Shimano WH-RS30 wheelsets - clincher

Shimano WH-RS30 Road Wheelset is a mid-level wheelset ideal fro training sessions. Double Butted Stainless Steel Aero Spokes provide extra strength for the long haul. Red colored Aluminum spoke nipples. Clincher Alloy rims.

Submitted by Tiger

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2013

Strengths:    Strong rims, Straight pull spokes, quality made

Weaknesses:    Not sure if the is a weakness, But I would like the wheels even stronger. I weigh 225 and need a heavy duty wheelset.

Bottom Line:
After reading all the bad reviews about straight pull wheels sets, I made the upgrade anyway. The wheelset that came stock on my bike just wasnt making it. I would constantly have to true them and then started breaking spokes regularly, how disappointing to be out riding and Boinggg, broke spoke. I was looking at 36 spoke wheels and straight pull spoke wheels. I liked the concept of the straight pulls since I was breaking at the spokes at the J. There are plenty of reviews that claim straight pull spokes are a gimmick. I have to disagree. It is a stronger spoke that does away with the weak J part. It looks easier to service a spoke too. If the spoke pulls straight out of the hub, there is no reason to remove the cassette as with J spokes. The strength of this wheel set is in the rim. Shimano Made the rims wider, thicker and stronger than most rims out there. Heck, the rear wheel only has 20 spokes, so the rim has to be strong. I have to admit, i was a skeptic but that is changing pretty quick. My first ride was about a 20 mile loop, on the ride I intentionally hit some small pot holes, ran over some cobblestone and eased off a curb. Not much happened in the truing department. I so a very slight wave and gave the rim a light bop with my palm to get it pretty straight. That was all that was required. I couldnt do that with my old wheels. The next ride was 20 miles in town, where I hit a couple rocks about 1/2 inch that I dint see, some pot holes and you normal road irregularities. Same thing, slight wave and a Bop to fix, that was it. I can live with that. I know It was only 2 rides but the way I road would have caused big issues with my old wheeset. I had a 36 spoke tandem set built in the past that would have needed a slight adjustment after these rides. I wouldnt call a light Bop with my palm an adjustment. Shimano is on to something, making the rims alot stronger and not depending as much on the spokes for strength. I like the straight pull design and am hoping that they will make an even stronger version. The wheels give me the confidence to hit some road junk and not worry too much. I will update later when I have more miles on them

Submitted by Fullcollapse a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    • Visually stunning
• Great hubs
• Low spoke count
• Awesome price

Weaknesses:    • It'd be sweet if they were a tad lighter, but they're about .5lbs lighter than my old wheelset, so I won't complain

Bottom Line:
For starters, I know a lot of you are curious about rider size/weight when reading reviews... I'm 5'10" and weight 152lbs.

I've been slowly upgrading all the components on a steel Jamis Satellite over this past year and the most recent thing on my agenda was the wheelset... the dumpy stock Alex wheels needed to go.

After toying with the idea of having my buddies at the shop build me a custom set I realized that it just wasn't in my price range... so the search for a mid-range and affordable set began. Fulcrum Racing5 was in the running, but they were too ugly. Neuvations looked great on paper, but spending under $200 for a wheelset seemed too good to be true. Then came the 2011 Shimano WH-RS30A's... great price, great visual appeal, great hubs, bladed spokes, aero profile... I was sold.

I'm not going to lie to you and say the specs are the only reason my ride performance has improved, because I think a good deal of my progress has to do with the renewed love of my bike after getting an upgrade. Either way, I've cut down the time it takes for me to do a 40mile ride by close to 30min as well as increased my average speed from 17mph to 19.5mph. We'll see how they perform come spring when I can get back to doing 100+ miles per week.

Favorite Ride:   Route 133 Ipswich, MA