Bianchi 2000 Axis Older Cyclocross Bike

2000 Axis

cyclocross, Shimano 105 components, Bianchi fork

mgwadz   Commuter [Aug 09, 2002]
Strength:

great component mix. smart gearing- 36/48 chainrings tallows me to go plenty fast, but is a good set up for slow conditions, too. raceface cranks rock. great all-round bike. fast on and off road. ´

rear MA3 rims failed a few times on me- I replaced with ultegra/open pro. front deraillieur is finicky to set up. a

This bike is awesome. I have a good road bike and mountain bike (which I race) but this is the one that I ride 80-90% of the time. I compared the specs for a variety of CX bikes in this price range and the Axis easily had the best set of components. so, 3 years and nearly 10,000 miles in all sorts of weather and this bike is still going strong. i've raced it a couple times and it handled great, it serves me well on and off road.

Jan   [Aug 25, 2001]
Strength:

Component Mix - Road controls and trail bike drive train. Also, cable routing as I like it for a get-dirty bike - across the top tube.

Ritchey tires. Small cranks and bars for a 60cm frame.

As originally equipped, this bike was 90% of the bike I would have built up myself. Tough to beat the component mix for my purposes (and price range), which is mainly dirt road, rain, and winter riding. The longer cranks and custom fit provided by the local shop were indispensable. Also, thanks to comments I saw here, I had them install an adjuster for the front derailleur cable. I found the stock Ritchey tires virtually impossible to remove from the rims, even with the right tools.
After one year, I still love this bike and of the four in my stable, refer to it as my "desert island" ride. If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one bike, this would be it.
While I can't comment on it's value as a bike for racing cyclocross, I would strongly recommend this bike for commuter use or mixed off/on road use.

Jax The Mad Bomber   Commuter [Jan 27, 2001]
Strength:

Deda 310 Elementi handlebar / AHeadset headset package makes any turn negotiable on any surface condition. Shorty Avid 6 cantilever brakes have saved my @!*# over and over.

None.

I put an average of 140 miles a week on this bike and let me say that in L.A. traffic, I wouldn't feel safer on anything else. It's lightweight but not skittish or darty. It handles gravel and wet leaves (with racing slicks on it) beautifully. I've been riding alot in the rain lately and it handles spectacularly. Great recreational/commuter/cyclocross bike. You can be sure that you are getting all the bang for all the bucks. Best of all, it is a beautiful machine to look at. I might as well be driving a Ferrari. Do the gnarley, hairball ride!!!

Similar Products Used: The buck stops here. Look no further than the Bianchi 2001 Axis for all of your cycling needs.
Zen Master   [Apr 23, 2000]
Strength:

Light and stiff and very responsive. The parts specification had some thought behind it - Shimano shifters with Race Face and XT drivetrain.

Stiff. Very jarring on rough roads. Stock tires could be better.

The looks on the faces of all the mountain bikers I past on the trails are priceless. They do catch me on the downhills though. If you are looking for a go fast cross bike look no further.

Tim   Road Racer [Jun 01, 2000]
Strength:

The Axis is a nice setup; light, stiff, and snappy. I like the slightly sloping top-tube, top cable routing for everything (I had a tough time finding this on a bike in the states) and the drillings and bosses for full racks and fenders. It works great as a commuter bike for me and is easy to change over to race cross, and does a great job at that as well.

I'm not completely sold on the Avid brakes that come with it, the stock Ritchey tires are a bit clunky, and they put a triple STI front shifter with a double-ring crank. I guess that will be nice if I ever add another ring to the Raceface crank (which is possible). In the meantime,it sucks clicking through an extra stop when you are racing. Also, there is nothing provided to tension the front deraillier cable once it's installed.

It's a great bike for cross racing and commuting. I'm super happy with it on single-track (it can out-climb a lot of MTB's) and it's decent on the road, light and kicked-back comfortable.
After a few small modifications, it is now godlike.

Similar Products Used: GT cross bike, older Bianchi Axis cromoly, assorted Japanese cross bike amalgamations.
BDW   Road Racer [May 31, 2000]
Strength:

thoughtful component spec, looks, value for dollar.

none apparent.

This is, in my humble opinion, simply the best thought out stock cyclocross bike available. Only the Kona Jake comes close in this price range, but its really not that close. Handling is spot on- but not too agressive. The wheels and component spec are well thought out. You could race this thing at the highest level right out of the box. It would also make one hell of a commuter or rain bike. If you wanted to own just one bike- this would have to be right at the top of the list.

Similar Products Used: Kelly knobycross, Redline, Kona Jake
Craig   Road Racer [Jul 07, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight, CX gearing, RaceFace cranks

Component sizes are too small for cross racing use. The components are all sized proportionately to a road frame rather than a CX frame. 52cm frame comes with short 170mm cranks, 105mm stem, and 42cm bar. Heavy stock wheels and tires.

This is a great platform for building a CX race bike. While the bike is spec'd more for trail riding, it's easy to change to a 12-27 cassette for racing. The custom 48/36 RaceFace crankset is the heart of this bike. Unfortunately the bike was spec'd with 170mm cranks and a 105mm stem for a 52cm frame. The bike shop swapped the original parts for 175mm cranks and a 120mm stem for no charge.

The top tube cable routing necessitates a top-pull front derailleur. The stock LX derailleur works OK, but is designed for a triple ring compact setup. Right now I get a lot more chain rubbing than I like, and shifts aren't as fast. A possible upgrade would be an Ultegra double with a Sturmey-Archer cable pulley (ala Indy Fab) for the bottom-pull Ultegra.

It's has a stiff ride due to the aluminum frame, but for a 45-60 minute cross race, that's the last thing you'll notice. In the off-season, this will be an excellent commuter/all around bike.

drek   Road Racer [Oct 09, 2000]
Strength:

component selection, lightweight, race face cranks

short crankarms (170 mm)

I bought this bike as a third bike to race cross on and commute. I now ride it more than any others. It is an all around fun bike. Handles singltrack, gravel roads, or curb hops in the city without complaint. Is a cross race ready machine right out of the box, and definitely has a cross geometry with a high bottom bracket. I'd like longer crank arms, but this is a minor complaint. Really is not as harsh a ride as I expected from an aluminum frame and fork. The 105 shifters work well with the XT derailler and Avid shorty brakes. I weighed this bike at 22.5 lbs stock with pedals, and the wheelset and tires are fairly beefy. Comes with pannier/ fender mounts so would make a great commuter and touring bike as well. This would make a great entry level cross bike, commuter, light tourer or road bike with road tires on it.

Similar Products Used: IF crown jewel
Niklas   [Oct 08, 2000]
Strength:

Lightness, versatility, strength

Saddle, stiff fork

The Bianchi Axis Cyclocross is an awesome bike. The setup is just right for a cyclocross bike. Everything is well thought through and the bike performs in everything from crosscountry to recreational roadraces. The fork is maybe a bit too stiff for rough rides, and steel could be a better deal here. The saddle is also something worth an upgrade. I did have initial problems with the brakes (avid cantis), but avid replaced the faulty brake without any hassle. I've raced it in everything from crosscountry to road. Recommend this bike for anyone who only wants to buy one bike, but wants to go everywhere. If you are a serious rider planning to ride mostly off road, I recommend the Bianchi Reparto corsa cc frame (steel), because it's probably a smoother ride in rough terrain. Or then change the front fork on the axis. A go anywhere bike that can also be raced (recreationally) anywhere with the right set of wheels.

frank   Recreational Rider [Oct 05, 2000]
Strength:

great all around bike as speced,have used in mixed riding, fire roads, bike trails & some technical singletrack;while not as good as my mountain bike in soft sand,it's more fun.

hard to keep front derallieur in adjustment,wheelset could be lighter.

I need a small frame,my inseam is 29'',the Cannondale 50cm XR800 is too tall,& is speced more like a road bike,47cm GT fits, but can,t compare in ride quality and value as speced,the best deal out of the box,my hardcore friends tell me it's race ready,I'll use it for fitness riding, road touring,charity rides,& short commutes.

Similar Products Used: various road, hybrid,& mountain bikes. this is my first true cyclocross,tested GT & Cannondale.