SRAM S30 AL Race wheelsets - clincher

2.08/5 (12 Reviews)

SRAM S30AL Race Road Wheelset. The perfect combination of lightweight and aerodynamics. Put these wheels on your bike and feel how responsive they are. Packaged in a beautiful black diamond finish, they will turn heads around.

Submitted by rg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2014

Strengths:    This is for S30Gold. lightweight, superb engineered design (for disassembly and reassembly), excellent braking, stiff.

Weaknesses:    Broke 1 front spoke within first 500 miles, the spoke head at the hub gave out. Broke a rear non-drive spoke within a week of the front wheel, this time, the spoke shattered into 3 pieces. Was able to ride home at around 17mph with a +/- 10mm total deflection (i opened the brakes to prevent rubbing) for 15 miles on front wheel, and 20 miles on rear, including a few climbs each time.

I replaced the spokes, haven't had any issues for 500 miles so far. My guess is a QA issue, these two spokes where obviously set a much high tension than the rest. The front wheel was true when I replaced the spoke, the rear wheel will always have a 1mm deflection (my guess is due to the type of failure of the spoke).

Bottom Line:
At first I was a bit skeptical due to the light weight of the wheels and Sapim's claims that CX-ray spokes are the strongest in the world, then I was disappointed when they failed.
I've had a spinergy xaero lite wheel set for 10 years and had zero issues. so, CX-ray strongest in the world? hmm.

I'm at 175lbs, tons of hills in Pacific northwest and bumpy roads, but after the repairs, the S30 golds have been good. I hear a "ting-ting" sound from the front and from the rear every now and then but not all the time, and it does not affect their performance.

I feel more comfortable now and ride then as hard as my spinergy's. Bearings are excellent on the S30 golds, ceramic.

Taking the wheels apart for the spoke replacement, i did myself and the engineering to disassemble and reassemble is amazing, more wheel manufacturer's should make it this easy. Spokes are about $3 each, order a few of each, you will need them.

Similar Products Used:   Spinergy Xaero Lite

Bike Setup:   Orbea Orca gold

Submitted by geoff

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2013

Strengths:    nil

Weaknesses:    fragile

Bottom Line:
absolute crap 3 spokes replaced, replaced bearings twice

Submitted by geo

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Strengths:    look good

Weaknesses:    crap, 2 spokes broken, bearings replaced twice, not good enough from a high end company

Bottom Line:
would shop around for different brand next time

Submitted by Dan Sauers

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    light, fast, comfortable

Weaknesses:    not really anything
decals scratched but, hey, we've had them almost 3yrs.
no complaints

Bottom Line:
My wife (118lbs) and I (154lbs) share these though she rides them most often. We have put well over 3000 miles on them and not a single issue. I adjusted the play in the front hub just a bit when new and haven't had to touch them since. There are lots of hills (mtns) around here and the wheels are solid, secure decenders. Fast and comfy on the flats (23mm Diamante Pro)

Submitted by Kloudy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    Straight out the box these are light, good looking and feel reasonably quick. I got them new for £400 in the UK and they seemed a bit of a bargain at the time.

Weaknesses:    The wheels are on my second bike and don't see much action. Their biggest mileage was a week on Mallorca in April.
Yesterday I did an excellent 87m cyclosportive of the Isle of Mull in Scotland and I noticed an occasional clinking sound from the front end right from the start. By 70 miles in I sounded like a handful of nails in an old tobacco tin as (you've guessed it!) the bearings gradually collapsed. I managed to get to the finish but now, having read others experiences, I'm even wondering if its worth getting them repaired or just give them up as a bad job? Any thoughts on this?
I expected a LOT better from a company like SRAM who's Red groupset I love. Very disappointing.

Bottom Line:
I've often wondered how specialist hub builders like Chris King and DT Swiss make a living?
Now, I guess, I know.