Kona 1999 Jake The Snake Older Cyclocross Bike

1999 Jake The Snake

Kona Jake The Snake

Dale   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 12, 1999]
Strength:

Light, tough aluminum frame
Good frame geometry
Nice component mix
Incredible versatility
Great value

OEM Nitro saddle unrideable
Cup and cone Sugino BB
Cogset (12-25) not big enough
OEM seatpost broke (after 2 years of hard use)

Sell all of your bikes (road, mtb, touring), and buy this one! Seriously, like all cross bikes, the Jake is truly the SUV of cycling, able to do a bit of everything pretty darn well. I ride mine on singletrack, gravel and dirt roads, and pavement, and it's a fun and capable ride on every surface. With road tires, it's a great touring/randonnee bike; with cross tires, it's at home on the dirt.You'll be amazed at the off-road terrain you can ride on this bike. I'll admit, it does take a bit more care and skill than simply bombing down the trail on a suspended mtb. But I see that as a positive challenge to me as a rider, rather than a liability. After riding one of these bikes, your mtb will seem slow and piggish, and your road bike will feel overly delicate and specialized (i.e., not versatile).Over the last two year's I've made quite a few changes on my Jake (fork, headset, rims, stem, saddle, cogset, seatpost, etc.), but most of those modifications are either just my personal preferences or due to normal wear-and-tear, and don't reflect negatively on the overall quality of the product. In fact, Kona has changed just about everything on the newer (than my 97 model) Jakes that I had problems with (e.g., Shimano cartridge BB, better Mavic rims, different seatpost), so the latest model Jakes are indeed new and improved. Since I got the Jake, my other bikes (Kona Hot mtb, Colnago Crystal road bike) are gathering cobwebs and dust -- the Jake is just too fun to ride! Get one, and you'll see!

Similar Products Used: No prior cyclocross bike experience; lots of experience with mtb and road bikes
Mark Westaway   Racer [Oct 03, 1999]
Strength:

-Value Priced
-Strong stiff frame
-Fast,perfect for city use.

-Canti.bakes
-Ball breaking seat
-Bone jarring ride

If you live in the city and race off-road this is great training bike. You can really beat on this bike and not have to worry about braking it. Its light enough for road use. And if you have to ride out of the city then this is the bike to have. And if a situation occurs where a little off-raod is need this is no problem for the bike, although the rider takes a beating.

Similar Products Used: None
Mossy   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 07, 1999]
Strength:

great spec for the money
sweet looks
unmatched versatility
lively ride

Screaming cantis
a bit undergeared
plastic saddle
old-school Sugino BB

I cant see why any dirt-lover would buy a full-on roadbike when cyclocross rigs offer much of the same performance, plus dirt ability. This rig is really an incredible deal. The only problems I had were with the stock Ritchey Logic cantis (Diacompes, really). The front would not quiet down no matter what I did. (yes, I know how to toe in pads). Replacing them with some old XT cantis from the early 90s were a perfect fix. After a year or so, the cup and cone BB started to creak, so I replaced that with a un-71.If you like to climb in the dirt, get a cassette with a lower gear. I run an XTR 12-32 with great results. Also, the plastic saddle might be great for muddy cross races, but I found the cover very uncomfy.One last bit of advice for crossers -- use two layers of cork tape if you like to retain feeling in your hands,

Similar Products Used: nothing like it!
Ben Appleby   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 28, 1999]
Strength:

Light, Sweet Handling

Heavy fork

Simply the best, nothing like it. Raced mine all season had the best ever results, the only thing being changed for the next season is the fork the original is a slug at 2.25 lbs, so time for an alan fork. It handles sweetly and just gobbled singletrack like it had never been fed.This one is staying in my collection of bikes its just soooooooo good

Similar Products Used: Diavolo 7020 wing cross
Fred James 531 cross
Dave V.   Racer [Oct 31, 1999]
Strength:

Light, well priced frame.

Complete bike is somewhat expensive for the components that you get.
LX cantis with Shimano straddle cable just doesnt work.

I love the bike that I have, but I can't recommend buying the complete bike. First, the LX cantis with a Shimano straddle cable just doesn''t provide enough stopping power. However, running a standard straddle cable and moving the brake pad further away from the brake arm should help. Other parts that I wasn't too impressed with (on a 1500$ CAN bike) were the UN-52 BB, the no-name 14g spokes, the non-Shimano front hub, and the Expedia saddle. My advice would be to buy the frame and fork only, and build up your bike from spare/used parts.

Similar Products Used: None
ToofLess   Racer [Oct 22, 1999]
Strength:

Stiff frame (cross racing)
Good spec
Looks Killer
Does anything
21lbs on the showroom floor!

Stiff frame (road riding)
Evil brakepads
crappy saddle

This is a great bike, that's all you can say! The only complaints I have were the slippery (when wet) saddle, ritchey clone pedals, and bar-honkin' road gearing. Also, the LX canti brake pads are the worst on earth (but that isn't Kona's fault). All of these are easily rectified. I paid $1,000 for mine (less pedals) and still feel like I got a great deal. This bike is a singletrack machine, and with slicks, a very capible road bike (if a little uncomfortable after long rides--steel is real for the road). I love it. Five smokin' turds!

Similar Products Used: There is nothing like a cross bike! Before I raced cross on a Hoo Koo E Koo (Fisher steel MTB)
Rachel Bagley   Recreational Rider [Apr 03, 2000]
Strength:

snappy, climbing, singletrack

LX cantis

best bike on the planet. ever. I ride it on the road, on singletrack. all you need is a set of semi slick tires and go anywhere.
If could only have one bike this is it.

Similar Products Used: GT, Bianchi, redline
John Morgan   Recreational Rider [May 11, 2000]
Strength:

Very Stiff Frame, Great buy for the money

Very Stiff Frame, anything over 50 miles it's starts to wear on you

Good training bike, I don't respect my bike very much but everyday it's ready to take a beating on or off road, and I beat that bike like an abused child but it hasn't talked back yet. Good bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: Redline cycle cross
richard barnett   Road Racer [Jun 23, 2000]
Strength:

it is good value and very light for the price. you get asked a lot of questions of mtb riders when you out on it . be differnt from mtb,s plus it is faster

it is a good bike but not with out faults. when the ground gets very muddy (all the time in the uk) you will have problems with tyre to frame and froks clogging up expecially if you use the wider michelin tyres . the only ather problem i have found is the frame is very short for reach which means when you get of your road bike on to this on it takes a bit of getting use to and that is about it after a year of hard riding/racing

a good bike that you can do any thing on with a few changes mine has done time tryles ,commuting,100 miles a day of road and any thing else you can think of and it still manages to put a smile on my face regulary.how did i manage with out this bike i do not know.