Williams Cycling Wheel System 19 wheelsets - clincher

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Neil Statz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, Price, fast, ceramic hybrid bearings, Customer service

Bottom Line:
Had a small problem with the rear wheel. I called Williams and the new part was here in 4 days including the weekend. Possibly the best wheelset you can buy for the money and with their great customer service I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Favorite Ride:   any fast group ride

Purchased At:   Williams

Bike Setup:   Scott CR1

Submitted by Jonathan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    Strengths: They are light for $500 aluminum clinchers. I got good results racing them. Williams has great customer service.

Weaknesses:    Weakness: I broke a spoke in the first couple of months and I only weight 150 pounds. They don’t look cool, but I don’t care much about that. The ceramic bearings are not everything the cracked up to be. They come with terrible skewers.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line: I got them at the start of the 2011 season racing Cat 4. I am about to move to Cat 2 a year later, you cannot argue with results. Before, I was trying to race a pair of Fulcrum Race 7s which are heavy. The difference was clear when I put on the 19’s. Bottom line, these wheels made me faster than my Fulcrum Race 7s. I recommend these wheels with some reservations.
My reservations… I have doubts about the build quality of the wheel, as I broke the spoke. Also, buying direct is not the best because I had to wait for the mailed replacement parts (Williams was easy to work with on getting the parts), and then pay my local bike shop to do the repair. Had I just bought the wheels from my lbs, they would have had the parts on hand, and done the repair for free, right away. I can compare the 19’s to Shimano Dura-ace tubeless and Reynolds DV3K clinchers I’ve ridden. The 19’s don’t corner as well, nor do they feel as solid. Also, they don’t spin as well; making me think the ceramic bearings in these wheels is more hype than performance. In fact, they lose in every regard but price. Also, the hubs are very small which makes me think that not all the weight savings are rotational weight.
I'm glad I bought the 19’s, but I am downgrading them to training wheel, as I bought a pair of Reynolds DV3K on sale. You should buy them is you are working your way through cat 5-3 and just need a basic pair of wheels to race. Also, buy them if you just want a good pair of training wheels that won't make you work too hard up the hills.

Favorite Ride:   South West Wisconsin

Purchased At:   Williams Website

Similar Products Used:   Reynolds DV3K, Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7900-C24-TL

Bike Setup:   Cervelo S2 with Sram Force

Submitted by Arze73 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Lite, Stiff, Cost, Customer Service

Weaknesses:    No Aero qualities. 2 broken spokes in 1 year (I am 160 pounds). Low cost means they are not the most quality wheels out there

Bottom Line:
WOW! I cannot think of a better bang for the buck. Lite and Stiff is what you want for climbing, and these wheels deliver both at value. On top of all of that, their customer service is amazing. These guys really want to get it right. The bad part is that I have broken 2 spokes on fast descents (yikes), and you can hear the wind flutter off the rear wheel at 25+ mph.

Favorite Ride:   Santa Cruz Mtns and Palos Verdes

Purchased At:   Williams Website

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3: Shimano

Submitted by dirtchallengedroadie a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight
Cost
Customer service

Weaknesses:    Durability
Material quality

Bottom Line:
Solid, relatively lightweight wheelset. A great deal for the price. However, the quality of the hubs is suspect. After a year of use on training rides, my rear hub developed about 3mm of lateral play. But for what I paid for these wheels, they perform better than a comparable wheelset that might cost twice as much.

Purchased At:   Williamscycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium SL

Bike Setup:   Scott Addict R1 SRAM Red

Submitted by cpurx a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Much lighter than wheels comparably priced
Less expensive than wheels that are heavier and cost more
Stiff but not harsh
Very stoutly built
Great customer service

Weaknesses:    A little plain but maybe that’s strength

Bottom Line:
I’ve used these as every day wheels and put about 2500 miles on them with zero issues, including two mountain events, one with 13,000’ of climbing and the other 10,000’. Mounted a set of Conti GP 4000s with Latex tubes and feel like I’m riding on clouds…whew, what a nice ride. I’ve never ridden tubular, if it’s better than this, it must be heaven. Out of the saddle in the switch backs you can really feel that little extra needed to maintain speed and hold your pace after sitting back down. Descending was a cake walk with no flex in hard corners at high speed.

The groups I ride with are fast enough for me but then what’s fast? My goals are simply, don’t crash, don’t cause a crash, and come in with the front group. I mostly have found success with this formula and these wheels have made it easier to do so. Despite my weight disadvantage while descending, I still can freewheel faster than heavier riders than myself. Also, I have to constantly touch my breaks while still pedaling to keep from half wheeling the person in front of me and causing the person behind me to perform intervals.

I’ve also ridden these on a couple of different frame materials and the wheels change the bikes performance in every case. In November of 2010 I switched to a set of Ksyrium SSC for offseason riding. It’s a noticeably harder ride, although the tire tube combination is also different, Conti GP 4000 with butyl tubs. I don’t know how fair that is but I can’t wait for spring to jump back on the System 19’s.

I’d have to say the customer service is also very good. The wheels came with a Shimano freehub and I ride Campy. I sent an email for the coast of the replacement and in less than a half hour I had and email back from Keith. I placed the order and had it in no time.

Favorite Ride:   Any safe road