Zipp Speed Weaponry 202 Tubular wheelsets - tubular

4.08/5 (12 Reviews)

At just 1,095 grams, the Zipp 202 Tubular wheelset is light enough to climb like a billy goatyet still power through the cobbles.

Submitted by Straight Pimp a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    Straight light weight and strength homie

Weaknesses:    Carbon weave does not match my crunk teeth

Bottom Line:
I went up the Swiss Alps spinning like a straight twista with a straight block in the back. Basically, Contador could not have help my wheel riding a GXSR

Favorite Ride:   Your Mom

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   You name it...I've ridden it. I am an Old G Playa

Bike Setup:   Dogma with SR 11

Submitted by lenslock a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, hubs, aero but shallow. Strong.

Weaknesses:    Price. But there are plenty more expensive and worse.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2010 tubular 202s (there is no clincher version, but for the avoidance of doubt etc.). I'm liking these ... the new hubs are unreasonably smooth ... in the stand they are pendulous around the valve and will spin for minutes back and forth. They have a nice wide tyre bed that mates perfectly with a 23mm tyre and a 25mm works well too. Nice "pro" look and 32mm toroidal rim with dimples cuts the air nicely. Stiffness is good if not spectacular - about the same as Boras. Comfort is very good. Climbing, descending, flats, these hoops do it all. 1095g for the set. Finally I've had some hard impacts wit these and they've stood up - seems Zipp has sorted their durability issues.

Favorite Ride:   competitive ones

Purchased At:   N/A

Similar Products Used:   Lots.

Bike Setup:   TCR Advanced

Submitted by scantar2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    Light, climb like crazy.

Weaknesses:    Fu*@in Flex!

Bottom Line:
Hmm...these are definitely light as batsh*t and climb like a goat banging EPO. I used these on a climb up to the top of Mt Evans and was spinning nicely on no lower than a 39-23 to the top. Here's my disclaimer: These are actually Zipp 202's laced to Cane Creek and sold as Cane Creek Aros so the hub is probably better than the Zipp hub that everyone is complaining about. I'll say this though...these are flexy as all getout. I can pull and push the rim a good 5mm each side and I can sure feel it on downhills. I have to do a LOT of correcting at speeds over 40mph and I'm not even sure going down on these is worth that. By comparison my Protons are as solid as Han Solo in carbonite. If the 202's on Zipp hubs act the same way, my suggestion would be to use these only for hill climbs and/or as TT riders if you're in a Merckx class but not if you plan on dive bombing off the summit unless you are REAL comfortable with downhills. FYI, I'm REAL comfortable with downhills and these make me not so much.

Favorite Ride:   Rides are like children...you can't choose a favorite

Purchased At:   local used

Bike Setup:   Masi Gran Corsa, Record except for the crappy KForce cranks.

Submitted by MarcoN a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    Ultra light weight. My bike went from 7.5 kg's to 6.8.
Utlra acceleration.
They look cool (in black, 2008 model) without being overly bling.
Standard spokes mean easy repairs.

Weaknesses:    After completing a stage race in the Norwegian Alps last season the bearings in the rear wheel (from 2005) had turnes to powder! Since I bought the wheels used I have no idea if this is due to previous milage or abuse bafore I got them. Many of the hills were in excess of 10km with up to 22% gradients, so the whole drivetrain was under extreme pressure.
If buying used, make sure you try them while mounted on a bike (to check that braking is in order). Check also for lateral cracks in the rims.

Bottom Line:
I had a pair of 202's from 2005 that I bought used on the net last season. The improved acceleration and drop in bike weight was amazing. I have a pair of Mavic Kysirium SL wheels that were ment to be used as training wheels...forget it! I coudn't go back to the Mavic's after the 202's. I struggled getting brakes to work with them. It turned out the rim was thicker in one spot wich obviously is not good. So this season I approached the importer and they were able to replace the old 202's with the new 2008 202's.
Zipp claim many improvements for the new wheels, most notably higher profile now with dimpling (and black). They seem to perform the same as my old ones except now the braking works.
I am 75 kg's and have never had any issues with strength despite some heavy impacts. The season is still young but after two visits to the mountains of Mallorca (Spain) this spring all seems to be as it should.

Similar Products Used:   These were my first carbon rimed wheels.

Bike Setup:   Scott CR1 team issue.
Dura ace group set.
Look Keo carbon/Titanium pedals.
Ritchey components.
Vittoria Corsa Evio CX tires.
Selle San Marco Aspide sadle.

Submitted by jmaccelari a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight
Stiff
Very responsive

Weaknesses:    Not crazy about the reddish finish

Bottom Line:
After having ridden my Zipp 404s for close on 6 months, I decided I needed a non-aero set of tubbies for windy and very hilly conditions. I decided to go for tubbies as a lightweight option to my clinchers. On the basis of the 404s I decided to stick with Zipp and am not disappointed. The same hub and spoke are mated to a much shallower rim providing a wheel more 200g lighter and less susceptible to side winds. I am very happy with their performance so far. They are pretty stiff and the weight reduction from my clinchers (Dura Ace and Easton Circuits) is very noticable. They spin up very nicely and are great for hills and provide the same performance as clichers weighing 700g more in windy conditions!

Purchased At:   Kyalami Cycles