Shimano WH-R600 wheelsets - clincher

• Aluminum Freehub Body

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Nelson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2013

Strengths:    durable, stable.

Weaknesses:    kinda heavy

Bottom Line:
    the wheels came with my specialized allez. i got no problem despite putting more than 1,000 miles on them.it is smooth and silent.

Purchased At:   bike barn

Similar Products Used:   i used to have an araya

Submitted by bogibear a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2011

Strengths:    Remained completely true and have been pretty much bulletproof. No broken spokes (I weigh about 200lbs).

Weaknesses:    Prone to cracking, a friend of mine had a similar set and hers cracked as well.

Bottom Line:
    Wheelset came with my 2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert. The seem to roll well and have decent durability. I have about 8500 miles on the set before being forced to replace them due to cracks on the rear rim. They have kept complete true over their lifetime. I had to replace the cones on the rear wheel after about the first 500 miles. I If I got a set for free, I wouldn't turn them down but wouldn't spend a lot on a new set. Replaced them with a set of Ksyrium Elites.

Favorite Ride:   Llama loop

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Dura Ace/Ultegra/FSA

Submitted by scott a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    shiny, quiet, aero, comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    stickers come off, seem to be flexy, spokes rub after hard braking (twangy noises). relatively heavy but who cares?

Bottom Line:
    I bought these wheels to replace my mavic kysrium equipes on my tarmac expert. They don't inspire me, but they have never gone out of true. the bearings on the kysrium's went after 2 months in some occasional wet weather, wtf? These have been hassle free, but are heavy. I like the way they look. very quiet and seem to provide a very comfortable ride. I've taken them to ride the tour de france twice (select sections in the alps and pyrenees). I weigh 190 and ride a lot. THey did rub the brakes cornering at 80 km/h down alp d'huez. I wonder if my new mavic elite's will do better this year?
    Boring ride, smooth bearings, shiny and look nice, I'm probably wasting some energy with them...

Favorite Ride:   hautecam

Purchased At:   bike nashbar

Similar Products Used:   alex 200 rims, easton slx, mavic kysrium equipe, zero.

Bike Setup:   specialized tarmac elite, ultegra, hutchinson intensives, grip tape

Submitted by Mark Rishniw a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2009

Strengths:    Solid rims - stay true.
    Relatively cheap.

Weaknesses:    Flexy under load (climmbing).

Bottom Line:
    Wheelset came on the Orbea Opal 2006 Tour of Cali model. The wheels are adequate, but the biggest thing I noticed (and I'm about 175 lb) is lateral flex on climbs under power - the rims consistently touched the brake pads. They weren't terribly "responsive" - maybe because of the deeper rims putting more rolling mass on the outside of the wheel.
    On the plus side, I have never had a spoke break on them, never had to true them, and the bearings seem pretty smooth.

I just upgraded to new (2009) Ksyrium SLs and have noticed the difference in stiffness.

Purchased At:   Swan Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium SL
    Mavic Heliums (90s model)

Bike Setup:   Orbea Opal.

Submitted by climberoleg a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    Front wheel is excellent no problems ever and I use it on both my road bike and fixie. It has lots of miles. Nice bearings, quiet.

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel design flaw with spokes. Weight. Reliability. Shimano.

Bottom Line:
    Where can I begin. I initially bought these wheels with the intention of getting better ones in the future and using these for training etc. However, I don't know if they are cursed, but my American Classic rear wheel has seen a lot more road time and that was supposed to sit there and look pretty for the big days. I have had 4 broken spokes on this thing and they are a really hassle to replace. Each time I have to get the spokes ordered and the wheel re-trued. I do not recommend purchasing these or the ultegra wheelset. The ultegra wheelset is the same it's just not OEM like these are. I am giving this wheelset at 2 because the front wheel makes up for the rear.

Favorite Ride:   Scenic Loop