Airborne 2001 Carpe Diem Older Cyclocross Bike

2001 Carpe Diem

• $1500 - $3500
  • The Ultimate Cyclo-Cross Bike
  • You Choose Each Component to Create and Purchase your Dream Bike Online.
  • Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame
  • Multi-shaped Cold Worked Seamless Titanium Tubing
  • Cantilever or V Brakes
  • GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) engineered seat and chain stays.
  • Sizes: 50,54,56,58,& 60cm

• User Reviews (5)

starker white   Triathlete [May 16, 2003]
    Strength:

TITANIUM FRAME IS WONDERFUL STUFF AND AN EYECATCHER. ALWAYS CLEANS UP EASY AND NICE AFTER ROAD DIRT, SALT ,SAND AND MUD.

ON SHARP TURNS THE FRONT CENTER PULL BRAKE CABLE CATCHES ON THE TWO DERAILER CABLE STAYS MOUNTED ON THE FRONT HEADSET TUBE, WHICH CAN CAUSE ACCIDENTS. I HAD TO CUSTOM MOUNT BARREL STAYS INLINE ON BOTH DERAILER CABLES AND REMOVE THE ADJUSTERS MOUNTED ON THE HEADSET TUBE. THIS GAVE A LITTLE MORE CLEARANCE FOR SHARP TURNING. THIS DESIGN FLAW SHOULD BE CORRECTED BY AIRBORNE. EVERYTHING ELSE IS FANTASTIC!

GREAT BANG FOR THE BUCK COMPARED TO LIGHTSPEED. LOVE THE TOURING FEATURES ALWAYS WANTED AN ALL IN ONE ROAD BIKE, TOURING BIKE

marco hollander   Road Racer [Nov 19, 2002]
    Strength:

Nimble. Quick. Stiff. Forgiving.

Airborne 'albatross' is worth it, though

Whoa - what can I say, but the big 'A' makes my day! I hate to come off like a poetic doorknob, however, classy rides like this don't go out the door for only $399 for the frame! (Okay - its a y2K model) My lbs buddies made a sh*tlode of fun of me for even thinking about racing on one of these C-D's, however, I proved them wrong. Once p mped out with Ritchey CX cranks, XTR rapid rise, Dura Ace STI & Heliums - it weighs in @ 20# and rides like a dream! Rocketing through the straightaways, carving the corners and super smooth on the dismounts - carry - remounts makes it worth it all.

Similar Products Used: Surly Crosscheck - a tank.
    stephenson   Commuter [Jan 22, 2002]
    Strength:

The titanium frame provides a smooth ride that sucks up most of the vibrations and jarring of bad roads (a must in Houston!). The light weight (20# w/o my commuter gear) is gravy. The Airborne website gives an incredible range of custom options and parts, so I was able to get what I wanted from the start instead of having to swap things out at the bike shop.

Turnaround time for replacement parts - namely spokes, a new rim, and Airborne logo handlebar tape - has been my only complaint. My background is in mountain biking, so I tend to ride the Carpe Diem like a mountain bike. Except for the wheelset, it has performed admirably. I discovered the Velomax circuit wheelset to be virtually bomb-proof. Virtually is the key word here. Mine have shrugged off several nasty incidents, but eventually fate caught up to me in the form of a bent rim and several bent/broken spokes. This I''m not companing about - it happens. My complaint is that I was out of commision for a month while waiting for parts. My advice would be to select a wheelset that doesn''t require custom spokes if you can''t afford the down time, or puchase a second wheelset as a spare!

4 Months and over 1,000 miles after the purchase, I still look forward to the next ride. This bike has performed far better than its rider through a daily commute and training and charity rides. I needed a bike I could load up for my daily commute and strip down for a fast ride - Airborne delivered with the Carpe Diem.

Similar Products Used: Test rode a number of road frames; liked the weight of the aluminum bikes but did not like the ultra-rough ride (Houston has some pretty rough roads). Ti was a great compromise. After checking out a
    tmbrfrmr   Recreational Rider [Dec 21, 2001]
    Strength:

The bike handles like a dream. I liked the component options and used all Ultegra, Avid brakes, and a Woundup carbon fiber fork. I have had no problems of any kind. I did a lot of measuring using several systems to ensure a good fit. Critical for buying online.

So far I have no complaints about the product or the service from Airbourne. I would highly recommend this bike or company to anyone.

I bought this bike after looking at and riding Waterfords and Lemonds. I have put about 500 miles on it. I haven''t ridden lots of bikes but it outhandles anything I''ve ever been on.