SRAM S27 AL Comp wheelsets - clincher

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

SRAM S27AL Comp Road Wheelset. Take the high end designed hubs from the S30 line and combine them with a strong traditional shaped rim, and you?ll obtain the ideal training wheel. SRAM redefines the entry level wheel with the S27 Comp.

Submitted by Simon Brand

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2015

Strengths:    Aero spokes, nice graphics, initially good performance.

Weaknesses:    Bearings self-tighten and wear, giving creaking wheels, especially when under load.

Bottom Line:
I agree with the comments posted by "Jay Miller a Triathlete". Exactly the same problem happened to me, first on the rear wheel (I replaced the bearings), and then on the front wheel (after which I replaced the wheels). The mechanism to tighten the bearings cannot be adequately adjusted. Over time, this seems to tighten itself and the bearings are damaged, giving creaking wheels, especially on climbs. I've now replaced them with Fulcrum Racing 3s, which have traditional cup and cone bearings rather than the cartridge bearings of the SRAM S27 AL.

Submitted by Jay Miller a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Nice look, nice aero

Weaknesses:    Mechanically unsound

Bottom Line:
These wheels have two related problems. The first problem was noticable right out of the gate: hub adjustment yielded either a too-loose hub (wobbly by hand with a tightened quick-release) or a too-tight hub (slack in the chain while free-wheeling). No middle ground, and two LBSs were unable to do any better.

I should have just returned the wheels, but they were still rideable. Roughly a year later at 150-200m/week, the hub tightened up on me even more, to the point where I literally couldn't freewheel without the chain bunching up and hitting the spokes. It turns out the rubber o-ring in the hub assembly had degraded to the point where it no longer held its adjustment, so it tightened all the way up quickly while riding it. I fixed that problem with a new o-ring exactly two months ago, but today the same thing happened again.

Instead of getting another o-ring, this time I'm looking for new wheels.

I'm not sure if links work in these reviews, but you can find a detailed write-up of my latter problem here: http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/10073 .

Submitted by Dogpilot a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to adjust, SRAM actually has a manual online. Cool graphics, not stickers. Tough. Great for training

Weaknesses:    Well, they could be $50-100 cheaper

Bottom Line:
When I bought my Colnago, to keep the price down it came with Mavic Aksiums. I really didn't like them, they always felt draggy. So based on some checking around, I decided to try these. I scored a deal on eBay. I was really pleased. They look better, roll smoother and are easy to adjust. The smoother rolling makes for a slight increase in my cruise speed. They hold their true on the mountain roads up here. I have decided to spring for a second set for my cycloross bike.

Favorite Ride:   Colnago CX-1 EVO

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Aksium, Mavic Open Pro/Dura Ace

Bike Setup:   Colnago CX-1 EVO with full SRAM Red, Vittorio EVO Slick 320

Submitted by René Houde a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    Stifness
Smooth ride
Feel of better aero

Weaknesses:    Hmm... Always too expensive?

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike used for 1k and I used it for 2 summers, 3000 km. I didn’t have any experience before with a bike of that quality. It is hard for me to have references to comment those wheels.
I tried a Marin bike, a Mirinoni and a DeVinci, all aluminum frames with carbon forks (mine has zertz). I live in the province of Quebec, Saguenay, and the roads are often in a bad condition. From those little experiences, I can easily say that the Roubaix is the most comfortable and easy riding that I tried.
My old wheels had a problem with the seals so the hubs got corroded and got kinked from the metals balls that makes the bearing. Another big thing, I experienced some wobbling when I reach 64 Km per hour in a descent. Very freaky when you don’t know about that the first time it happens. After reading about that problem over the net, I kind‘a tamed the wobbling to reach faster speeds (74 Km/h) but with some hesitations instead of thrills. So I took a chance buying those wheels over the net.
I got them within a week, well packed and in excellent condition. On the first try, the difference of stiffness is quite noticeable and they feel smooth on the roll. During the first windy day, I had the feeling that the drafts of winds didn’t slow me down as I’m expected to.
My old wheels worth about 200$ in 2006. It is kind ‘a of an unfair comparison in my sense.
With all that said, I think that they are wonderful wheels and they look great on my bike. The season is just starting so I didn’t try them out in a downhill to check if I still get some wobbling at high speeds. When I’ll get more kilometres, I’ll try to write more feedbacks.

Favorite Ride:   Le tour du Lac St-Jean