Jamis 2001 Nova Older Cyclocross Bike

2001 Nova

RoadLoad   Commuter [Jun 11, 2007]
Strength:

Very stable at speed. Nimble and responsive when stepping on it. Smooth, smooth, smooth - it is steel. Its much tighter and responsive than my IF Planet X - go figure? Price.

Paint could be better. Already there are nicks and scratches. Beats me where they come from but they're there.

This review is for a 2001 Nova frame. I bought it off EBay as NOS to build up as a commuter bike. I knew nothing about Jamis Nova frames before I bought it and I want to crow about how happy I am with it.

This is simply a great frame! It rides so smoothly and is so nimble and responsive. I love it! It's essentially replaced my spiffy road bike. I changed my commute from 13 mile to 20 each way because it's such a great ride. It comes with the eyelets for fenders or panniers. If you come across one grab it. You will be pleased as well.

Similar Products Used: Kinesis Superlight, IF Planet X, Specialized Allez Pro.
smcintos   Recreational Rider [Sep 17, 2003]
Strength:

Sturdy, nice componets and well made.

None so far.

I am a big guy and needed a sturdy bike to handle me. I researched and found for the money the Nova was the best buy. The bike rides very smooth and has been trouble free so far. I think the componets are a little better then Sora and seem to work perfect.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock, Trek 720
chris johnson   Recreational Rider [Jun 17, 2002]
Strength:

Looks cool; steal frame (even so, very unforgiving while mt biking), Tiagra components workd great and hard (even though cheap); shifts excellent; aggressive geometry (likes to stay on the ground and likes to turn on dirt better than on pavement)

Tiagra is a good deal for the money, but the hubs are cheap. I have severely pitted (and replaced) the races on my front hub so many times, so many times. But then I am mt bking on the thing. The 2002 Nova has better Richie hubs front and back. The the cables up front are routed poorly. Fixed on the 2002 (But the 2002 now looks like a bunch of hype, and a less comfy sadle).‹

I bought this bike so that I would have something other to spin long road miles on other than my mt. bike, plus I needed a tough commuter, plus I was thinking about trying some cross riding. But hey, who wants to ride on a grass football field. This bike is an excellent commuter, surviving the asphalt jungle with no problem. But then last year I blew the forks on my mt bike. No way was I going to stop mt biking. So, I started taking Nova to all of the exact places that I mt biked, 80 % cross country. I hit it all. I had no idea that this bike could take it. I had to true the wheels after every ride, but not too much. But this bike took it! (Sure, there are some dishes in the rims that are not going to come out.) I still have not bothered to get new forks for my mt bike yet (very soon, for Nova can't go on like this forever). I had no idea that this bike was this tough. I can log 30 x-country miles on sunday, true the wheels, and then do 40 road miles on monday. I love this bike.

Similar Products Used: First cross bike
funchallenge   Recreational Rider [Feb 06, 2002]
Strength:

solid, smooth, decent specs, incredible price

none encountered

Having formerly toured with a low-end mountain bike I''m looking forward to trying it with the efficiency of this much lighter bike. As a recreational roadie, commuter, tourer, this bike is perfect for me, and unless I start racing there is no reason for me to change. There is nothing particularly “sexy” about this bike, with the exception of the paint; but it’s solid, smooth, fun and extremely versatile. Less than a week after I got this bike I had my worst crash to date (my own stupidity). The bike flipped many times in the air and landed on the rear derailleur. The derailleur hanger was bent but I didn’t even notice it at first because nothing else loosened up, the entire bike still felt as tight as it did when I rolled it out of the store. BikeTek fixed the hanger for free on the thirty-day tune up and I’ve never had a problem with the bike since.

Similar Products Used: low end GT mountain bike
Robin Westcott   Recreational Rider [Feb 06, 2002]
Strength:

comfortable ride, smooth, solid, decent specs, incredible price.

none encountered

Having formerly toured with a low-end mountain bike I''m looking forward to trying it with the efficiency of this much lighter bike. As a recreational roadie, commuter, tourer, this bike is perfect for me, and unless I start racing there is no reason for me to change. There is nothing particularly “sexy” about this bike, with the exception of the paint; but it''s solid, smooth, fun and extremely versatile. Less than a week after I got this bike I had my worst crash to date (my own stupidity). The bike flipped many times in the air and landed on the rear derailleur. The derailleur hanger was bent but I didn’t even notice it at first because nothing else loosened up, the entire bike still felt as tight as it did when I rolled it out of the store. BikeTek fixed the hanger for free on the thirty-day tune up and I’ve never had a problem with the bike since.

Similar Products Used: Low end GT mountain bike
Todd Croteau   Recreational Rider [Dec 28, 2001]
Strength:

Quality for the money

Lack of dealers in the area.

I purchased a Steel Cyclocross Bike because I was becoming disenchanted with the feel of aluminun framed bikes (are you listening Specialized?) This bike is my winter road and trail training bike. It has served me very well during the last year and I am happy to report that besides replacing the saddle, handle bars and adding fenders everything else is stock and holding up well. The fit and finish is very good for a bike in this price range and it rides like dream both on and off the road. It could use a 50/36 chainrings in the front.

Similar Products Used: Jake the Snake and Surly Cross Check
  Commuter [Dec 03, 2001]
Strength:

steel frame! full brazons for more racks than you can sneeze at feels light to mtb user

only weakness is major big toe/front wheel intersection problem when the handlebar is turned I would have prefered 36/50 ish gearing, rather than 39/52 heel kicks the rear saddle bag a bit when commuting--longer chain stays would have been nice

I wanted to wait until I had logged some miles before I reviewed this bike, and having ridden 1500 miles on it this summer, I now feel qualified to say that I LOVE THIS BIKE! I was looking for a steel framed, versatile bike that I could commute on, do some fast road riding, plus take off down an occassional fireroad and this is it. This bike is a fast commuter and lighter than an mtb. I made some major modifications out of personal preference. I put a flat mtb bar (titec 118 bar), xtr shifters because I love rapid fire, xt rear derailleur, and avid v-brakes and I made a bike that rides very fast, and gives me upright posture which I find more comfortable and stable for commuting. At first I was worried about the rather high gearing on the bike--39/52 chainrings in front (and no granny ring). So I put a mountain cassette on the rear, and I find that I really prefer riding without a granny gear. I realized that triple cranks have so many gears that overlap. Its kind of nice to take away the granny ring, leaving 18 gears that I actually use, rather than having 27 gears many of which are never used. Wellgo pedals are holding up fine. I can honestly say that after shopping specifically for a steel cyclocross bike, there is no better value. All other similar bikes were more expensive and not as well speced.

Similar Products Used: looked at lemond poprad, fuji cross, surly crosscheck, bianchi volpe, kona jake the snake
bryant   Road Racer [May 28, 2001]
Strength:

Strong wheels and frame, good component package (9spd. tiagra), nice bright orange paint. Awesome for touring/ commuting.

None to speak of

I already like this bike more than the previous Trek xo1. I wanted a bike more suited to hard core touring/commuting. The orange paint was one of the factors, the rack braze-ons was another. Also I like well built/ strong wheels, even if they are heavy.
For the money there is nothing that comes close. The Trek X0-1 has a weak component spec (bar end shifters) for about $200 more. I do plan on racing this come the Mid Atlantic 'Cross season. Monkey hill should feel better with the steel frame.

Similar Products Used: 2001 trek XO-1..a good light race bike, but not good for commuting/ touring.