Velocity Helios wheelsets - clincher

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

• Lightweight Road wheels featuring 19mm tall rims, sealed bearing hubs, Sapim CX-Ray bladed spokes, aluminum axles/freehub (HG spline), and 24 radial ft with 28 off center rear. F/R: 650g/870g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Cam Godecke

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    Very light, especially for the price. Very little lateral flex under hard pedaling. Velocity Aerohead rims are a strong point.

Weaknesses:    Spokes may break if washers are not used at hub flange.

Bottom Line:
    These wheels have been a mixed bag for me. After close to a year of continuous use, having remained true and solid, spokes began to break on both front and back wheels. After replacing 4 or 5 I noticed they all broke near the J-bend and realized it was due to a gap between the spoke and hub. They should have had washers to properly seat them close to the hub flange. I finally rebuilt both wheels with DT Aerolites, whose J-bend spec put them snug against the hub, and haven't had a broken spoke in 3 years since. Also, at 4 years and some 4000-5000 miles the rear rim showed extensive cracking radiating from the spoke holes. This was also replaced and has held up well after careful rebuilding. I would make sure of the spoke-hub spec before buying from Velocity USA next time. If CX-Rays are used, they must have washers or a different hub flange dimension.

Submitted by GregD a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    Light and solid.

Weaknesses:    Freehub is aluminum, so cassettes with individual cogs start digging into it. I have a SRAM red cassette now which seems fine. Also, replacement freehubs are available.

Bottom Line:
    I've put about 2000 miles on these wheels and been very pleased with them. Their light, 1378 grams on my scale without skewers, and they feel solid. I weight 190 pounds, and there's no squirming or brake pad rub. So far, they've stayed true with no adjustments necessary, although I tend to be pretty careful when I ride, no potholes or curb jumping, etc.

Favorite Ride:   Scott Addict SL

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra, Mavic Aksium.

Submitted by bikeosprey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light, super smooth bearings.
    SLEEPER wheels. All performance.

Weaknesses:    No impact on the way they look.

Bottom Line:
    I am a 58 year old rider, retired 8 years so I have lots of time for research. These are great wheels, super light, crazy smooth bearings, super strong. Only problem is they are not as pretty as the newer wheels and no one knows about these, just amazing. x-ray spokes. check out the details on their web site, 1470 grams.

Similar Products Used:   too many

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac Pro, 2009, Campy 10 speed carbon with 09 shifters, Cnc brakes, 14.8 pounds without pedals. Great WTB Rocket V Pro saddle

Submitted by redrabbit a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, price, great company. They are local where I live and I went to the company and talked with the guy who runs it about lacing options etc. Anyone can call him too. They aren't using proprietary parts so any reputable lbs can work on them w/o ordering parts.

Bottom Line:
    I had them lace both front and back 2x rather then radial front and 3x rear. Wheels came in at 1420g w/o skewers and 1523 w/skewers on the scale at lbs. You'll pay 2x as much for a comparable wheelset from another company. Velocity is a great company and deals with any issues on their wheels.

Favorite Ride:   Hills

Similar Products Used:   Low end Mavic (yuck! long wait for replacement parts too), Gippieme (heavy but solid)

Hubs-Novatec vs. Velocity Race or Helios

I am looking to build a wheelset for CX and want to keep the cost reasonable. I am looking for real world experience w/ these hubs. I don't have prices on the velocity products (Race and Helios) however, the novatecs are downright cheap and have fairly good reviews (lately). Any help on recommendati ... Read More »

Velocity Helios a good value for racing/fast group rides?

I found a pair of used Helios wheels for $175 w/ skewers. Slight brake wear only on the rear wheel. My question is: 1) Is this a good deal 2) Will these wheels be a good option for entry level racing, fast group rides, and centuries. I'm a relatively new rider, but ride nearly every day a ... Read More »

Velocity Helios?

I wonder if you guys could give me some feedback on these . I am usually 215 at the start of each season and quickly dip down below 200 . I tend to be a masher almost always in 53 up front and 17 harder in back . I usually ride in fast group rides on gently rolling terrain but occasionally do some h ... Read More »