Williams Cycling Wheel System 50c wheelsets - clincher

• Built to Race

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by JDavis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2015

Strengths:    Cost and customer service. I have also found these to be a very reliable wheelset.
    My Cost was 1800.00 as I also purchased the PowerTap G3

Bottom Line:
    I actually have the Williams 58's clinchers and I love them. I have not have any issues with them for this year that I have been riding on them I weigh about 186 lbs and last year I put about 12,000miles on these as I race and commute on them (I just received the commuter of the year in Pima County). Recently my front hub developed a problem after hitting a pot hole really hard but I'm convinced that any carbon wheel would have been challenged by the impact.

I also have the Power meter G3 option on my wheelset...this combination has proven to be awesome. As you can tell I love my wheels and I would recommend them to anyone.

Favorite Ride:   THe Shootout (Tucson Arizona)

Purchased At:   Williams online stor

Bike Setup:   2012 Diamondback Podium 5

Submitted by rocky_mtn_rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2014

Strengths:    [This review is actually for the System 58 carbon clinchers]
    Attractive... If you like huge and numerous decals.
    The carbon rims appeared to be okay.

Weaknesses:    The Williams proprietary hubs are garbage.
    Bearings are bad... I mean REALLY bad.
    Right out of the box the front wheel needed truing at the local bike shop.
    During rides a really weird noise developed... I was informed that this was the pawls sticking.
    Had five pro bike mechanics inspect these wheels to determine cause of noise and other manufacturing-related issues. All confirmed that there was a serious problem.
    Yes, I know... that can happen with any product. Especially Asian made stuff ... But still, this web page is for reviews of this particular item and that's what I'm providing.

Bottom Line:
    Read all the luminous reviews prior to purchasing. But am very disappointed.
    Customer service was / is outstanding, in the sense that the owner Keith Williams responds quickly and personally. He is very helpful, accessible, communicative as is their in-house mechanic.

I am considering returning these for a full refund.
    I purchased through Amazon - and Amazon has a really good return policy.
    There is really no significant advantage to getting Williams carbon wheels as opposed to getting the really cheap eBay Chinese carbon clinchers.
    Williams carbon wheels are built either in Taiwan or China anyway, so what's the point ?

Submitted by Brian Killion

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent balance, strength and roll.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I've had these wheels for a month now and I've put them through hell. They bounce back like a good rubber band and haven't had any problems at all. True as the day they came out of the box.

Submitted by Don James a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Strong as all get out, hybrid ceramic hubs, carbon rims with basalt braking surface. Came with the brakes pads. Nice build with the Powertap.

Weaknesses:    Ah...hmm....oh....NADA!

Bottom Line:
    I got these after I was smashed a few times by cars and my HEDs went bye bye forever. I demo'd the ZIPPs and no doubt they are nice wheels, but with a premium I don't see.
    I got the Williams 58 clincher with the SL+ Powertap. I slam in 1500 watts sprints and not a "tink" "ping" or groan from the wheels that is. After over 3k miles, not even a wobble, I have never had them trued, I have the hub serviced once a year, just because and no worries. At 220 after my morning constitutional these wheels have held up amazingly well and they don't need to be "Clydesdale" builds to do so.

Favorite Ride:   Paekakariki hill loop in Kapiti, NZ

Purchased At:   Williams WebSite

Similar Products Used:   Felt TTR2 wheels, HED 3, Reynolds Attacks, Reynolds Assaults

Bike Setup:   2009 Felt DA, Dura-Ace, Vulka bars, Williams 58s with SL+ PT, Simkin Brakes

Submitted by Jamie Gardner a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2012

Strengths:    Price, noticeably aero, 2 sets of brake pads included, easily serviced, graphics look good, as light or lighter than competitors with similar wheel size (for a clincher).

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little flexy (for bigger riders)????

Bottom Line:
    I purchased the 38 clinchers in April 2011. I had plenty of time to do research with a broken leg from skiing. Looking at several independent manufacturers and bike wholesale websites, these appeared to be the best $ per gram for an aero carbon clincher. Reviews also seemed favorable. I rode these all summer in group rides, on chip and seal roads, hit several pot holes and railroad tracks, and managed to get my fitness back enough to race them in August. These are my favorite wheelset! I have a lighter alloy clincher set (Rolf Prima Elan Aero- about 1300 grams) and the ride quality of the carbon is extremely noticable. I do not have powerful legs for time trialing but I was surprised at the aero advantage even in group rides. I was easily outcoasting even the heavy riders in our group. Their trueness has remained perfect although I am rather light at 5'8" and 155lbs. I do wonder if they might have some flex under a bigger rider as I occassionally have some brake rub when out of my saddle if my brakes aren't centered perfectly. Although this hasn't been much of an issue and I would gladly buy a 2nd set for my other bike when finances allow. I can't justify dropping over two grand for a pair of Zipps. I would say if you are of average build, like to ride hard and occassionally race, and are cost conscious that these wheels would be for you.

Purchased At:   William's Website