SRAM S27 AL Comp wheelsets - clincher

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

SRAM S27AL Comp Road Wheelset. Take the high end designed hubs from the S30 line and combine them with a strong traditional shaped rim, and you?ll obtain the ideal training wheel. SRAM redefines the entry level wheel with the S27 Comp.

Submitted by Jay Miller a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Nice look, nice aero

Weaknesses:    Mechanically unsound

Bottom Line:
These wheels have two related problems. The first problem was noticable right out of the gate: hub adjustment yielded either a too-loose hub (wobbly by hand with a tightened quick-release) or a too-tight hub (slack in the chain while free-wheeling). No middle ground, and two LBSs were unable to do any better.

I should have just returned the wheels, but they were still rideable. Roughly a year later at 150-200m/week, the hub tightened up on me even more, to the point where I literally couldn't freewheel without the chain bunching up and hitting the spokes. It turns out the rubber o-ring in the hub assembly had degraded to the point where it no longer held its adjustment, so it tightened all the way up quickly while riding it. I fixed that problem with a new o-ring exactly two months ago, but today the same thing happened again.

Instead of getting another o-ring, this time I'm looking for new wheels.

I'm not sure if links work in these reviews, but you can find a detailed write-up of my latter problem here: http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/10073 .

Submitted by Dogpilot a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to adjust, SRAM actually has a manual online. Cool graphics, not stickers. Tough. Great for training

Weaknesses:    Well, they could be $50-100 cheaper

Bottom Line:
When I bought my Colnago, to keep the price down it came with Mavic Aksiums. I really didn't like them, they always felt draggy. So based on some checking around, I decided to try these. I scored a deal on eBay. I was really pleased. They look better, roll smoother and are easy to adjust. The smoother rolling makes for a slight increase in my cruise speed. They hold their true on the mountain roads up here. I have decided to spring for a second set for my cycloross bike.

Favorite Ride:   Colnago CX-1 EVO

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Aksium, Mavic Open Pro/Dura Ace

Bike Setup:   Colnago CX-1 EVO with full SRAM Red, Vittorio EVO Slick 320

Submitted by René Houde a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    Stifness
Smooth ride
Feel of better aero

Weaknesses:    Hmm... Always too expensive?

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike used for 1k and I used it for 2 summers, 3000 km. I didn’t have any experience before with a bike of that quality. It is hard for me to have references to comment those wheels.
I tried a Marin bike, a Mirinoni and a DeVinci, all aluminum frames with carbon forks (mine has zertz). I live in the province of Quebec, Saguenay, and the roads are often in a bad condition. From those little experiences, I can easily say that the Roubaix is the most comfortable and easy riding that I tried.
My old wheels had a problem with the seals so the hubs got corroded and got kinked from the metals balls that makes the bearing. Another big thing, I experienced some wobbling when I reach 64 Km per hour in a descent. Very freaky when you don’t know about that the first time it happens. After reading about that problem over the net, I kind‘a tamed the wobbling to reach faster speeds (74 Km/h) but with some hesitations instead of thrills. So I took a chance buying those wheels over the net.
I got them within a week, well packed and in excellent condition. On the first try, the difference of stiffness is quite noticeable and they feel smooth on the roll. During the first windy day, I had the feeling that the drafts of winds didn’t slow me down as I’m expected to.
My old wheels worth about 200$ in 2006. It is kind ‘a of an unfair comparison in my sense.
With all that said, I think that they are wonderful wheels and they look great on my bike. The season is just starting so I didn’t try them out in a downhill to check if I still get some wobbling at high speeds. When I’ll get more kilometres, I’ll try to write more feedbacks.

Favorite Ride:   Le tour du Lac St-Jean

Purchased At:   Total cycling

Bike Setup:   Bike: Specialized Roubaix Elite 2006
Groupset: Shimano 105
Old wheels: AClass Alx290

SRAM S27 AL Comp

Best on test in the German bike magazine Tour (Edition 6, 2010). However, they haven't been around for too long, so I was wondering about their durability... Anybody using these wheels (or the similar S30s) and willing to share their experience? Thanks! PS: I am in the market for a new wheelset a ... Read More »