Spinergy Stealth FCC wheelsets - clincher

4.87/5 (15 Reviews)

Spinergy Stealth FCC Road Wheels: Rim: Full carbon wheels with a style all their own. Lightweight and fast, these wheels will get the job done. Ideal for stage races, criteriums, triathlons and climbing.

Submitted by Dave A a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2014

Strengths:    Durable, spins well, excellent on rough roads, Looks, Spinergy
service reputation is only beaten by reality.

Weaknesses:    Light for the depth of the rim but heavy in comparison to other wheelsets - not an issue for me. Changing tires can be more difficult than other wheelsets.

Bottom Line:
Several times over the past couple of years I have had questions and Spinergy always responds quickly and with the information I need. I bought my first set in 2010 and have put about 10,000 miles on the set. As someone else mentioned Joe @ Spinergy is the best in customer service. Of all my wheelsets (two sets of Bontrager Race X Lites, Rolf Vigor, and Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, I have the most confidence in my Spinergy's. They are as light or lighter than all of the wheelsets except for the Rolfs and roll very well while riding smoother than any other. In the wind the profile allows them to get pushed around some but it isn't that bad. It you have to change a tire expect it to be more difficult than a regular wheelset since the rims seem to be a little bit large but they are thick giving me that bomb proof feeling which is more important that a quick tire change for me.

Favorite Ride:   Climb to Kaiser (155 miles, 15,000 feet)

Purchased At:   Sierra Bicycle Werks

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Vigor (about 5,000 miles use), Bontrager Race X Lite (combined about 15,000 miles use), Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL (about 5,000 miles use)

Bike Setup:   2010 Madone 5.2; Dura Ace 7900 group (standard); RItchey WCS Stem and Ritchey WCS Logic Carbon Curve Handlebars, Shimano 7900 Pedals, Continental GP 4000s tires. In addition: 2006 Madone 5.2, Ultegra 6700 group (compact), Ritchey WCS stem, FSA SL-K Carbon Handlebars, Shimano 7900 pedals, Continental GP 4000s tires; 2010 Cannondale CAAD10, Ultegra 6700/105 5700 mixed group (compact), Bontrager Race X Lite stem and Handlebars, Shimano 7800 pedals, Continental GP 4000s tires; 1986 Schwinn Premis, Ultegra 6600/Dura Ace mixed group, RItchey WCS stem RItchey WCS Logic Handlebars, Shimano 7800 pedals, Continental GP 4000s tires.

Submitted by Bart a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2014

Strengths:    Ride quality, and comfort. Great service after the sale. I can't stress the service part more!!! Joe @ Spinergy service is great!!!

Weaknesses:    Not as light, or aero as some offerings. On race day, I still prefer my Zipp 404 tubies, but for a great everyday wheel these cannot be beat.

Bottom Line:
I've had these wheels for 4 years now. I replaced the bearings with Phil Wood bearings last year, and then they were damaged in a crash while my friend was riding them. Joe at Spinergy took great care of me, and I am glad to have my favorite wheels back in action. The ride of the PBO spokes is amazing. They are comfortable, but still stiff, and fast. They are my go to wheels to train on in good conditions. I use different wheels for bad weather training, just to keep these wheels as nice as possible. These are my favorite wheels ever. Again my Zipps are faster, lighter, and stiffer, but the ride of these are fantastic, and I personally feel Spinergy is a very underrated product, and more people should try them out. The service, and communication Joe in service provides is second to none. That alone is a strong selling point to me. It helps that the wheels are amazing though!

Favorite Ride:   Anything hilly

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404's, custom built DT415/White Industries, Fulcrum, Roval, Mavic, Rolf, and so on....

Bike Setup:   2011 Specialized Shiv
2011 Cervelo S2
2014 Specialized Allez

They have all rolled these wheels at one time or another, and they ride great on all of them!

Submitted by Deekay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    Lateral stiffness, wide 22.6 rim, exceptional comfort, attractive 12k carbon weave, good braking, great value. Assembled in North America (Mexico) vs. Asia for other brands. French Corima rims.

Weaknesses:    43mm rim depth isn't the most aero set-up. Weight is simply ok for the depth. The supplied quick releases are heavy.

Bottom Line:
Just bought new. Front 675g, rear 840g (Total 1,515g - with no tape or skewers). Supplied rim tape (for both) was 35g.

Braking is better with the new Spinergys vs. used Williams. Very, very comfortable ride. Overall rating is only a 4 and not a 5 simply because there are better products out there (i.e. ZIPP 303 Firecrest clincher).

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic aluminum clinchers, 2011 Williams System 38/58 carbon clinchers

Bike Setup:   2011 Specialized Tarmac Elite with upgrades. 17.66 lbs with Spinergy wheels

Submitted by James Hamm a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Strengths:    Ride quality, excellent feedback, not too soft or stiff, very solid feel. Good looks and matching colors spoke options

Weaknesses:    Heavier than advertised (I don't care)
Non aero spokes (I'm 42 and not racing anymore...again I don't care)

Bottom Line:
These wheels rock. After two years on Stealth PBOs, I switched to the Stealth FCC. The ride quality and the overall fit and finish is excellent. I know their hubs are not on par with Dura Ace or Mavics best but I'll stay on these every day. I have a set of Dura Ace tubeless and a set of Mavic R-Sys that sit on the shelf while these wheels get ridden day after day after day. I was having problems with my back from vibration and jarring on previous wheelsets (other than the Stealth PBO) but these made all that go away.

Purchased At:   Direct from Spinergy

Similar Products Used:   I own: Reynolds Attacks, Dura Ace tubelss, Mavic Krysium SLs and R-Sys Premious. All excellent wheels but I still prefer the FCCs.

Bike Setup:   2008 Serotta Coeur D' Acier, Full Dura Ace and Ritchey WCS carbon in the cockpit.

Submitted by ericstevens73 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2010

Strengths:    1. Comfortable
2. Very Strong - I'm a 200 pound rider
3. Stiff - Laterally and very responsive
4. Aero - 43mm profile
5. Comfortable!!! PBO Spokes eat up almost all road vibration!
6. Predictable - because they are stiff and give good feedback

Weaknesses:    They can be difficult to get tires on and off of. If trying to change tires in a super hury - well you may be out of luck!

Bottom Line:
I've riden thousands of miles on these wheels. I've gone through 7 bikes and have always stuck with my Spinergy Wheels. They are stiff, but not so stiff they come unstuck. They are supple, but not so supple you don't get road feedback re:slippage, etc. You could CX on these wheels if you wanted. They are strong, relatively light, and superior-ly comfortable! You can choose color variations to match your ride! Good looks, great performance, why wouldn't you buy these?

One problem I had with my rear wheel (bead split along the bead cap as a result of an issue with manufacturing, not a catastrophic incident and I road on it like that for weeks - the bead is 1/4" thick!) was corrected by Spinergy without cost to me outside the standard 1 year warranty policy. I feel they have superior customer service as a result. Communication and service was just amazing.

Overall experiance with Spinergy is A+!

Favorite Ride:   Kaiser