Spinergy Stealth PBO wheelsets - clincher

4.57/5 (63 Reviews)

Spinergy Stealth PBO Road Wheels: Ideal for crits, short course triathlons and everyday riding. 43mm super light 3K carbon clincher rim with aluminum brake surface. 16 front, 20 rear double butted stainless steel spokes, radial 2-cross lacing black or white available

Submitted by Todd

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2016

Strengths:    Price
Performance
Durability
Looks

Weaknesses:    I have yet to find any draw backs to these wheels.

Bottom Line:
I have several sets of Spinergy PBO wheels as well as Rev X wheels. Rev X sets were all purchased used for various prices. Love the looks of them as well as the function. I've had no issues with form or function. On top of great performance they still look bad ass. I have several sets of the Stealth PBO wheels and I believe you can't buy a better wheel at this value point. They perform as well as wheels at twice the cost. The smooth performance is also unrivaled. I am extremely hard on my bikes and wheels (road and TT bikes) and I have not had any wheels out of true or have any other issues. I've put them all through the ringer in hopes of finding what their limits are and I have yet to find it. I never hesitate to but used sets that I find for a good value. I have also pulled many of my friends into the Spinergy cult following. Use them, you'll absolut love them.

Submitted by Mark Drake

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2016

Strengths:    Strong, durable, stay true, comfortable ride, great looks

Weaknesses:    My buddies want to steal them

Bottom Line:
I ride a FORCE RX Handcycle and my wheels of choice are Spinergy POB/carbon alloy clincher wheels mounted with Tufo tubular clincher tires. This combination gives me the best possible ride on a handcycle. I have been building wheels since the mid seventies professionally in my bike shops and have never seen a more reliable wheel than Spinergy's POB built wheels. I mentioned the Tufo tire because, mated with Spinergys wheels there isn't a more comfortable combination on a handcycle. I would assume a bicycle would be the same, because I an no longer ride a bike to compare the ride. I also have a Freedom Ryder LC1 which I ride occasionally with stainless spokes and Tufo tires but hands down. Spinergy is the best ride!

Submitted by igosolo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2016

Strengths:    Bombproof
Look great
There is an 11 speed conversion hub available
Wheels soak up the road chatter with the PBO spokes
Priced right
Great customer service

Weaknesses:    Not super light, but neither am I.
Need to keep an eye on the rear hub and service as required, can creak some if it gets loose.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'6 and 225-230 lbs so not gentle on bike parts. I got a set of these wheels with a used bike I purchased and the previous owner was my size. His take was that these were the best wheels he had ever ridden and bomb proof. I was skeptical coming from several cracked and out of true other brand rims. Well I am glad that he was right. These are the best wheels I have ever ridden and have never required truing after 1000's of miles. Bought a 2nd set brand new a few years back and they have performed just as well. I bunny hop imperfections in the road all the time and even curbs if I need to and have no worries about these wheels.

Are they the lightest wheels, no, but at my size durability is crucial but I also like a good looking wheel with some aero advantage so this is a winner for me.

I have worked with Spinergy Customer Service a couple times over the years to get rear hub parts and advice on the rebuild and it has been great.

After 17,000 combined miles on my 2 wheel sets with never needing a true, I am a believer and they both have 1000's more miles left in them.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Marco Iven a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2015

Strengths:    Super comfortable, smooth spinning, extremely durable, great looking

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest wheelset

Bottom Line:
I have owned this set for 6 years and have put 6000+ miles on them including many many bunch sprints and I am a Clydesdale. These wheels have stayed totally true, I have never broken a spoke or nipple and I cannot believe how comfortable they are. After so many miles my cassette body needed to be replaced. I live close enough to Carlsbad that I took the wheel to Spinergy and Joe in service did the repair on the spot and gave a me a tour of the facility. This is an awesome company and they deliver exceptional service, I will only ride Spinergy!

Favorite Ride:   Montrose

Purchased At:   InCycle Pasadena

Similar Products Used:   Topolino, Mavic

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super SIx, Sram Force

Submitted by Adam

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2015

Strengths:    Stiff, nimble

Bottom Line:
I rode these wheels for a couple of years until being hit by a car, crushing the back wheel. Never had to have them trued. I love them so much, I didn't even look at another set/brand. I do lots of riding in the foothills of North Carolina, averaging 17 mph. and simply love how easy they are to push uphill. They make for fast and stiff downhills too, keeping the bike steady. Still, comfortable on some rougher surfaces too. Despite how nimble the bike feels, the ride is quite smooth.