Vuelta Corsa-Lite wheelsets - clincher

3.86/5 (14 Reviews)

• Semi-Aero Road wheelset featuring 27mm alloy CNC rims
  • Vuelta alloy cartidge bearing hubs with Shimano HG spline
  • Aero butted stainless black spokes
  • 647g/875g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2014

Strengths:    Low price, rolls fast

Weaknesses:    many broken spokes, poor quality in nipples. Wheels become very noisey, creaky. When that begins to happen check you nipple as the are getting ready to fail

Bottom Line:
    Wanted to have a everyday value for the money wheelset that could handle my clydesdale weight.
    They lasted for about 2 years with about 150 miles per week, until the rear hub died. I could always tell when I was going to have a broken spoke or broken nipple just from the noise. But for the money they did exactly what I need

Submitted by Robert

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2014

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    cheaply made

Bottom Line:
    I know that these are low price entry level wheels but they are really cheaply made. I have been riding for more than 20 years on many different kinds of wheels and have never broken a spoke ( I weigh 160lbs). I have had these wheels for less than six months and I have broken 3 spokes already. Luckily I broke them on the flat and not going downhill at 45mph. I have no confidence in them and they're going up in the garage never to be used again.

Submitted by Brad Johnson a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Aero, Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Noisy free wheel

Bottom Line:
    I'll admit it, I'm cheap. I'm a mountain biker who bought a used road bike off craigslist for $350 to have something to ride when trying my first triathlon. I put about 1000 miles on the bike the first season. The bike came with Alex AKX R1.0 wheels, and by the end of the season I had broken two spokes on the rear and 5 on the front before giving up on them. And I was only 175 lbs at the time, so I wasn't thinking I was too heavy for the wheels. It was a rude awakening to the world of road biking equipment given the durability I was accustom to with mountain bike wheels.

I have Vuelta XRP Pro wheels on my #1 mountain bike and they've been flawless for the 3 season's I had them. So I felt good about buying these Vuelta Corsa Lite's online for my road bike. I brought them into a local bike shop (still in the box) and had them check trueness and they said they were perfect. They were considerably lighter than the Alex wheels (the guy at the bike shop even said "wow"), and a little over 1 year and 2500+ miles later have proven way-more durable. My bike seems more nibble and I am better able to respond to accelerations on my group rides. The braking surface is true and consistent. Also, despite putting on almost 10 more pounds, my triathlon bike leg speeds went up around 1-1.5 mph (~21mph to ~22.5mph) on the same courses with these new wheels (no other changes to my $350 bike). And no broken spokes.

My first ride on these I could not believe how quiet the free wheel was, I couldn't even hear it over the wind noise. That changed. After maybe a month of riding I started to think it was louder than the Alex wheel, now I'm certain it is. I have 4 bikes (including a 1992, all original) and this is easily the loudest of the four. It's not a big deal to me though, so long as they continue to be durable and fast, I don't care how much noise they make when I coast.

Since I'm relatively new to road biking I can't compare these to any respectable wheel sets, but certainly if you are looking to upgrade wheels on a < $1500 MSRP (or more?) road bike these would be a decent, economical choice.

Purchased At:   Bikenashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Alex AKX R1.0

Bike Setup:   Redline R750, 105/Tiagra components

Submitted by Wynnbb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2012

Strengths:    Light
    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Weak
    Cheaply constructed

Bottom Line:
    Less than 200 miles, spiderweb cracks on the entire rim for both Front AND back. I am 125 lbs and I rode it on pavement.

I'm actually inclined that these cracks were there to start with, and they covered it up with the stickers. Take the stickers off your rim and don't be surprised to see the cracks as well. Unbelievable.......

Avoid Vuelta at all cost!

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano RS10

Bike Setup:   CAAD10 with 105

Submitted by Jeb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Strengths:    Low cost, solid construction, very stiff rear wheel.

Weaknesses:    Bit noisy

Bottom Line:
    I picked these up on sale for under $200 shipped. They're almost 800 grams lighter than my previous wheels but I can honestly say I don't notice that. The biggest thing is they are much stiffer than my old wheels, which can likely be attributed to the good even and high tension on the spokes. They spun true out of the box with no noticeable issues. I've only got ~200 miles on them right now, so there might be issues in the future. Unlike most of the reviewers here I haven't had any problems with an uneven brake surface. The front 'sings' on the road which I think is due to the radial, bladed spokes as the tire is the same from my old wheelset and it didn't do that on them. The rear freehub is much louder than the freehub on the stock wheelset that came with my 2011 Specialized Secteur. I don't get brake rub when climbing out of the saddle anymore which is great. I haven't made any epic climbs yet, so I can't say they make me 10 mph faster on climbs, but for the price, I think they are hard to beat for an upgrade.

Purchased At:   Nashbar