Spinergy Stealth PBO wheelsets - clincher

4.56/5 (61 Reviews)

Spinergy Stealth PBO Road Wheels: Ideal for crits, short course triathlons and everyday riding. 43mm super light 3K carbon clincher rim with aluminum brake surface. 16 front, 20 rear double butted stainless steel spokes, radial 2-cross lacing black or white available

Submitted by igosolo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2016

Strengths:    Bombproof
Look great
There is an 11 speed conversion hub available
Wheels soak up the road chatter with the PBO spokes
Priced right
Great customer service

Weaknesses:    Not super light, but neither am I.
Need to keep an eye on the rear hub and service as required, can creak some if it gets loose.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'6 and 225-230 lbs so not gentle on bike parts. I got a set of these wheels with a used bike I purchased and the previous owner was my size. His take was that these were the best wheels he had ever ridden and bomb proof. I was skeptical coming from several cracked and out of true other brand rims. Well I am glad that he was right. These are the best wheels I have ever ridden and have never required truing after 1000's of miles. Bought a 2nd set brand new a few years back and they have performed just as well. I bunny hop imperfections in the road all the time and even curbs if I need to and have no worries about these wheels.

Are they the lightest wheels, no, but at my size durability is crucial but I also like a good looking wheel with some aero advantage so this is a winner for me.

I have worked with Spinergy Customer Service a couple times over the years to get rear hub parts and advice on the rebuild and it has been great.

After 17,000 combined miles on my 2 wheel sets with never needing a true, I am a believer and they both have 1000's more miles left in them.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Marco Iven a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2015

Strengths:    Super comfortable, smooth spinning, extremely durable, great looking

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest wheelset

Bottom Line:
I have owned this set for 6 years and have put 6000+ miles on them including many many bunch sprints and I am a Clydesdale. These wheels have stayed totally true, I have never broken a spoke or nipple and I cannot believe how comfortable they are. After so many miles my cassette body needed to be replaced. I live close enough to Carlsbad that I took the wheel to Spinergy and Joe in service did the repair on the spot and gave a me a tour of the facility. This is an awesome company and they deliver exceptional service, I will only ride Spinergy!

Favorite Ride:   Montrose

Purchased At:   InCycle Pasadena

Similar Products Used:   Topolino, Mavic

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super SIx, Sram Force

Submitted by Adam

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2015

Strengths:    Stiff, nimble

Bottom Line:
I rode these wheels for a couple of years until being hit by a car, crushing the back wheel. Never had to have them trued. I love them so much, I didn't even look at another set/brand. I do lots of riding in the foothills of North Carolina, averaging 17 mph. and simply love how easy they are to push uphill. They make for fast and stiff downhills too, keeping the bike steady. Still, comfortable on some rougher surfaces too. Despite how nimble the bike feels, the ride is quite smooth.

Submitted by Tallguy

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2014

Strengths:    Bombproof, look great, ride great, affordable

Weaknesses:    Heavier than a lot of other choices, rear hub requires regular maintenance

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best wheels I have ever owned. I am 6'6", 230 lbs and literally break Mavics, but the Spinergy Stealth PBOs have held up and stayed true for thousands of miles. I have 2 sets, one on my main bike with at least 15,000 miles and one on my backup bike with 6,000 miles and the only thing I ever need to do is service the rear hub to prevent creaking, but it is well worth the effort and an easy task. The PBO spokes also provide some dampening of the road vibration which has kept me comfortable on a stiff frame.

Yes the wheels are heavier than a lot of others, but so am I. Dollar for dollar, ounce for ounce I think these are extremely affordable and a great choice for an everyday wheelset.

Now I am just waiting for a disc version for my cross bike to come out....

Submitted by Ben Sampson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2014

Strengths:    Spins up to speed very quickly, gives my Roubaix an even smoother ride, Price, they handle the wind very well

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy, Does not come with ceramic bearings, can't upgrade to better hubs

Bottom Line:
The wheel absorbs a great deal of road buzz, my hands feels less fatigued after long rides. They spin up and hold speed well I can't compare them to any other carbon wheel, my other sets of wheels are alloy and are a lot lighter. But they don't give a better road feel as the Spinergy wheel set.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix- 3T Ergosum LTD bars, 3T RRX Pro stem, SWorks Pave post, Sram Red brakes, Specialized Toupe RBX Expert saddle, Specialized SWorks Turbo Pro tires Spinergy Stealth PBO wheels

Contests