Zipp Speed Weaponry 303 Tubular wheelsets - tubular

4.38/5 (32 Reviews)

Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubular(0xa3bc8200)

Submitted by alanw2007

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    Light and reasonable aerodynamic. Stable at speed; not affected too badly by crosswinds.

Weaknesses:    Braking is weak and uneven using recommended Swiss Stop Yellow pads. Wet weather braking performance is truly frightening. Dry weather braking grabby and juddery at low speed.
Poor tolerance on rear axle causes bearings to fit loosely, leading to lateral play at the rim. Not convertible to 11-speed Shimano, even though an 11-speed Campagnolo freehub body is available.
Hub design puts all the drive torque through the non-drive-side low tension spokes, causing creaking and flexing.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 2011 wheel set (silver 88/188 hubs).
Generally unimpressed with the quality of these wheels considering the high price.

Submitted by conejo_dan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2011

Strengths:    - Stiff and extremely stable
- Surprisingly crisp braking with a nice "jet landing" sound when braking
- I love riding on cobblestones with these wheels!

Weaknesses:    - Needs breaking in
- Rear wheel skids more easily at lower speeds probably due to the light weight and the pads

Bottom Line:

Finally took the plunge and dropped some serious cash for a pair of the latest 303s with 27.5mm width rims. I chuckle when US riders complain about their the condition of their roads (they haven't obviously ridden in Mexico City!). I've ridden Cosmic Carbone SL which are way too stiff for me (I only weigh 63kg) and the AC 420s are to flexy. I always wanted a pair of wheels that do it all but at the same time comfortable.

I mounted a pair of Vittoria Corsa CX's and pumped them up to 94psi (just like Cancellara when he rode his winning episode of the PR!)  My first ride was a huge disappointment! The wheels felt extremely stiff and unlively. I realized that i should have pumped them up to 110psi which helps liven up the tires and roll over bumps. After a couple hundred km and a few bunny hops here and there, the tires become more supple and the wheels at more life. I can stay the lateral stiffness, and power transfer efficiency makes up for the sacrifice in comfort. Most notable compared to clinchers that I've ridden is that they're a lot more stable in all conditions. I don't worry about I perfections in the road unsettling my handling. Aerodynamic advantage can be felt on flats but other cyclists still keep up or pass me on 60km/h descents. Their lightweight definitely is plus on climbs but after a while I don't notice this advantage. Their stiffness, stableness and lightweight make them perfect for moments when I need fast acceleration.

I'm convinced they are the best all round wheel set. Can't say the same the Vittorias. I find them harsh when compared to the Vredestein Superlite which I have on my 420s. I'm thinking about trying out Vredestein tubulars when I wear out the CXs.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride

Strengths:    * aero

* light

* cross-wind resistant

* strong

* look excellent when you remove the decals ;-)

Weaknesses:    * rear is not stiffer than other similar wheels, and less stiff than dura-ace carbon tubuluars

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2010 cyclo-cross version (which has 24 spokes on the front)

* Feel very light, and are easy to accelerate, which makes them a fun wheel to ride, esp up climbs or in sprints.

* aero: seem to cut though wind more efficiently that my previous bontager 46mm carbon rims, esp when in a slightly angled wind

* cross-wind resistant - these are much less prone to deflection than my previous bontrager carbon 46mm rims when in a cross wind. MUCH less deflection - to the point where I almost don't notice any deflection at all.

* tough - I've now ridden through tons of potholes (I'm about 175lbs) and over miles of gravel/crushed rock, in addition to aobut 1000 mi of rough road, and haven't yet broken out the spoke wrench. They feel bombproof.

* not so stiff: I can easily deflect them into the brakes if I sprint, and now usually ride with my rear brakes adjusted out quite a bit. My bontragers were about the same, so I am resigned to this kind of wheel flex. When I pedal hard, the wheels also ping, which is due to the spokes at the rear 2x junction rubbing stretching against each other due to the strain.

* tons of nice litle touches - the hubs have easy pre-load adjustment, and by far the smoothest hubs since 20 year old campy or dura-ace. My wheels will rock back and forth like a pendulum driven by the weight of the valve stem when held up. . very nice.

Favorite Ride:   any ride

Similar Products Used:   * bontrager race-x aero

* dura-ace

* cosmic carbones

Bike Setup:   R3, red, quarq, 303s

Submitted by mark a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2007

Strengths:    weight,

Weaknesses:    expensive n relatively unresponsive.

Bottom Line:
Ultra light but dissapointing areo n efficiency issues. Look cool but wish I'd tried the 404's.
Zipp have service issues also.

Favorite Ride:   where there's no traffic

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   fir antara, ultegra, discs and tri spokes

Bike Setup:   depends what discipline. Currently dura ace litespeed vortex.

Submitted by NormanS a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
This review is about my warranty experience. My wife and I both ride ZIPPs for training as well as racing. We've hit plenty of minor bumps and potholes without a problem. But a few weeks ago I finally managed to trash a rim -- but not while riding. I was trying to get a worn tire off the tim (Tufo rim tape really works), when my hand slipped and I ended up smashing the side of the rim really hard against the sharp corner of a concrete block that was lying beside me. It put a small crack in the rim. It was totally my fault -- you'd never expect a carbon rim to stand up to that kind of weird impact. My LBS sent it back to ZIPP and they warrantied it 100%, no questions asked!!!! Phenomenal service! All I had to pay was $50 to ship the rim to ZIPP -- ZIPP even paid the return shipping. I just about fell out of my chair when the shop told me. Since there was absolutely no manufacturing defect, I would have been delighted with even a half price warranty. From reading other reviews I know that not everyone has had the same level of warranty service, but all I can say is THANK YOU ZIPP!!!!

Madfiber or Zipp 303 Firecrest tubular?

I have tried the Zipp Firecrest tubular in 303 and 404. Never tried the Madfiber. Love the cosmetics of MF as well as the weight savings and warranty. Zipp seems to have an advantage. In technology as demonstrated by wind tunnel but I don't know if those tests translate to the real world. Anyone com ... Read More »

Carbon wheel decision (tubular): Reynolds 46 vs. Zipp 303 vs. Enve 1.45?

How would you pick between these three? Anyone test ridden all three?Read More »

Zipp 303's Tubular - Everyday wheel

I was asked by a friend if I thought the Zipp 303's Tubulars (Firecrest versions) could be used as an everyday wheel. My friend is about 177 lbs. I personally said i think so, and thought they'd make a great daily wheel. What do you think? His concern was overall strength of the wheel when using ... Read More »

Zipp 303 or Shimano 7801 Tubular

I don't race but I enjoy riding on Tubulars. The price is good for them now. Which one would be best for all purpose and century rides?Read More »

Zipp 303 clincher vs. tubular

anybody ridden both? Just borrowed a set of the tubulars, and they feel amazing. My regular set is Fulcrum Racing 1s, and the difference in feel is substantial. How would the Zipp clinchers compare? Do you lose a lot of the "smooth" feeling because it has the aluminum rim? Also, if anyone wan ... Read More »