SRAM S60 wheelsets - clincher

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Conquer climbs and flat roads alike with SRAM's sleek S60 wheels. These do-it-all hoops boast responsive unidirectional carbon rims with a detailed...

Submitted by skibud2

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2012

Strengths:    These wheels absolutely cruise on flats and downhills. I didn't notice a major weight hit while climbing.

Weaknesses:    None that I have seen.

Bottom Line:
Overall very happy with my purchase.

Submitted by John Scott a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2012

Strengths:    they are pretty much bomb proof! i have raced and trained on these wheels for about 2.5 year and never had to true them. i weigh 160 and have hit some huge holes with them!!!!

Weaknesses:    they are a little heavy, weighing in around the 1800 gram range.

Bottom Line:
These wheels have been amazing! I have put somewhere in the range for 20,000 miles. I have never broke a spoke, had to true them, or had to rebuild the hubs yet. i am going to do it this year, not becasue i have to, but just to do it.

Favorite Ride:   Ft Davis hill climb

Similar Products Used:   zipp 303s, 404s, 808s, custom built wheels, silk 38mm wheels, dt swiss wheels. i have rode alot of wheels and these are a great training/ racing wheels

Bike Setup:   2011 Litespeed C1R, red group
^^^
another great bike!

Submitted by led1002 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Low price nice graphics

Weaknesses:    Poor quality control.
Weak pawl mechanism

Bottom Line:
I bought these thinking they would be of high quality since they are manufactured by Zipp. They have turned out to be the worst set of wheels I have ever owned. The first sign of trouble was a broken spoke on the rear wheel drive side. I was able to get free replacement spokes but the replacement also broke not long after replacing. It was then that I realized that the nut tensioning the spoke was installed backaward and was causing the failure. The rear pawl mechanism also tends to slip periodcially when under load when climbing. Justt recently the front wheel has developed a horrendous creaking noise and I am concerned the carbon may be separating from the aluminum rin.

Favorite Ride:   Van Dessel Hellafaster

Similar Products Used:   Revolution Wheelworks, Mavic Ksyriums

Bike Setup:   Van Dessel hellafaster with Dura Ace 10 speed used for training and racing.

Submitted by oldgeek a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    Good quality. Aluminum rims so brakes work right. Really surprisingly Aero, makes a noticeable difference.

Weaknesses:    Dumb ass valve extensions.

Bottom Line:
I shopped around for quite a while. I kill wheels every two years or so. Something about being 205 lbs. I needed some new wheels and I thought Aero would help me in a Grandfondo this summer.

These are really nice wheels. You feel fast right from the start. Yes they are a few grams heavier, but I could conceivably lose the entire weight of my bike off my belly if I really tried. Strength I need. these got it.

They are noticeably stiff, but you can run slightly lower air pressure if you want as these are less than a millimeter narrower than HED C2 wheels. So the wide tire bed effect works here too. Stiff translates into feeling road texture, which is not a bad thing.

Only cloud is the dumb-ass SRAM valve extension. Total Crap. What would a proper valve extension ( with a presta valve in it) cost, another 75 cents? I bought a set of Vitoria extensions at my LBS. For a product over a grand this is penny pinching.

Summary I like them. No regrets. Good quality, and good price. Nice thing about companies establishing a brand is they have to price low. Get them while they are still cheap.

Favorite Ride:   Any sunny day through Stanley Park.

Purchased At:   bike bling

Similar Products Used:   Botranger, Fulcrum, Neuvation, Mavic.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac 58cm. Ultegra and Dura Shimano, Sram Cassette, Sram wheels, Michelin krylion, Garmin computer.

Submitted by ryabusa a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Strengths:    VERY FAST, VERY AERO! Great for all round riding, racing, training (for hills b/c they're a little heavier than a true climbing set, rated rider weight up to 100 kg (220 lbs), great looks, bladed spokes, awesome power transfer, increased average speeds/max speeds. It's true element would be: TT's, Criteriums, Triathlons.

Weaknesses:    I don't know if it's a weakness, but if you're looking for the "dimples" on the carbon dish just like the Zipp's, sorry to report that they don't have 'em. But, unless you're a Pro Tour caliber racer, I don't think most of us would notice the lack of dimples. Otherwise, no weakness.

Bottom Line:
I was having problems with the OEM Mavic CXP22's and spoke issues. I was gonna go with Zipp404's but a local racer at the LBS recommended me this wheelset (Zipp is now owned by SRAM). I wanted a good,all around racing/training wheel that happened to FLY in the flats and descents, I am not disappointed, and neither will you! Just like the other reviewer said, the aero advantages will have you spinning a higher cadence in a higher gear (I normally run CA 18 at 53X19, that same section is 53x15 at 100 rpms). I will be using them for crit racing this summer. The ride quality is amazingly compliant, stiff, light (compared to the CXP22), and plush (sounds like an oxymoron to stiff). They suprisingly handle well on descents with many switchbacks. Also spin up fast from a standstill. You can really feel these things transfer power well in sprint situations. Be sure to buy spare spokes to eliminate any downtime. I recently broke one and it took two weeks to find the proper size.

Favorite Ride:   CA-173 to 138, sheep creek, el mirage loop

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant TCR Advanced 3, Time RXS pedals, SRAM S60 wheelset. SRAM Red Gruppo coming soon!

CLYSDALE SRAM S60 zipp 404 zipp 60 cosmic carbone SL

Has anybody ridden these. Im looking for everyday riders I figure if im spending the money on a new wheelset im gonna use them. I was thinking about custom wheels but what i really want is a lot of $$$$$ Im 5''11 245-250lb ride about 100 miles a week nothing to fast average about 16/18mph I current ... Read More »

Sram S60's making metallic noise?

Every time I hit a corner or if I get up off my saddle , my Sram S60's make a metallic sound, as if they are hitting something. Would this be a sign thet the spokes are too loose? It only seems to come from the front wheel as well. Anybody else experience this with these kind of wheels?Read More »

SRAM S60 for $758/set or S80 for $806/set

@Nahbar. ...or you can mix and match as desired. [url=http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10052&categoryId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=10053]Nashbar - New Deals[/url]Read More »

SRAM S60 for $758/set, worth it? Opinions?

Any opinions on SRAM S60 for $758/set for an all around/race wheel? My intended use is as race wheels for tris, and the occasional road race I do. If I wanted more aero for the rear I can get a cover from wheelbuilder. I'm leaning towards 60 front/rear for my non tri use. I weigh 180 +/- 5 ... Read More »

Sram S60 Front Wheel

Does anyone know where I can get best price on Sram S60 Front wheel? Thanks.Read More »