Vuelta Corsa Super Light wheelsets - clincher

• Spokes: Aero 2.2mm Butted
  • Spoke Count: Front: 20 Rear: 24

Submitted by wayne

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2014

Strengths:    In 2009 I bought the 1490 gram Corsa Super lights. They were true out of the box, and after hitting some major potholes inner City LA they have held their true for 4 years! They were lighter than my stock Mavics and rolls really nice. I have ridden the bike path along the beach and never had corrosion issues. Brake wear is minimal and still have some stock machining still visible.

Weaknesses:    I peeled off the sticker because the graphics were a bit much as I already have same colors on my Wilier Izoard and FSA components.

Bottom Line:
After 4 years of riding, wheels still roll true, They are great for everyday riding but a little heavy for racing, They claim wheelset is 1490 grams probably after you peel off the stickers. I highly recommend these wheels for training and everyday riding.

Favorite Ride:   Palos Verdes and Santa Monica bike path

Purchased At:   I Martin in LA

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 1700 gram stock wheel

Bike Setup:   2010 Wilier Izoard Shimano Ultegra brakes and deraileurs, FSA lightweight carbon cranks, bars, stem, post, Vuelta Corsa superlight/ Vitoria Rubino Pro

Submitted by Darrell Roberts a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2013

Strengths:    Ultra light, spin up very quickly, handle in high winds very well.

Weaknesses:    Stickers on rims, Quick releases are a bit heavy. .

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing the 2013, 1365 gram, Vuelta Corsa Superlight wheel set, which I am pretty sure is not what some of the earlier reviewers were posting about. Just installed them today but noticed a huge difference from my previous Mavic Kyserium Elite's immediately. I put them on my wheel truing stand before install and they both spun perfectly right out of the box. Only slight adjustment on rear derailleur required for my Campy Chorus shifting. I live in a windy area and it was a typical summer, very windy day, for the first test ride. I noticed almost no effect at all from the wind in cross winds, downhill high speed cornering was excellent and they seem to climb very well. Great replacement wheel set for those looking to spend less than $1000 for a new set of wheels.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Easton SLX EA90. Mavic Kyserium Elite. Mavic Open Pro.

Bike Setup:   Willier Gran Torismo with Campagnolo Chorus.

Submitted by dan sauers

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    True, light, roll smooth, laterally stiff

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Purchased wheels Summer '12 and have over 3000 miles on this set.
Feel quick and ~fast - they are a stiff wheel. Lots of hills here and wheels are solid decenders.
No issues. Ride the same as the first day.
153#, 5'9"

Submitted by Troy a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Great price point and light. Roll forever, aero spokes. Nice looking graphics.

Weaknesses:    The only one I can think of is the graphics are stickers.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these in spring of 12. I weigh 180 lbs. picked up for just under 400 dollars. I am approaching 2000 miles and have ridden every surface. Cobbles, cold Michigan pocked roads, gravel and dirt roads. I have not had to adjust a single spoke. I am very satisfied with this wheel set! I ride 4 times a week and Have gotten a great return on my investment.

Purchased At:   Cambria bike

Bike Setup:   These were replacement wheels for alx200.

Submitted by Bumpstop a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2011

Strengths:    Bearings spin forever.

Weaknesses:    Will they last...? Not a weakness, is it, just a concern.

Bottom Line:
I'm only giving these 4/4 because I can't rule out that there might be a better value out there, otherwise no complaints. I weigh 70kg / 154 pounds (important to know for wheel reviews).
I have about 300 km on a pair of late 2010 Super-Lites. They relegate my 2006-ish Mavic Ksyrium Elites to 'winter wheels'. Previously, I had bought a pair of cheaper Vuelta Zero-Lite clinchers for the GF, but was not terribly impressed with them myself (the GF loves them, however), except for the EVO bearings, they spin forever!
I didn't weigh the Super-Lites before mounting, but believe the're around 1500 g as advertised, about 300 g lighter than the Mavics.
Wheels arrived visually dead-on true. No problems with mounting tires, cassette needed only slight adjustment to the limit screw.
We have flat to rolling hills here, nothing big. The roads can be patchy, but not really too bad, paved and chip/seal. From a stop or when attacking, my '08 SuperSix is noticeably quicker to accelerate. The rims are not so rigid as the Mavic's, so road bumps are better absorbed, like dropping your tire pressure 10 pounds. But, there wasn't any noticeable loss due to wheel flex while climbing. At speeds up to mid-50s kph, I've had no handling issues (no big hills around here) - I can't speak for them at ~70 kph. I imagine there's some aero benefit over the Mavics, but I know it can only be a few watts.
The EVO bearings spin infinitely better than the Mavic's bearings, this adds to the sense of reduced effort. After a few runs on two separate 30 - 50 km routes, and under various conditions, I note my average speeds are up 0.4 to 0.7 kph and I can often now carry an additional gear, it just makes that little bit of difference.
Cosmetically, they match the Cannonball nicely, but up close the stickers look cheap, I might peel them off someday. You can get these benefits from many similar wheels, but so far, the Super-Lite delivers!

Favorite Ride:   Out there