components.

Submitted by Larry

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2014

Strengths:    These came on my Cannondale Synapse. I weighed 262lbs when I started riding. I have 2000+ miles and have never had a loose spoke or problem with these.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. I feel like I can get a better wheel for climbing as I live in a hilly area. They seem to slow down pretty fast if I quit pedaling for a moment.

Bottom Line:
    Overall a good wheel for beginners cos they have been bombproof even for my weight. Slow to accelerate and climb, so when you get better, lighter, higher quality wheels are probably a good idea.

Submitted by william heidenreich

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    they roll

Weaknesses:    hubs are horrible, lots of maintenance, spokes loose most of time,spokes break

Bottom Line:
    My set have left me a few times stranded where i had to take the wheel off and pull out the broken spoke and ride home very slowly. the last time my co2 broke and i had to wrap the spoke around another spoke and limp home, broke two more on the way i was about 40 miles from home and took well over 4 hours, with the climbs.
    better with the mavic cxp 22 and their no prize. however, the mavic ksyrium are lighter and very nice wheel.
    don't buy the shimano wh-r500 or if they come with the bike, change out immediately!