Williams Cycling Wheel System 50c wheelsets - clincher

• Built to Race

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Western Rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2017

Strengths:    This review is for System 58 Carbon Clincher.
    Wheels were purchased on Amazon. Price seemed reasonable compared to all the Chinese eBay carbon wheels. They offered 1 year warranty.
    Josh - Williams' lead mechanic - was quick to respond to warranty claims.

Weaknesses:    Had serious rear hub bearing problems right out of the box.
    Sent item back as a warranty claim, but problem was not resolved. Bearings were way too tight and way too much ultra-heavy bearing grease caused the axle to barely turn... also had rough feel ... no smooth operation at all. Keith - the owner - was very rude and arrogant when i suggested that the product was inferior.
    The cheap ceramic rear hub bearings finally collapsed. I ended up having the rear wheel rebuilt with new spokes and a Shimano 9000 hub.

Bottom Line:
    Carbon rims are okay. Williams should sell these and let customer have them built up with a non-Williams hub.
    Williams ceramic bearing hubs are total garbage.

Favorite Ride:   Sonoma County & Jackson Hole

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Triple-X Lite Wheels
    Off-the-Front Racing System carbon rims with DT Swiss hubs.
    Mavic ksyrium elite, 10th anniversary

Submitted by Leroy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2016

Strengths:    The price is less than the known brands but a lot more than Chinese generic wheels off Ebay

Weaknesses:    8 broken spokes in 15 months. Bearing are also shot is less time. These are the ceramic and they roll worse the $100 wheels

Bottom Line:
    This is for the Wheel System 58 Carbon Clincher. There seems to be a design flaw with the wheels or I got a really bad set of wheels. I have never broken a front spoke in my life and have broken 3 in my front wheel and 5 in my rear wheel. What's most unusual is that I have not broken any drive side spokes. The valve is not boxed so there's a spoke crossing right where I need to attach the pump. The bearings are garbage; it would take a mavic bearing 20 years to get like a 6 month old Williams bearing. I weigh 157 lbs and don't race. I was hoping for much better, these are worse than the wheels back in the 80s.

Submitted by JDavis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2015

Strengths:    Cost and customer service. I have also found these to be a very reliable wheelset.
    My Cost was 1800.00 as I also purchased the PowerTap G3

Bottom Line:
    I actually have the Williams 58's clinchers and I love them. I have not have any issues with them for this year that I have been riding on them I weigh about 186 lbs and last year I put about 12,000miles on these as I race and commute on them (I just received the commuter of the year in Pima County). Recently my front hub developed a problem after hitting a pot hole really hard but I'm convinced that any carbon wheel would have been challenged by the impact.

I also have the Power meter G3 option on my wheelset...this combination has proven to be awesome. As you can tell I love my wheels and I would recommend them to anyone.

Favorite Ride:   THe Shootout (Tucson Arizona)

Purchased At:   Williams online stor

Bike Setup:   2012 Diamondback Podium 5

Submitted by rocky_mtn_rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2014

Strengths:    [This review is actually for the System 58 carbon clinchers]
    Attractive... If you like huge and numerous decals.
    Lightweight
    The carbon rims appeared to be okay.

Weaknesses:    The Williams proprietary hubs are garbage.
    Bearings are bad... I mean REALLY bad.
    Right out of the box the front wheel needed truing at the local bike shop.
    During rides a really weird noise developed... I was informed that this was the pawls sticking.
    Had five pro bike mechanics inspect these wheels to determine cause of noise and other manufacturing-related issues. All confirmed that there was a serious problem.
    Yes, I know... that can happen with any product. Especially Asian made stuff ... But still, this web page is for reviews of this particular item and that's what I'm providing.

Bottom Line:
    Read all the luminous reviews prior to purchasing. But am very disappointed.
    Customer service was / is outstanding, in the sense that the owner Keith Williams responds quickly and personally. He is very helpful, accessible, communicative as is their in-house mechanic.

I am considering returning these for a full refund.
    I purchased through Amazon - and Amazon has a really good return policy.
    There is really no significant advantage to getting Williams carbon wheels as opposed to getting the really cheap eBay Chinese carbon clinchers.
    Williams carbon wheels are built either in Taiwan or China anyway, so what's the point ?

Submitted by Brian Killion

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent balance, strength and roll.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I've had these wheels for a month now and I've put them through hell. They bounce back like a good rubber band and haven't had any problems at all. True as the day they came out of the box.