Ritchey 1999 Swiss cross Older Cyclocross Bike

Ritchey 1999 Swiss cross Older Cyclocross Bike

Ritchey Swiss cross

[Mar 26, 2003]
Aaron

Strength:

Lightweigt and supurb craftmanship on the the frame. Prestige tubing is excellent. A Ritchey frame still turns heads for those who are in the "know"

It is really more of a road bike with canti's than a modern cross bike. I would be weary of doing any heavy cross ridding on this frame.

I purchased an older Swiss Cross made with Prestige tubing used. I loved the way Prestige bikes rode back in the mid 90's so I thought I'd find a frame made of it after riding a Specialized M4 alloy frame for a year. The ride is exceptional! Anyone who has never ridden a frame made with Prestige is missing out. This bike can be ridden all day in comfort. I use it mainly as a commuter and road bike.

Specialized S-Works M4 Cross Bike

[Nov 18, 2002]
Alexander Dormann

Strength:

single trail, weight 10.2 kg

low rear tire clearance (30 mm) color splits off fastly

The swiss cross flies through singletracks, climbs great, and since i´ve got froglegs, it also has an awesome handling on technical courses and on tricky downhills.

MTB: serotta, cannondale, trek, etc. Road: masi, cannondale

[Nov 24, 1999]
Frank
Racer

Strength:

Classic cyclo x geometry, light steel frame.

beautiful paint is chiped in some spots. cables run under frame.Should be top mounts.

This is the best cyclo-X bike I have ever used.The bike is very light at only 5.2 lbs. That rivals most light weight road frames.and seems to damped the bumps on rough race courses. also very stable handeling .Go out and get one if you are into cross racing .

Redline Conquest,Guerciotti cross

[Nov 29, 1999]
Red Owl
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Sweet all around

Absolutely none

This ride is too sweet. If I were limited to only one bike, it would be the Swiss Cross. I wanted to test it on a variety of conditions before submitting a review, and with every new challenge, the bike’s performance has far exceeded my expectations, whether on pavement, gravel, or (especially) dirt.Starting with the frame, its smooth welds and juicy paint job is seamless. The trademark Ritchey tubing (tasty Dedacciai steel) and cyclocross geometry provide a blissfully responsive and comfortable ride. In the rear, swept seatstays damp out small-to-midrange trail shock and road vibrations, while the investment-cast dropouts keep the rear axle nice and stiff. Most everyone scoffs at the seatstay design, claiming it doesn’t do jack squat. Fine, you folks just keep on telling yourselves that. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to enjoy total posterior comfort and extra hours in the saddle. There’s no way to describe the beauty of this bike’s handling. It is like a magic carpet ride and all but the nastiest bumps and potholes are absorbed before reaching your seat. The fork compliments the bike’s geometry and handling.The Ritchey components also perform well. Most noticable is the OCR wheelset, which is road-light but strong as hell. I actually feel more confident bunnyhopping on these wheels than with my heavy-duty MTB hoops, and after 1200 mixed miles they are still dialed in straight as an arrow with no need for truing. I also dig the threadless stem which is a cinch to flip over for a higher rise, even whilst out on the trail.Ritchey’s cyclocross tires are great too. I’m running 35mm and I am surprised how well they behave in the dirt, more grippy and predictable than I thought possible with skinny tires.Swap on some slick tires and it’s a rocket on the road. I’m contemplating moving up from 48/36 to at least 51/38 (if my front derailleur can handle it). But I enjoy the ride so much I really don’t care about top speeds or keeping up with the peloton. Instead, I like the freedom of being able digress on whatever trail or road happens to come around the next bend -- paved or unpaved.Yeah it’s a bit pricey. But I’m in it for the long haul. I have an 8-year old Bridgestone whose frame was constructed with Ritchey tubing and that thing is still sweet as ever, so I’m anticipating a long and happy partnership with the Swiss Cross. It’s perfect for the kind of riding I enjoy most. If I could, I’d be on this thing all day, every day. It’s the Swiss Army Knife of bikes. Simple elegance, proven design, multiple functionality, and timeless style, with some brilliant new technology disguised by its classic looks. It’s a joy to ride.

Tested all sorts

[May 10, 2000]
Bob

Strength:

All around use with very little drawbacks on the road or the dirt.

Ritchey Zero wheels are a pain to switch tires on

road gearing on a cross bike is useless. The key is a Ritchey crank which will allow a 34 small ring up front and 9 speed XT in the back which allows a 11/34 range. Then you can go where mountain bikes go and blow them away in the process because this bike is fast and efficient. The steel frame is light and compliant, steel is the key. Oversize aluminum is another waste of time on a CX bike. It will beat the crap out of you. Once the speedmax tires were worn in a little bit, the bike is 95% as fast as a road bike and not as fragile or limiting. Slam through potholes, rough pavement, RR tracks, gravel shoulders, curbs, etc., no problem. Ride all singletrack except for the last most heinous 10%. It will beat you up more than a MTB, so it isn't for all day singletrack epics. All day on the road, however, the gearing allows you to ride serious steeps and stay aerobic. This really is a go anywhere bike, I was at first amazed at how it could bomb through the rough stuff. I haven't touched my MTB or road bike in 3 months.

checked out all CX bikes on the market, also ride Bottecchia SLX road and Litespeed obed MTB

[May 03, 2000]
Peter Connolly

Strength:

fantastic ride, very nice box crowned fork, light weight

a little pricey

great steel ride, worth it if you can afford it

[Mar 25, 2001]
Rob

Strength:

Frame design and geometry, by far in a class by it self. Nothing compares to TR's design, ingenuity and refinement.

The only nit-pick I have is that the TR cross fork, though beautifully made, is a bit on the heavy side.

Don't cheat yourself, I've tried them all and the Ritchey is the the last word in Cross. At home on or off road. I put 5000mi on it this winter. I commuted thru rain/snow/mud and potholes all winter long on this rig and it never let me down. Put your trust in Tom.

Ibis, Bianchi, Voodoo, Indy Fab etc. I've tried them all. None compare.