Zipp Speed Weaponry 101 Clincher wheelsets - clincher

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Everyday aerodynamics. Zipp's 101 Alloy Wheels bring their advanced aerodynamic technology to a durable and lightweight 30mm alloy clincher rim. Actual weights for the 101 Alloy Clincher Wheelset are 735g Front 857g Rear 1592gset.

Submitted by Zach

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Strengths:    Aero, stiff, light (for aluminum 30mm rim), hub, looks

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I got these on sale for $850 to replace my 2010 Mavic Ksyrium Elites. They are comparable weight (20 grams lighter) and I don't feel any difference from a weight perspective. They do feel noticeably stiffer (although my Mavics are 4 years old so they could be a little flexy from riding). I mounted 25mm tires and they feel a lot better than the 23mm tires on my Mavics (same brand). The wheels feel a lot smoother in terms of ride quality and pavement feedback, but this could be due to the bigger tires (I'm running same PSI). I do notice a lot more grip cornering and stopping and highly recommend the wider tire, especially for bigger riders (I weigh 200lbs). Finally, I can't speak in terms on straight aero performance (although they feel faster, this could be in my head), but I do notice far less pull in cross winds. I would say these wheels are worth the $1300 retail, although I probably wouldn't pay it. Rol Race SLs are a good alternative. But, if you find Zipp 101s on sale don't pass them by.

Submitted by jmt8345 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2012

Strengths:    Fantastic just do it all wheels. Light feeling, stiff but not bone jarring like Ksyriums, smooth riding and I love Zipp hubs so I am sure I am biased. They are just beautiful works of art. If it would not cost me a divorce, I would pony up the $ to get a set for my other bike with a PT.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I possibly ding this wheelset on is they are pricey. I think if you compare them to a traditional aero wheel, the price does not seem so comparably steep.

Bottom Line:
Just excellent, best wheelset I've ever owned. Just hit my first 1k miles on them and they are flawless.

Favorite Ride:   Horribly Hilly

Purchased At:   Urban Tri Gear

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium Elites and SL, Easton EA90 SLX

Bike Setup:   Madone 4.6, Rival and 101s.

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Speed, Strength, Very Aero for Aluminum Clincher, Great Looks

Weaknesses:    Price, ( Performance costs )..worth it.

Bottom Line:
I don't pretend to have the level of knowledge like the seasoned riders that normally respond, but I love these wheels. I am a above average rider that loves the sport and I enjoy doing century rides at a fast pace. I put these wheels on my Madone 5.2 and they rock. I noticed a big difference in accel and coasting immediately. the Aero shape really wakes up these wheels above 17mph. The group I ride with were having to peddle harder on downhills to stay up with me while I coasted. I am a strong attacker on hills and these wheels just chew them up and with the Continental Grand Prix 4000 25mm tires they can handle any surface with ease. The price is steep but I did the following. I went to my LBS and they gave me a loaner set of rims and tires from the top 3 brands and they put each of them on my bike for me to use for a day. I put 50 miles on each and made the call. Most of the wheel manufacturers have this program with LBS's. You can look at all the stats you want and blogs, but at the end of the day it matters more what works for you and performance costs $$$. You are better off waiting a little while longer and buying something you love than just settling and saving a few hundred dollars. You won't doubt the $$ you spend on theses wheels after the first ride. Enjoy this site!

Submitted by thinking thing a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2012

Strengths:    Aero, hubs, durability, serviceability, customer service

Weaknesses:    Rotational weight? again though barely noticeable when the other characteristics are considered. price

Bottom Line:
I was hesitant to buy these wheels because of all the reviews I read where people were mentioning how noticeable the rotational weight of the rim is. Being a small light weight rider this was a serious concern for me. I'm glad I didn't listen!! These are superb all round race wheels! First, I should admit that there is a SLIGHT addition in rotational weight, but the rest of the wheel's charatcteristics more than make up for it. The aero advantage of these is not BS but very real. When pedaling into a slightly angled headwind they almost disappear beneith you and accelerate with ease. The added rotational weight is actually helpful if you are someone who enjoys sinking into a even smooth cadence. And although I'm a small guy these are very very stiff and nimble through corners. They're rediculously strong too. I've put mine through hellish roads and a few cross races and I've only had to true them very slightly and only once. And then there's the hubs!!! Zipp's 88/188 hubs are a masterpiece. Period. These alone could be justifiably soled for over $600 for the pair. They simply roll forever. My only issue with these wheels is price. at $1200 zipp is squeezing every penny out of these that they can get. Its not that they're over priced, but that price does bring in some worthy competition. Namely Mavic R-sys, dura ace c24's, or some reynolds carbon clinchers. If you run across a pair of these new for less than $900 dont think, just buy. but at full retail the options I mentioned are definetly worth checking out for comparison

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   SRAM EP

Similar Products Used:   r-sys c24's ksyrium elites sram gold reynolds attack

Bike Setup:   Independent Fabrication Steel Crown Jewel SE, Chorus 11, Zipp 101's, and ENVE Cockpit

Submitted by ggin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2011

Strengths:    Fast wheelset on decents, rolling hills, and flats. Wheel construction is solid, hubs are fantastic, rim aerodynamics is very good, braking is solid, and riding in the cross-winds is not a problem. Highly recommend if you like to go fast.

Weaknesses:    A tad on the heavy side... > 1,500 grams, expensive, and the response on steep climbs is sluggish.

Bottom Line:
Previous wheelset.. Easton Orion II. Great wheels and I use them for training now. Purchased Zipp 101s for race day events. I was looking for a fast wheelset so that I could bridge the gap. I heard these wheels are not terribly responsive on steep climbs and their assessment is true based on my experience. However, these are the fast aluminum wheels I have ever rode. Bar none. The hub construction is fantastic (bearings are smooth) and rim aerodynamics does work and it not all marketing. Riding in the cross-winds is stable and no complaints at all.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in north Scottsdale, AZ

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3Sl, Shimano Dura Ace, 50x34, 11-25 cassette.

firecrest clincher or zipp 101- hard to install?

Is it as hard to install clinchers on these wheels as zipp 404 clinchers?Read More »