Cannondale 2001 R2000Si Older Racing Bike

2001 R2000Si

clydegoode@yahoo.com   Road Racer [Jan 30, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight. Fast and responsive at high end speeds at 35-40 plus mph.
It's stiff and worth dollar I paid for it. Cannondale did a awesome with major components.

Seatpost, seat and bars.
I also have to be careful when shifting from into big and small rings at high speeds.

John at Dothan Cycle & Fitness actually fitted my riding style and body structure for the C'dale r2000si 54 frame with first generation bomb proof Mavic Kysirium wheels set. I haven't changed any components on this bike since I bought except for the seatpost, seat and bars which are all carbon now. This bike is still in great condition after 3 minor crashes. I love it and still kick those high bikes to sleep on a regular bases. It climbs like mountain goat and accelerates like a sports car. I love the R2000si. Riders always ask about the bike at least once a week.

Similar Products Used: I just bought a Branch San Lorenzo stadium frame duraAce setup. However I still ride the my Cannondale R2000si Caad5 on 75% of my rides bc it fits like a glove.
Dean Alexander Danville Ca   Recreational Rider [Jan 31, 2004]
Strength:

The stiff frame has great power transfer, and the geometry is super-responsive, almost to the point of being squirrelly at low speeds (if you're not paying attention). At high speeds, 35-45mph, the bike is very stable and an exciting ride. The bikes cornering is exceptional, and frankly I'm afraid to find the bikes limits. I know it has more to give.

The occasional rough road can be quite jarring, but I have read that the difference between carbon and aluminum in terms of shock absorbtion is alot less than advertised, and that the body cannot feel the difference in the range of vibration transfered though the materials at those levels. Certainly, tire pressure is a huge issue here... a tire above 130 psi transfers alot more shock than one pressured to 100 psi.

This is certainly a sweet ride, stiff, very fast, very responsive, and it's preformance exceeds my own. I've put 1400 miles on it over the past 7 months, and everytime I've retuned from my ride, I'm thrilled with the bike. On some roads however, I wish I had bought carbon, but those roads always end, and I can thoroghly reccomend the bike. I got an incredible deal because the bike was two seasons past. I always wonder how the new cad 7 with optimo tubing would behave. They are supposed to be lighter and more shock absorbing. I have improved the set up over the past couple of months, the first been a carbon seat post, which has slightly improve the "shock" value of the frames stiffness. I'll try carbon bars before long. I've also started down that never-satisfied road of what if I took a couple of pounds off the bike? I put a pair of American Classics CR 420's in place of the Mavic elites which were stock. These are really impressive wheels, a pound lighter and much more aero. At least I feel faster. I like these quite a bit better than the Mavics.

Similar Products Used: early-eighties Mercian frame with Shimano sis (first generation) campy and modolo.
JJ   Road Racer [Sep 18, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent performance! This is a sprinter's bike due to its stiffness and and optimal power transfer. Power pyramid is often imitated, but never duplicated. SAFE! Aluminum frames are being made WAY to light. Be careful with those rider weight limit frames. This is a relatively light frame. Price is perfect; it is like a two for one sale!

Retarded bottom bracket cable guide!! It is connected with a plastic push pin.

First of all, I am a bike junkie. I love bikes that are true performers. I Have ridden EVERYTHING there is to ride and I found this bike to be an exceptional purchase. I have always loved the Italian framemakers and their craftsmanship (and still do), but I think that this American frame stacks up to anything out there. Before I bought this frame, I was looking to spend up to $2500 for a frame and switch my Record kit over, but I could not find a frame that would give me $1000-1500 more performance. I was pleasantly surprised by the CAAD 5's ride quality. I had always heard that Cannondales were unreasonably harsh, but the hourglass stays absorb a lot of the road vibration. However, this frame is not the most comfortable that I have ridden and it is clearly not a century bike. This is a "stripped to the bone" racing tool, not a touring bike. The frame has a great, true racing geometry with a long top tube (unlike Trek's weak geometry for the 5900 and Colnago's ridiculous "all day" racing geometry that asks the rider to use layback posts and gigantic stems). The power pyramid down tube creates an incredible power transfer where you get the most out of each pedal stroke. I decided to go with an aluminum steering column this time. I have a LOOK HSC 3 on my Pinarello and it is just not stiff enough. This bike suits my body type (6'0" 165)and my pedal mashing style. My best advice is: Find a bike that suits your riding style not your eyes. I looked at frames (deRosa Planet, Ciocc Challenger etc...) that I would crush like aluminum cans, before I got some good advice from a former pro. Find YOUR bike.

Similar Products Used: Everything and I mean everything. My next bike is the GIOS Carbon!
Marc Boucher   Road Racer [Jun 15, 2002]
Strength:

Perfect combination of strength and flexibility to make a fast and robust ride.

None which I hhave found yet.

After 4 mountain bikes, this is my first road bike. I was insecure at first, but this is a great machine to help make the transition. The ride is smooth, very comfortableand fast. The bike is very responsive, but does not overreact.

Similar Products Used: None
jagiger   Road Racer [Oct 26, 2001]
Strength:

Fast, light, stiff yet smooth riding.

Really nice ride, very quick & handles great. A big jump from my ''75 Peugot & I''m still beaming... the new technology is awesome from the shifters down to the wheel. This bike is also incredibly light. Get on if you can.

Similar Products Used: None
Gery Morey   Recreational Rider [Jun 25, 2001]
Strength:

This bike is really fast, it is comfortable, the wheels(kysyriums) are great. I was afraid of Aluminum, but it has surprised me, it is definitely not as harsh as I thought.
This is a great bike!!!!

None so far

This is a very fast and comfortable bike that I would recommend to anyone.