Zipp Speed Weaponry 404 Tubular wheelsets - tubular

4.11/5 (28 Reviews)

• Store Price

Zipp 404 Carbon Tubular Wheel is now equipped with the advanced Firecrest aero rim shape, Zipp's leading all-around performer is an even greater threat to win any race on any terrain. The 58mm rim profile is a classic in Zipp?s arsenal that dates back to

Submitted by Richman909 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2010

Strengths:    Sexy
Light
Fast
Aero

Weaknesses:    weak rim and rim bed
expensive rim replacement
these wheels lack quality when compared to the retail price or even half of retail.

Bottom Line:
These wheels (along with 303's) accellerate faster then any other wheelset i've ever ridden. What really stands out are the aerodynamics and lightness. These wheels suck at high speed descents and corners. Every time I take a corner, the front wheel wants to wash out. Also the Bearings in rear wheel are smooth but they don't spin fast. When I flatted the rear wheel three cracks had formed on the rim bed immediately after I flatted. Also When I wanted to replace the front tire, it was glued on so tight that about a third of the rim bed got torn off in differnt spots when I was removing the tire.

Favorite Ride:   skyline

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   ritchey protocol, zipp 303's, ritchey pro, ksyrium elite, bontrager x lite carbon

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant tcr advance with sram red groupo

2008 specialized tarmac with 2010 sram rival and dura ace 7800 groupo

Submitted by mauvefox a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    Light, aero, cool.

Weaknesses:    FRAGILE, finicky braking.

Bottom Line:
Well, after 2 years of racing on my 404's they're now overpriced wall ornaments. I'm a cat 2 and bought these in '07. I've had relatively good luck with them, they're superlight and fast, plus they give you that way cool carbon mystique, but this year both wheels cracked on me (and I'm only 155 lbs on a 16 lb road bike). Zipp's crash replacement program seems like it's basically for show, it's definately not worth spending $350 per wheel to have these fixed.

If you're going to buy these know what you're getting yourself into. They are WAY overpriced and definately won't last a lifetime. They will only make you faster as long as they work. If you have $2100 just burning through your wallet, get 'em. If you want something solid enough to race on consistently, don't.

Favorite Ride:   Long

Similar Products Used:   Hed. Stinger, Hed. Jet, Mavic Ksyrium SL, DT Swiss 240, Chris King, Spinergy Rev-X, etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Six13 with full Dura-Ace. Chris King hubs w/ Velocity rims (the rear rim recently failed but Velocity warrenteed it).

Submitted by ahobie17 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, areodynamics, accelerates quickly, climbs well

Weaknesses:    Cost, and braking takes a litle getting used to as it's not as well as clinchers.

Bottom Line:
Light weight, fast accelerating wheel, I only have the rear wheel which I've ridden constantly since 2003. I've never had a problem w/ the wheel going out of true, but I weigh 155 lbs. Broke one spoke since purchasing in 04/2003. The ratcheting spring broke and I was sent three at no charge. Then just this year there was a poping coming from the wheel, which sounded like a spoke, sent it to Zipp and rear bearings were replaced under warranty (WOW that suprised me), at no charge and free return shipping. That makes me happy. I don't know why a few others have complained about bad cust. service. they have treated me well.

Similar Products Used:   Mavics, Nimlbe (flexy) crosswinds, Nimble Fly

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caad3, Dura Ace, Nimble Fly front, Zipp 404 Rear.

Submitted by Scott Murschel a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    Aero advantages over standard wheels: as one of the biggest riders in the pack, I lose time on the hills. These wheels are the ones to use to close the gap! Their customer service is outstanding. I had one minor issue with a front bearing and they replaced it and shipped the wheel back in no time. I was surprised to see it back in my hands so soon.

Weaknesses:    I could not wrestle a Conti 22 clincher tire on the front no matter what I tried. Having to run a 23's is the only limitation I've found. I did not try another brand of tire with a narrower width, however.

These wheels are not cheap, but high quality top-end products never are.

Bottom Line:
I'm on 2006 700c clinchers with a powertap. I have the extra spokes for strength and stiffness since I'm a bigger rider. I fall just under the 200 lb limit for the standard lacing, but opted for the stiffer wheels because I can generate quite a bit of force given my weight and power output.

These wheels are great for all types of races: crits, TT's, RR, climbing, windy courses, etc. They are light, fast, and stiff. After a great number of races they are still just like new and outperform everything else I have tried. They brake well and are very tough. I often ride the same TT course and have seen a significant improvement in my times using these wheels over Mavic K's and standard wire wheels. These are easily the best upgrade I've ever made. If you are looking to own one set of race wheels, these are the ones to get. I don't even have a cassette on my SSC's anymore since I bought the Zipps. The valve extenders for these wheels are very smooth, no caps, nothing to turn, just pump and go.

The quality is great, it seems that they have made the necessary improvements to overcome the issues they had early on with the reliability of their wheels.

Favorite Ride:   from the finish line back to the car

Purchased At:   online retailers