Shimano WH-R560 wheelsets - clincher

• 16 bladed spokes front, 20 rear

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by GazMan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2012

Strengths:    Discernible performance improvement over previous WH500 and Ambrosio WS23's. Run with Conti GP4000s tires and the combo is excellent. I'm 6'1" and 220lb and these handle my weight and riding no problem. Definitely faster acceleration, climbing I've moved back to a 11-26t from a 11-28t and I'm still okay, descents are much quicker. My riding buddies are now thinking of go-faster bits to haul in my new performance edge. Old school cup 'n cone bearings are easy to adjust and get just right for easy rolling. I'm impressed with these Shimano's.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    These are good for sure, I can't imagine what the Dura-ace's must be like. Would I buy them again - you bet.
    Would I recommend them...that's what I'm doing right here.

Bike Setup:   Giant 2006 OCR2, full '105' upgrade (5700 series) 18 speed with Mega-Exo cranks and BB. Easton carbon seat post, Bontrager Race seat and Ritchey carbon head stem, 105 Flightdeck shifters.

Submitted by Fit4Life a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable
    Durable
    Performance

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side for 16/20 spoke wheels.

Bottom Line:
    I have found these wheels offer a great deal of performance for the price. With over 5000 miles on them, they needed only slight truing at the end of last season. The rims are 20.8 mm wide, most others are 19. This decreases rolling resistance and enhances cornering since the tire does not flop over. These wheels are faster than others I have that are 30mm tall and weight 1600 gm and twice the cost.

Favorite Ride:   Variety

Purchased At:   Out of Business

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Parts hanger for Ultegra grupo

Submitted by tanyanmatt@hotmail.com a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2008

Strengths:    Strength!

Weaknesses:    Maybe weight?

Bottom Line:
    I have used these tires for about 12 months, they came with the bike, and man are they are tough! I've had a couple of minor get offs including hitting a slotted drain cover at about 40kph. I bounced about a foot into the air and left a heap of skin and flesh on the road but the wheels were fine. They needed very minor panel beating and adjustment of a couple of spokes and good as new. I am happy with the performance and responsiveness but to be honest have never ridden much on other wheels, so maybe I just dont know what I am missing?

Favorite Ride:   Colnago Arte

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Colnago Arte with full Ultegra

Submitted by saintsfan342000 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2008

Strengths:    -Durability
    -Spoke nipples are on the hub, which ever so slightly reduces the moment of inertia. A neat trick of engineering, but whether or not it makes a non-trivial difference I do not know.
    -Stainless steel spokes (only way to go!)
    -Nicely machined breaking surface

Bottom Line:
    I have been thoroughly impressed with these wheels. Before I bought my bike a year ago I read many reviews on this site of the wheels that are common on bikes in the $1-1.5k price range, and many of those reviews were negative, so I did not know what to expect. These have been excellent however.

Best part: Durability! I've hit some mondo potholes...seriously. The roads in Austin, TX are lousy, yet these wheels have held up remarkably.

I suffered the unfortunate experience once of having my frame pump fall out of its place on the downtube and go through the spokes of my front wheel and hit the fork. One spoke is now very slightly bent, and I do notice a minute wobble in the wheel now indicating that it has gone out of true, but that was three months ago and I still have yet to get it fixed because my retailer is 3 hours away and there is no immediate need for repair.

I can't compare this to other wheelsets, so I have no idea how they serve as racing wheels, nor do I know whether these are considered "stiff wheels", but they are as good a stock wheel as I could have asked for.

I am mostly a rec rider but I've recently started doing some CAT5 crits. I don't win, but that surely has nothing to do with these wheels, but rather the bike's engine's lack of speed and stamina.

Similar Products Used:   None...being that this C'dale is my first road bike and I am still running these stock wheels, I have nothing to compare it to...so take my vote of 5 as simply a statement of my satisfaction and a complete lack of issues with these wheels.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2007 Cannondale CAAD9 Optimo 3, which means:
    CAAD9 frame with FULL 105 setup, and WH-561 wheels.

Submitted by Petervermeer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap, good quality

Weaknesses:    weakness in corners

Bottom Line:
    Bought this as a trainingswheel. The wheel is perfect for this goal. For more professional racing the wheel is to weak.

Favorite Ride:   Rund um den Henninger Tour