Zipp Speed Weaponry 404 Firecrest Carbon wheelsets - clincher

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Zipp 404 Carbon Clincher Rear Wheel slips through the wind so easily you may want to take a weekend off from training to gorge yourself on cheeseburgers.

Submitted by Reggie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2013

Strengths:    Aero, weight, stiffness

Weaknesses:    Watch out if there are crosswinds!

Bottom Line:
I have owned this wheelset for over 5 months now and have logged over 2,500 miles on them. They replaced the stock Mavic Equipes that came on the bike (nice wheels but heavy). What a difference! I could immediately tell that more of my power was being generated right to the pavement. In calm conditions, I would say my average speed on my flat ride was a good 3-4 mph faster. With that said, I have ridden in crosswinds and must say strong gusts will definitely effect your ride. When descending down hills, this can be rather scary! So far, mechanically speaking, no problems. The wheels roll as true as when I bought them.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale SuperSix Evo Red

Submitted by Carl a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    Rims/wheels are aero. Firecrest rim shape is a real improvement in crosswinds.
Sapim spokes are sweet.

Weaknesses:    Zipp doesnt stand behind their products. The rims now require the use of nipple washers to prevent
the spokes pulling through the rim. (Its their secret) My rims did not include them and a spoke has pulled through.
Funny thing is Zipp thinks its my falt. Zipp will not sell me a new rim at any cost. They told me to purchase a new wheel.

Bottom Line:
Carbon wheels are great. They are an investment in your cycling. I own two pairs of zipp wheels. 404 & 808
The zipp rims are weak. Relying on nipple washers to prevent spoke pull through is lame. When purchasing a
2K+ wheel set you should think twice about the company that produces them. Zipp has made a name for themselves
the industry for selling flawed products and then blaming the customers when they fail.

My 808 front has a flawed brake track that makes the brake pulse. Zipp says " thats just the way they are" ,NICE !
Spoke pull through "you can buy a new wheel", Oh, really ! Yes I can and it wil be Enve rims and wheels.
No more zipp products for me.