Giant 1999 Farrago DS Older Hybrid Bike

Giant 1999 Farrago DS Older Hybrid Bike

1999 Giant Farrago DS, hybrid, Hybrid Mix components, RST 801 fork

[Jan 21, 2014]
Dan

Strength:

Strong frame easy gearing I can shift right and left almost simultaneously without any trouble quick to relay each command.

Finding someone who can adjust the derailleur correctly. I have learned to do it my self . The original derailleur needs to be up about an inch or so from the bottom of the frame or it will not adjust out correctly. I have no ticking of the chain in any of 24 gears. Since i do not race the weight of the frame is of little problem once you ride a lot.

Out side of repair people not knowing what to do correctly. I love this bike I have had it for 14 years ride it every day over the last two years I have over 20,000 miles on it I would not mind having one just like it with a new composite frame, but I ride this enough weight is of little problem.

[Jun 14, 2011]
Spatts

Okay, so I'm not a cyclist and, in my mid-fifties not an Olympian but not a couch potato either. I like the recreational ride, so take my opinion from that perspective.

The ride on this bike is comfortable, especially when hitting that unexpected pot-hole or shift in elevation. Braking has been quite responsive. I still find the bike attractive and cospetically it has held up well.

I find the suspension makes climbing any hill difficult, and the gear shifting not very sensitive. For this reason, I keep it for short, recreational rides.

[Jun 19, 2000]
Bob IngShock

Strength:

Full Suspension with 700c rims: This IS your father's Oldsmobile. CroMo Frame. It's cheap enough on sale to consider upgrading one into a hipo hybrid. Here's a twisted definition of Product Strength: Since no one wants one, THEY'RE ALL ON SALE!!

Component group is suc-a-le-vous as they say in France. I was also leery of RST forks and the rear shock. But hey, the one I rode was on sale for $399.00. I have been waiting for an upscale Hybrid with higher end components AND THE GRAIL: Full suspension. This wasn't it.

There was broken loose chunk pavement in the alley behind the shop where I test rode it; This bike hit that stuff like a Buick Electra. SMoooth. I couldn't face the thought of upgrading such a bike, which is what I'd force myself to do sooner or later. It needs better rims to support my carcass and the indiscriminate way I ride on the street. I was also afraid the shock would blow up early and I wouldn't be able to find one the same dimensions. Turns out the same OEM supplier makes higher grade shocks of the same dimension for MTB's. RST's 801 didn't do that well on the reviews. I would like to build up a frameset like this.
I bought the Trek 7700: Closest thing to what I was looking for, and it earns me the scorn of Roadies and Dirt Bikers alike. (I like it, and I'm comfortable so I ride more/longer.) I give it 3 snapping turtles and three lizards for cushy ride. (NOT VIABLE OFF ROAD!)